PDA

View Full Version : HF acid and plastic center caps

davidc11291
11-22-2012, 03:27 PM
I've recently added HF acid to my arsenal for heavily neglected wheels. I've found that some plastic center caps are completely unaffected by it, while other plastic center caps will be bleached white. How do you deal with plastic center caps when using HF acid? And taking the wheels off the car is beyond what I'm willing to do.

neat e34
11-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Funnily enough while I was washing my car last weekend I sprayed some HF acid on one of my wheels & when I agitated with soft brush it took all the white paint off my BMW centre cap. Only happened with the one centre cap, didn't affect the blue or black paint & my wheel caps are old & in generally poor condition anyway so it's not an issue....
New wheels to be fitted soon!
Assumed it was due to the age of the parts but maybe something in certain paints doesn't play nice with HF...

Also are you saying the whole cap goes white?
Just a faded look or is it possibly removing paint?

statusdetailing
11-23-2012, 01:58 AM
BMW's are notorious for this. I use Griots garage wheel cleaner if I have any doubt that the wheel could be damaged. When in doubt stay away from HF! Never use on polished uncoated aluminum wheels (which are on some BMW's btw). Beware! I just stay away from using it on plastic hubcaps. HF is great on dd's. You can pay to replace a damaged center hubcap or even to replace the wheel, fairly easily, on a cheap dd. If a ferrari comes in and you damage the wheels, you are screwed! You either make an insurance claim or pay thousands out of pockets, and your reputation is screwed. Keep it off of exotic vehicles and expensive aftermarket wheels. It's always better to be safe than sorry. I know that all sounds scary, but it's a great product when used cautiously.

HF is definitely in my arsenal of cleaning products but I only use it once a week or less these days. Some wheels simply won't come clean without it. It also works very well on severely neglected exhaust tips. It will help remove rust on chrome bumpers, trim pieces, bolts, etc. as well.

I've thought about upcharging for using HF. I don't like working with it and I hate it when customers bring me a car that is completely neglected.

Does anybody else upcharge for this?

Vegas Transplant
11-23-2012, 06:42 AM
bmw center cap stickers in Wheels, Tires & Parts | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=bmw+ceter+cap+stickers&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311&_nkw=bmw+center+cap+stickers&_sacat=0)

FUNX650
11-23-2012, 08:56 AM
I've recently added HF acid to my arsenal for heavily neglected wheels. I've found that some plastic center caps are completely unaffected by it, while other plastic center caps will be bleached white. How do you deal with plastic center caps when using HF acid? And taking the wheels off the car is beyond what I'm willing to do.
Like many car-care products used in the cleaning of various vehicles’-surfaces topics…

-Those that contain corrosive acids, including HF and/or ABF, are often: "Hotly" contested.
(True for caustic alkaline cleaners as well.)

-But owing to, (what I'm going to say) are the: "Unique characteristics"…
Of HF and ABF, I feel it’s necessary to issue the following,
but not all inclusive, advisories/recommendations:

1. Eliminate HF/ABF from your arsenal

2. If unwilling to do so:
a.) Have a healthy supply of Calcium Gluconate in your arsenal for your personal
(and employees if applicable): Health&Safety

b.) Have an alkaline-solution-product on hand for neutralization-purposes for vehicles' surfaces

c.) Use the proper PPE

d.) Keep the numbers of your local first responders at-the-ready

e.) Call the CDC (800.232.6348) or visit their web-site

f.) Use of the AGO search function; and/or "gaggling" HF/ABF…To garner further HF/ABF-information.

Of course I recognize that, when all is said and done (including what your OP attests):

-You, and you alone, are the final-decider of:

The Cost of Clean!!

Bob