PDA

View Full Version : Intimidated

Pages : [1] 2

TrevorW22
11-23-2012, 02:01 AM
I don't know if this is completely normal, and I hope it is, but I'm completely 100% terrified of learning to use a buffer. The thought of going anywhere near my car with a machine scares the absolute crap out of me. I know in the back of my head that as long as I am careful and follow instructions that I should be ok, but the other half of my head is like "AHH!!!" Is this normal, or am I just super weird and a puss?

c5z06camaro
11-23-2012, 02:07 AM
Is it a da or rotary? if it's a rotary what i would do first is practice it with a junk yard or trunk until you mange to control the rotary. After you learned to use the machine and feel comfortable with it, then you can do it on your on car.

TrevorW22
11-23-2012, 03:45 AM
Is it a da or rotary? if it's a rotary what i would do first is practice it with a junk yard or trunk until you mange to control the rotary. After you learned to use the machine and feel comfortable with it, then you can do it on your on car.

Well right now I don't have either, but just the thought of using it is intimidating to me. I know I want to start learning, and I need to learn it.

Shortspark
11-23-2012, 05:26 AM
I had the same problem this past summer. I bought a brand new Mercedes Benz ML350 in Diamond White (paid an extra $1500 for this beautiful paint). I've been driving cars for 50 years and have been washing and waxing for longer than that so you can imagine I have a lot of experience - by hand. Since I've detailed all those cars by hand I decided to get a Griot 6" polisher for the Mercedes and really do it right. When it arrived and turned it on I said to myself this thing is a beast - no way does it get near that Mercedes!!

I use Duragloss products for the most part and had a lot of success with my Silver Honda Ridgeline just doing it by hand but after a day of working on it my hands and joints would get tired and sore. They just are not as strong as they once were. So, I decided to take the Griot out once more and practice. I used it on the Ridgeline, the shower stall, a friends old Sonata, my hot tub interior, range and counter tops, etc. If it needing cleaning or buffing I would reach for the Griot.

I found it was not a beast after all. It was easy to control and I was able to get the hang of it rather quickly. The jobs seemed a little better than by hand but certainly a lot quicker. I decided it was time to do the Merc. I had Griot pads and also some smaller Uber pads. I used my Duragloss 601/105 combo and since then also the 601/111 combo. Both times I was impressed by my polishing performance and the outcome. I was able to spread the products very thinly, almost transparant, which is important. The final buff to shine was no trouble whatsoever because of how thin I could apply the sealants by machine. I was never fully able to control this by hand but now I can.

I think the lesson here is that the only way you will be comfortable is to practice. Detailers use these machines every day but we only take them out a couple times a year. You can't get familar enough with that kind of limited use to have the confidence to work on a car, especially a new and expensive one. But if you find ways to just get it in your hand and work with it on older cars, shower stalls and all those other things I mentioned, you will get the feel for the polisher quickly and easily. You will then wonder how you ever detailed cars without a polisher before. Good luck!

BobbyG
11-23-2012, 07:29 AM
You've become a little paranoid listening to all the hype from those that never used one..

The rotary polisher is nothing more than a tool.

The rotary was out long before its dual action counterpart and has unfortunately gained some bad press. Can you damage paint more easily with a rotary? Yes, but with a little practice and experimentation you'll quickly realize that a rotary polisher isn't something evil lurking in the shadows waiting to tear your flesh from the bone.

I bought my first rotary in 1968 and still have it today. Why did I select a rotary you ask? Because it was the only machine available in those times. Did I ever burn the paint on a sharp corner or an edge? Yes, and it's a painful lesson you try to avoid.

Rotary polishers because of their design work finishes so much faster. I know of no shop that doesn't use them. I use my rotaries all the time and with great success and efficiency. Once you pick up a rotary and begin to use it you'll quickly learn how great and valuable a tool it really is...

Lowejackson
11-23-2012, 08:08 AM
It is really impressive what a modern DA and polishes can achieve especially taking into account the MF pads

The best advice I can think of is to buy a scrap panel, ideally one which matches your car & colour -this is not critical. Take your new DA or rotary and just start buffing with a mild polish and pad.

