PDA

View Full Version : remove WG Deep Gloss Paint sealer?

roth79
11-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I detailed a new gmc pu in May when brand new with WGDeep gloss paint sealer 3.0 and collinte 845 after the proper prep. I need to do it again as Im in southwest florida and its definately time. I have some time coming up at Christmas and need to cleaner her up real pretty. Its a daily driver outside kept.

Will claying take all of the sealant off or do I need to use a special soap before, clay, polish and 2 coats of WGDPS again or just clay?

Thanks for the advise, my truck looked great in May with all of your advise.

Thanks,

Roth

KneeDragr
11-23-2012, 02:10 PM
How long has it been? If its been 6 months or less, id just use a paint cleaner.

BobbyG
11-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi Roth,

Sealants and waxes do a great job at enhancing and protecting the paint on our vehicles. But like most coatings we apply they begin to degrade the minute they're applied. Some may think this is strange but these coatings sacrifice themselves in order to protect the finish.

Since everything was applied in May and the truck is outside 24/7 I'd give it a thorough wash then clay. To prep the finish for a long hard Florida winter I'd use a paint cleaner prior to applying the sealant and wax....

roth79
11-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks Bobby any special wash or megs gold work? Thats what I use weekly.

BobbyG
11-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks Bobby any special wash or megs gold work? Thats what I use weekly.

Meguiar's Gold Car Wash is a great wash for the money and it's been around for quite some time.

Clay - Use a clay like Meguiar's or Mothers

Cleaner - Duragloss #652, Four Star Ultimate PreWax Cleanser, SONAX Premium Class Paint Cleaner or Collinite Sapphire PreWax Cleaner #840 are great examples of quality paint cleaners..

Sealant

Wax

roth79
11-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks Bobby Im going shopping in my cart now, or wait till Midnight!! I need pads for the Megs v2 also so Im on it.

Thanks,

TOFAST4U2C
11-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Meguiar's Gold Car Wash is a great wash for the money and it's been around for quite some time.

Cleaner - Duragloss #652, Four Star Ultimate PreWax Cleanser, SONAX Premium Class Paint Cleaner or Collinite Sapphire PreWax Cleaner #840 are great examples of quality paint cleaners..

Sealant

Wax

Bob, would you use anything different on a clear coat finish vs SS? Thanks

RMM
11-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Cleaner - Duragloss #652, Four Star Ultimate PreWax Cleanser, SONAX Premium Class Paint Cleaner or Collinite Sapphire PreWax Cleaner #840 are great examples of quality paint cleaners.
Wax

I would be carefull with #840: it is designed for single stage paint.

I use either Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer (if you use WDGPS, probably this is the most advisable) or Auto Finesse Rejuvenate.

roth79
12-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Sealant

Wax

I have WG paintworks I bought here, will that be ok to use after a good wash? I also bought some Lake Country pads 5-1/2, a few different colors, I have a Meguiars V2 would I use the White pad for the cleaner?

Thanks as always your advise is always welcome and appreciated here

BobbyG
12-16-2012, 05:17 PM
I have WG paintworks I bought here, will that be ok to use after a good wash? I also bought some Lake Country pads 5-1/2, a few different colors, I have a Meguiars V2 would I use the White pad for the cleaner?

Thanks as always your advise is always welcome and appreciated here

I would thoroughly clay the finish prior to using a paint cleaner....

Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer (http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html) is yet another quality paint cleaner. It's great for deep cleaning the finish and also incorporates fine fillers for hiding minor swirls and line defects.

A White foam pad is an ideal venue to use with this type of product. :props:

roth79
12-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks BG as always your posts and advise are great Thanks.

OMRebel
12-16-2012, 07:06 PM
...To prep the finish for a long hard Florida winter....

:haha:

Nice, BobbyG. Your thermostat in your signature says you know all about hard winters. 37 degrees, really? 70 here.

To the OP, throw some Dawn in your wash bucket with the Meg's for good measure. I use Griot's Paint Prep after washing - it works great.