PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber + Fabric Softner

P8ntballer597
04-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Ok so a large majority of my microfibers were put into the laundry. My brother rewashed them with the regular laundry becuase he didn't seem them in the bottom...... Fabric Softner was put in..... Any way to save them? They don't seem very different.... :(

sparkie
04-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Hot Hot Hot water! Boil them on the stove for at least 5 minutes! Really! And rewash in washer with hot water. Always wash them by their self. ONLY WASH MF WITH MF.

P8ntballer597
04-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Alright thanks for the quick reply. And yes I know of course to only wash MF with MF. However, my brother didn't. I've learned to take them out of the washer as soon as they've finished. Thanks for the feedback.

sparkie
04-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Alright thanks for the quick reply. And yes I know of course to only wash MF with MF. However, my brother didn't. I've learned to take them out of the washer as soon as they've finished. Thanks for the feedback.
Let us know how they come out. I have save a few like that. Dang wife!:D

bambo2888
04-25-2007, 10:48 PM
lol, thats so funny because I had to educated my roommates on proper MF care, for I have a habit of starting the load and leaving the house for a while, leaving the MFs in the washer.

i came home last night from work and class and all of my MF were hanging in the bathroom! haha, good roommates!

P1et
04-26-2007, 08:59 AM
I told my wife (in the nicest way possible) to not mess with any of my nice MFs. I am very anal about them, wash them , second rinse, etc. etc.

bambo2888
04-26-2007, 09:12 AM
lol, i actually boiled all of my MFs last night... im sick.

budman3
04-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Yes boil them. They should feel a little softer than normal because the fabric softener leaves some type of silicone or something in the fibers that make them feel soft... So the only way to get the fibers cleaned again is to boil them... a few times probably. And then wash a few times...

If you don't get the fabric softener out you will see the MFs not work properly, may not be as absorbant and will streak....

bambo2888
04-26-2007, 09:30 AM
i didnt have the softener problem, but dang are these things soft and thick now!!

everyone, QUICK! go boil your MFs!!!!

P1et
04-26-2007, 11:19 AM
So you literally put them in a pot of boiling water?

I've seen a lot of people debate to NOT wash them in hot water. Only warm water. But now we are boiling them?

I'm so confused!

bambo2888
04-26-2007, 11:32 AM
i think that its the hot air that doe the damage. Perhaps, the dry hot hair melts, or better yet, fuses the tips of the fibers in MF. This is way causes them to get stiff/ hard. In boiling water, however, there is not burning, rather its steaming the towel to release any caked on chemicals. In the process, it is expanding the fibers, which is why I noticed my MFs to be fuller and softer. Everything is relative though.

If you have any doubts, maybe try it on one of your towels and see if you like the results. If you boil for about 5 min, I promise your towels will be fully rejuvented.

FYI- Most of my prior stains are still in the towels, so this method didn't help in that respect.

ltoman
04-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Oh my gosh...this is even more uptight than I am. No way I would do that. Hah. I say rewash them with one of the detergents from here meant for microfibers, and do that from now on. Get out a pot and boil them? Yikes.....
You guys must have a lot of free time on your hands! Then again, maybe I am just jealous . . . if I don't do the laundry, well, it gets scary. Let's just leave it there!
Good luck guys.
You do know when it it bubbling that means the water has reached boiling, right?
You also know I am enjoying messing with all of you too, right? I could not resist. I am bad. Steal my microfibers with no fabric softner!!!
rofl

sparkie
04-27-2007, 04:19 AM
i think that its the hot air that doe the damage. Perhaps, the dry hot hair melts, or better yet, fuses the tips of the fibers in MF. This is way causes them to get stiff/ hard. In boiling water, however, there is not burning, rather its steaming the towel to release any caked on chemicals. In the process, it is expanding the fibers, which is why I noticed my MFs to be fuller and softer. Everything is relative though.

If you have any doubts, maybe try it on one of your towels and see if you like the results. If you boil for about 5 min, I promise your towels will be fully rejuvented.

FYI- Most of my prior stains are still in the towels, so this method didn't help in that respect.
I've done this and it works! bambo, you are correct! "Your towels will be fully rejuvenated."

BILL
04-27-2007, 07:38 AM
I told my wife (in the nicest way possible) to not mess with any of my nice MFs. I am very anal about them, wash them , second rinse, etc. etc.

DONT MESS WITH MY MICRO FIBERS???:righton: I LIKE THAT:D

YES!!! RINSE, RINSE, RINSE, TILL THE WATER RUNS CLEAR......I WASH MINE BY HAND......

bambo2888
04-27-2007, 08:44 AM
DONT MESS WITH MY MICRO FIBERS???:righton: I LIKE THAT:D

YES!!! RINSE, RINSE, RINSE, TILL THE WATER RUNS CLEAR......I WASH MINE BY HAND......

Bill, have discretion when rinsing. Water is naturally VERY hard, at least it is in Boca Raton. I was doing the same thing and found my MF getting stiff with just washing without any chemicals.

Consider a half amount of the microrestore or microrejuvenator to act as a softener.