I am sure I have seen a video with Mike Phillips showing some young girl how to use a DA in a couple of minutes

DaveT435
11-23-2012, 08:48 AM
I don't know if this is completely normal, and I hope it is, but I'm completely 100% terrified of learning to use a buffer. The thought of going anywhere near my car with a machine scares the absolute crap out of me. I know in the back of my head that as long as I am careful and follow instructions that I should be ok, but the other half of my head is like "AHH!!!" Is this normal, or am I just super weird and a puss?

The DA's are extremely safe...I gave oneof the teenagers next door a couple minutes of instruction and turned him loose on my Camaro. Now it depends on the paint...but I really think it would be pretty hard to damage paint with one of there as long as common sense is used. I've also had both my sons using a DA on paint with just a couple minutes instruction on technique. Really not much to fear...

billmac
11-23-2012, 08:53 AM
:iagree:

BobbyG
11-23-2012, 08:55 AM
MAN, I must have gotten up way to early because I could have sworn this thread had something to do with a rotary machine or at least that's what my brain registered.....:doh: :dunno:

Dual action polishers are a great tool for both the beginner and professional. Once you use one you'll be shocked at how easy they are to use and how great of an impact they have on your finish.....and that's in a good way!

DaveT435
11-23-2012, 09:09 AM
MAN, I must have gotten up way to early because I could have sworn this thread had something to do with a rotary machine or at least that's what my brain registered.....:doh: :dunno:

Dual action polishers are a great tool for both the beginner and professional. Once you use one you'll be shocked at how easy they are to use and how great of an impact they have on your finish.....and that's in a good way!

Another cup of coffee and you'll be fine Bobby...I think it's because he just said buffer...lol

cartman57
11-23-2012, 09:25 AM
With the correct machine, a dual action (DA) any brand, correct pad, polish and finishing product, there should be no reason to worry.
Read, watch the videos, read some more, watch some more then practice on a small taped off section if you don't get a junk yard panel.
You'll be surprised at the results.
A lot of great pro detailers and hobbyists on this forum that'll offer suggestions and help if you have trouble, take the advice.
We've all started somewhere..........(get a credit card ready!) you'll be hooked on making your vehicles shine like they were meant to be and proud of it.

Mike Phillips
11-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Wrote this just for you...

It's not that hard... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/55512-s-not-hard.html)

Note these people are not just "learning" on daily drivers aka new cars, they're learning on someone's "toys" or Special Interest Vehicles. More risk for me, more fun for them...

In the below live broadcast I show a 15 year old boy how to machine polish

Live Broadcast Video - 1965 Plymouth Valiant - Extreme Makeover (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/49293-live-broadcast-video-1965-plymouth-valiant-extreme-makeover.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1436/1965Plymouth034.jpg

And in this one I show a 21 year old girl how to machine polish

Video & Pictures: 1965 Fastback Mustang - Gtechniq EXO Show Car Makeover! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/53807-video-pictures-1965-fastback-mustang-gtechniq-exo-show-car-makeover.html)

Trista working with the rest of the team to machine polish this 1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1511/TristaBuffingFortheFirstTime001.jpg

Trista removing swirls on a show car...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1511/TristaBuffingFortheFirstTime002.jpg

And in this one I show a 80 year old man and a young lady and here boyfriend how to machine polish for their first time...

Video and Pictures - Two 1967 Camaro's - Show Car Makeovers! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/51175-video-pictures-1967-camaro-ss-1941-plymouth-coupe-show-car-makeovers.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1465/CamaroNight001.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1465/CamaroNight002.jpg

PLUS you have everyone on this forum to help you along the way...

:)

vet
11-23-2012, 12:12 PM
It's not that hard, if I can use one, anybody can. I got the PC 7424 XP.

There's lots of help on the forum, so go ahead and get the one that think will serve your needs the best. There's plenty of help on the forum for that choice too.

Mike's book is a great benefit also, or you can get the e-version, I have the book. The AG videos can help you get started.

silverfox
11-23-2012, 12:16 PM
If you can stop the rotation with your hand its never going to hurt your paint with a proper pad. Only way to hurt your paint with a DA...drop it on the car.

SON1C
11-23-2012, 01:40 PM
DAs are fool proof, pickup a griots polisher, do some research watch some videos, and you'll be fine..