PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!! Scotch Blue Edglock tape (Made by 3M)

Pages : [1] 2

Hoytman
11-18-2012, 06:54 PM
For those of you thinking about trying this stuff, DON'T!! I placed quite a bit of it on some luggage rack rails made of a type of plastic trim and I started taking it off in the nick-of-time. I didn't have too terrible of a time with it, but enough. Had it been another day or more and it would have been a disaster. I have green 3M tape elsewhere and it should be fine. It also has been on for a few days, but I'm about to pull it off by tomorrow before noon. The project I'm working on has been in the garage where it's been no more than 60 degrees and mostly around 50ish, so temperature shouldn't have been an issue with the Scotch Blue Edge-loc tape.

For those that aren't aware this Scotch Blue Edge-loc tape is supposed to have a chemical reaction with something in home use paint to help it gel and seal the edges of the tape creating a more defined tape edge. In other words, nothing is supposed to seep (my speller isn't with it this evening ha ha) underneath the edges of the tape as the chemical reaction causes it to gel and "close off the gap."

There may be some of you that have used the blue Scotch Blue Edge-loc tape without any trouble. Good! However, I'll never use it again. I like the green 3M Automotive tape. Never had an issue with it.

I also have a roll of green Frog tape, but now I'm gunshy.

Johny B
11-18-2012, 07:03 PM
I like the green 3M Automotive tape too. Never had an issue with it.Thanks for the warning.

jhodges
11-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the warning. Does this include the the "regular" 3M Blue Painter's Tape also or just the Edge-loc tape?

ihaveacamaro
11-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the warning. Does this include the the "regular" 3M Blue Painter's Tape also or just the Edge-loc tape?

the regular will leave lines too, it's too tacky. Don't ask how I know :(

Use the low tack 3M tape.

Hoytman
11-18-2012, 09:18 PM

This thread was specifically for the Scotch Blue Edge-loc tape found at Wal-mart, Lowes, and probably many other places like Home Depot and Menards.

I've used the "regular" 3M blue painters tape, but not on automotive paint. You could probably get by with using any of the blue tapes including the one I used provided you don't leave it on for but a day or so, or leave it on in the sun. Most blue tape is supposed to be able to pull off even after several days.

My tape has been on since last Wednesday, about 5 days. I didn't plan on it being on that long, but my son got sick for two days and I was unable to return to my project.

The Scotch Blue Edge-loc tape is supposed to be able to stay on metal, glass, and wood substrates for approximately 14 days. However, I placed it on plastic auto trim which was textured just a bit and for some reason there was an issue with it coming off properly. The tape was never exposed to the sun, so I'm not sure what the real issue was, but like I said, it was almost a disaster. I squeeked by only wasting about 40 minutes trying to remove what was left. I've had similar incidets that were much worse using regular tan masking tape. So I know I dodged a bullet this time.

I don't think the Scotch Blue Edge-loc tape has been out that long though I can't say for certain exactly how long. There are two types of this tape.

Setec Astronomy
11-19-2012, 01:19 AM
It originally (and still?) puzzled me why 3M has SO MANY masking tapes, that all seem to be for the same thing. I have learned that they target many different industries (interior house painting, car painting, industrial painting) and that they have various levels of tack and of adhesive residue, but one thing that really surprised me is that they don't expect most of them to be left on long. I guess they figure if you are painting your living room, your car, or your production line manufactured item (industrial painting), you are going to mask, paint, remove. Somewhere I saw published the max time recommended to leave the tape on (maybe it was on the roll itself in Home Depot).

They don't seem to have a product for detailers that we can tape off our garage queen and not finish it for a month and be able to get the tape off without a mess.

jhodges
11-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info and warning.

SON1C
11-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Frog tape is #1
Doubles as clay case after use

baddna3
11-19-2012, 11:12 AM
I have never had an issue with low tack on any job, this is all I use.

ShinyRex
11-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Frog tape is #1
Doubles as clay case after use

+1 I like Frog Tape (bought it for the case originally) and 3m green automotive tape.

