PDA

View Full Version : I need a fast, easy clean system

cgreen1120
11-21-2012, 08:06 AM
I am in the middle on correcting my father’s 2006 Buick Lucerne. It has the flip flop shark skin paint and is very cool when correct. He repeatedly runs it through the car wash and is pretty messed up. The correction is coming out nice but my fear is that in 6 months it will be in the same shape. My question is, how can my dad keep his car's finish? He is 72 and has no interest is washing as I instruct him. I live over 600 miles away so I can’t do it myself. I need a system that he can perform yet not take him hours.Feed back please

Any suggestions would be great,
Craig

Vegas Transplant
11-21-2012, 08:56 AM
I am in the middle on correcting my father’s 2006 Buick Lucerne. It has the flip flop shark skin paint and is very cool when correct. He repeatedly runs it through the car wash and is pretty messed up. The correction is coming out nice but my fear is that in 6 months it will be in the same shape. My question is, how can my dad keep his car's finish? He is 72 and has no interest is washing as I instruct him. I live over 600 miles away so I can’t do it myself. I need a system that he can perform yet not take him hours.Feed back please

Any suggestions would be great,
Craig

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Sometimes one just has to let people be themselves...the world can't be just 'Geeks.

Setec Astronomy
11-21-2012, 09:16 AM
I agree with VT; perhaps you can find him a touchless wash that will do less damage? A coating like Opti-Coat 2.0 might give you the most resistant surface. You could also work on a compromise between "as I instruct him" and "tunnel wash". Perhaps discuss with him if there is any chance of him doing some sort of hand wash and what his "problem" is with it...there are a lot of different ways to skin the cat, from touchless to rinseless to waterless.

Jomax
11-21-2012, 09:24 AM
He's 72. I don't think he cares about the car finish anymore. Cant really blame him. Best thing you can do it a simple AIO. And probably a big thing for him is a GOOD interior cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

mwoolfso
11-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Find a touchless car wash nearby and treat the car with Opti-coat or Cquartz. After that, show your dad how to do a rinseless and waterless wash as those two would be the easiest way to clean the car.

On the other hand you can always leave him be and take care of the car for him when you feel the need to help him. One day you are going to miss him and the 600 miles won't have much meaning to you.

Vegas Transplant
11-21-2012, 11:43 AM
2.0 requires maintenance, just like paint.

I don't feel much like looking up the particular post from Chris at the moment, but there were several threads where members were posting bad results with 2.0 and touchless/tunnel washes.
Something about something left behind on the 2.0 leaving less than desirable results.
Had OP's wondering whether 2.0 was even there, or not.
End result was Chris suggesting light OPS polishing to restore properties back to the 2.0.