PDA

View Full Version : Wurth Screen Wash Additive Questions

swanicyouth
11-21-2012, 06:54 PM
I bought a bottle of Wurth Screen Wash Additive from AG to use during the upcoming winter.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/22/7u7urymy.jpg

I searched all over the Internet prior to purchasing to come up with a recommended dilution ratio to see how many bottles I needed to buy to last through the winter. I could find no info anywhere on the dilution, so I figured I would start out with one bottle.

Bottle arrived and has the strangest dilution chart I have ever seen. The chart is based on what state (and sometimes what county) you live in to come up with a recommended dilution so the mixed product will be VOC compliant in your area

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/22/dy7upeba.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/22/ja8upajy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/22/a8ahuher.jpg

Now I obviously understand the different dilutions, but have no idea what dilution I should use. The bottle is 8oz. I really don't care if my mixture is VOC compliant, as I don't think the police are randomly testing washer fluid concentration yet. The dilutions range from 1:1 to 1:64. Since the bottle is only 8oz, 1:1 doesn't get you very much washer fluid. I can't imagine 1:64 would be much different than water. How can they recommend so many dilutions to do the same job? Also, they give no info on what dilution freezes at what temperature. I would like to use this stuff so it doesn't freeze over the snowy winter.

It would be nice if it said that you would need multiple bottles to make a gallon of mixture in the product description, as every recommended dilution (except California at 1:64) requires more than one 8oz to make a gallon of solution (size of most washer fluid tanks)

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? Is it any good at say 1:15 ( about 8oz/1 bottle to a gallon)

Thanks.

swanicyouth
11-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Anyone ever use this stuff???

Ok... Will run my own tests.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/23/9ety9ume.jpg

BobbyG
11-22-2012, 10:53 AM
If you look at the geographical locations and compared them to the dilution recommendation this may give you something to shoot for. I've never used it but if you culled out California you're basically left with 1:2 and 1:1 so that's what I'd shoot for....

swanicyouth
11-22-2012, 11:04 AM
If you look at the geographical locations and compared them to the dilution recommendation this may give you something to shoot for. I've never used it but if you culled out California you're basically left with 1:2 and 1:1 so that's what I'd shoot for....

Yeah that's makes sense. Just was hoping for more than 32 or 48 oz per bottle, as that's just a drop in a washer tank. I'm running freezing tests at 1:15 & 1:30. Even at 1:30 solution has a strong smell, so its hard to gauge how concentrated this stuff really is I'm shooting for no freezing a zero degrees.

FUNX650
11-22-2012, 12:11 PM
This "dilution-confusion"...

-Is the reason I just go ahead and buy the jugs of the blue-stuff, (usually on sale ~ $1.00),
that's already pre-mixed for my geographical-area.

NOTE: (They have 'cleaners' in them, as well.)

Also...
-Instead of me wasting money on a bunch of different window-cleaners
(except for interior auto-glass surfaces, that is)...

-The "blue-stuff" makes for an excellent, year 'round
'Cleaner' for: Exterior auto-glass surfaces!

:)

Bob

Shakabruddah808
11-26-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm only guessing, but it seems that a dilution ratio of 1:2 would mean 1 bottle of the additive to 2 bottles of water?

I was going to get the Einszett additve, but it's sold out throughout the internet. Wurth sounds like a good replacement.

Keep us updated.

Happy Detailing!

:xyxthumbs:

swanicyouth
11-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Don't do it unless you live some where where it doesn't get below 32 degrees F! Read my review on the product page, unless AG took it down.

I determined it takes dilutions of 1:2 or 1:3 to make a product that won't freeze at 5 degrees F. I ran tests in my freezer up to 1:4 and that froze no problem. If you know the product is 8 oz and assume a washer tank is 1 gallon, that means it costs $20-$25 to fill a washer tank (4-5 bottles of product).

Look, I love AG, their house brands, and their service... But I have to call a spade a spade - this stuff is a rip off. Do Germans have special 16-24 ounce washer tanks in their BMWs and Merc's ???

Because I been all through Germany and it gets super cold and snowy their. Don't know who is buying this product. Maybe for summer???

PS: Bob. The "blue stuff" is terrible.

FUNX650
11-26-2012, 10:48 AM

That's your opinion...Not mine.

Bob

Shakabruddah808
11-26-2012, 11:01 AM
That's your opinion...Not mine.

Bob

The "Blue Stuff" contains methanol which is NOT paint safe, and will harm or damage rubber and plastic parts. The winter products made by Einszett and Wurth contains ethanol, which is more paint friendly.

And this forum member went ahead and made his own concoction. Here's the link. You'll find the recipe on the last page:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/57177-let-snow-let-snow-let-snow-not.html

Shakabruddah808
11-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Don't do it unless you live some where where it doesn't get below 32 degrees F! Read my review on the product page, unless AG took it down.

I determined it takes dilutions of 1:2 or 1:3 to make a product that won't freeze at 5 degrees F. I ran tests in my freezer up to 1:4 and that froze no problem. If you know the product is 8 oz and assume a washer tank is 1 gallon, that means it costs $20-$25 to fill a washer tank (4-5 bottles of product).

Look, I love AG, their house brands, and their service... But I have to call a spade a spade - this stuff is a rip off. Do Germans have special 16-24 ounce washer tanks in their BMWs and Merc's ???

Because I been all through Germany and it gets super cold and snowy their. Don't know who is buying this product. Maybe for summer???

I live in TX, and though it does not get as cold as the northern states, temps do drop below freezing several times during the winter. And if there is freezing rain, icing is still a big problem.

And yes, I agree that these de-icing/anti-frost products are a little pricey, but better than the blue stuff you can find at Wal-Mart or Auto Zone.