PDA

View Full Version : How should I get this shop dust off my fresh paint?

adrynalinjunkie
11-21-2012, 12:57 PM
I painted my car 90 days ago then wet sanded and buffed to perfection.

Then I let the car sit in the shop and "cure" for the last 3 months while I worked on the engine and suspension.

There is no wax or sealant of coarse on this clear coat. I guess I am just nervous to wash it. LOL
Could I just blow off what dust I can with compressed air and then use a microfiber towel and quick detail spray to get the dust off before applying the first coat of wax?

Or should I just get the garden hose and wash mitt out?

Mike Phillips
11-21-2012, 01:06 PM
I painted my car 90 days ago then wet sanded and buffed to perfection.

Then I let the car sit in the shop and "cure" for the last 3 months while I worked on the engine and suspension.

There is no wax or sealant of coarse on this clear coat. I guess I am just nervous to wash it. LOL
Could I just blow off what dust I can with compressed air and then use a microfiber towel and quick detail spray to get the dust off before applying the first coat of wax?

Or should I just get the garden hose and wash mitt out?

Get the hose out and use lots of water and new, clean lambswool wash mitt and a good soap.

Don't SCRUB the paint, make one or two passes over each section of a panel and then stop.

What are you working on?

:)

adrynalinjunkie
11-21-2012, 01:12 PM
It's a 67 Chevelle that is House of Kolor Tangelo Pearl over a white base. With a ton of extra clear.

I need to post some pics it looks sweet!

I remember the make each wipe count from the fist chapter in your book.

That picture of the factory tech shooting paint with no protection 60 years ago is shocking!
Where did you find it?
I show all my body shop buddies, it sure gets a reaction. lol

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
11-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Blow it off with compressed air first than hose it down and give it a wash. If it has been sitting in a body shop it might need a claying as well since there is always paint in the air in a body shop.

BobbyG
11-21-2012, 01:31 PM
It's a 67 Chevelle that is House of Kolor Tangelo Pearl over a white base. With a ton of extra clear.

Good GOD man, you definitely owe us some photos to drool over!! :drool:

Mike Phillips
11-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Very cool!

Here let me say that again with emphasis...

VERY COOL!

That picture of the factory tech shooting paint with no protection 60 years ago is shocking! Where did you find it?

I show all my body shop buddies, it sure gets a reaction. lol

Did a Google Image search, hard to find pictures of guys painting like that from the old days...

Blow it off with compressed air first than hose it down and give it a wash.

This would be a good idea to if you have compressed air, a Metro-Vac Sidekick or something else that's safe to blow air and thus dust off the surface. If it's light dust it should also spray off with a strong blast of water.

If it has been sitting in a body shop it might need a claying as well since there is always paint in the air in a body shop.

That's what I always tell people too....

The most likely place to get overspray paint is while your car is parked in or near a body shop. Not all the paint sprayed is in the booth.

This 1936 Chevy Couple had the doors repainted and no one covered the rest of the car so all the horizontal surfaces had plenty of overspray on them...

Dodo Juice - 1936 Chevy Coupe - Extreme Makeover (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/57235-dodo-juice-1936-chevy-coupe-extreme-makeover.html)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWKpo2kJ8GY&hd=1]Speedy Prep Towel used on a 1936 Chevy Hotrod Coupe - YouTube[/video]

:)