PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in training

scoobnewb007
04-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I am in the beginning stages of detailing, no polisher yet (hope to change that soon). I own a 2007 legacy 2.5I, Obsidian black pearl and some unfortunate events has delayed my detailing (1. no garage or space, 2. 2 accidents (not my fault), waiting for the paint to gas out before waxing).

I am really swaying toward Pinnacle XMT products (sun light, just gotta love the open space) and I like to know should i go with XMT 2 or XMT 1??

I am also going with the edge 2k pads when i order the polisher.

The car already showing a lot of spider webbing (bad technique at drying), and scratches.

AUdakota
04-25-2007, 02:38 PM
honestly its going to be hard to get the scratches out by hand, its possible but you will be at it a loooooooong time. Meg's scratch X is ok for hand application, but until you can get up to a polisher I wouldnt attempt to get the scratches out.

I was in this same boat a couple months ago and I ordered XMT 1 & 2 expecting to see some results like what everyone else gets, but without the PC i couldnt do it. After two attempts I just went ahead and got a PC from AG.

However I might try some XMT1 and than the glaze, than top that with some NB and see what that will do you and than when you order your polisher you can get a more aggressive polish now that you will be able to break the polish down without your arm falling off.

D
04-25-2007, 04:22 PM
You might want to look into one of the PC kits with the CCS pads and XMT swirl removers. XMT Porter Cable 7424 Light Swirl Remover Kit with CCS pads! Free Bonus! (http://autogeek.net/xmtpocaliswr.html) Then all you need is a nice wax. Poorboys Natty's Blue would be a good choice.

FloridaNative
04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
If you don't have a PC yet, you'll probably just want to cover up the swirls with a glaze and wax. There's really no way to get them out other than buffing. Believe me I tried. :) I once did a car with the polishing pal and Poorboy's just to see what could be done by hand. It was a tremendous amount of work and it only took out the lightest of swirls. Here's that thread if you're interested.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/1486-some-reviews-you-guys-gals.html

scoobnewb007
04-25-2007, 10:43 PM
I will definitely look into getting a pc or even a rotary (got a second car to play with).
The reason I ask is because i been reading xmt 1 is very mild, might not even take out webbing or scratches.

I read it is better to get xmt 2, but knowing the saying goes "less abrasive, then move up the line" or to some degree.

Thanks for all the responses, hope to start in about 30days since school is over by then.