While I have never left my tape on long enough to cause an issue I did notice a problem with tape that was left in a hot garage for a long time. It came off in quarter size chunks when I tried to remove it less than 12 hours later. I am guessing the heat damage the tape before it was used.

Since Frog tape touts an edge lock type capability I'll make sure to remove it in less than 24hrs just incase it is similiar to the Scotch type.

neat e34
11-20-2012, 04:11 AM
Is this the "delicate surfaces" type with an orange cardboard core?
& Setec I know the blue 3M "delicate" tape I use for house painting (I'm renovating) is "14 day safe" but I assume that's for house paint (as that's what it's designed for) & therefore less extreme, more consistent temps than even a shed

BobbyG
11-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Bill! :props:

3MTaper
12-03-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm actually on 3M's masking team for the automotive aftermarkets and saw this. While I would absolutely recommend our green 233+ for these applications the ideal tape might actually be our Precision Masking Tape. It isn't as conformable but its long term resistance to weathering is much better than even our own tapes as is the edge quality. I would definitely not recommend any of our blue tapes for this process as they aren't precisely made for automotive applications. If you decide to try it the color is a mint green, this way you can find it. Hopefully you find this helpful, I just want to make sure you're using the best tape for the application that we have available.

Hoytman
12-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Since Frog tape touts an edge lock type capability I'll make sure to remove it in less than 24hrs just incase it is similiar to the Scotch type.

This would be a good practice.

Is this the "delicate surfaces" type with an orange cardboard core?
& Setec I know the blue 3M "delicate" tape I use for house painting (I'm renovating) is "14 day safe" but I assume that's for house paint (as that's what it's designed for) & therefore less extreme, more consistent temps than even a shed

Don't know about any orange carboard core, but I do believe that edge-loc was also touted as a 14 day tape, although I'm not certain. The tape I'm refering to is easily located at Wal-Mart.

... I would definitely not recommend any of our blue tapes for this process as they aren't precisely made for automotive applications. If you decide to try it the color is a mint green, this way you can find it. Hopefully you find this helpful, I just want to make sure you're using the best tape for the application that we have available.

I've always had good results with #M green automotive tape, even after being left on for several days. However, I never leave it on too long in the sun.

I've also had good luck when using the 3M blue, low tack, painters tape, but I never leave it on too long especially for extended periods in the sun. I have had some issues with it where it was a pain in my backside, but that's because it was left on too long. I seldom use it on automotive and it will work fine in a pinch if you're working inside, or even outside if the temperatures aren't too high and it isn't left on for extended periods. However, when someone asks me which tape is best I usually recommend the green (labeled for automotive use)3M tape.

Also, keep in mind that the 3M Blue Edge-loc tape that I was using was inside a garage out of the sun and temperatures were in the high 50's to low 60's in the garage.

Hoytman
12-03-2012, 11:16 AM
As an update on the 3M Blue Edge-loc tape I decided to try the tape again on some other types of materials on the vehicle. Once again, I decided to try tapeing some plastic similar to the luggage racks which are a textured plastic. Once again, the issues were the same, however, this time the tape was left on for a far less amount of time. I fought getting it off, but it wasn't too bad. Just enough of a fight that I won't ever use it on textured automotive plastics again. Perhaps it had more to do with the black textured plastic being dry as I didn't have this issue on the gray plastic that seemed to be not as dry.

I did notice that the blue edge-loc tape is also starting to split when I try and remove it from the roll. Usually I only find this with masking tapes that are either cheap (non-3M brands), or even with 3M rolls that have some age on them. I've found this to be true with the tan, blue, and green 3M tapes if they're more than several months old.

I also tried it (blue edge-loc) on some of the rubber window trims and my experience was somewhat better if left on for a few hours in the sun. There were some minor issues with the tape wanting to seperate on removal. However, I found the same issues with this tape if placed on in the evening and left over night. Good thing I thought about it and pulled it off that morning before leaving home for a few hours. This time I think the morning dew had something to do with it, but I expected that also.

I also tried it (blue edge-loc) on some black paint in the sun and it removed fine, but it was only left on for no more than a half an hour...I'm slightly gunshy. :D I'll use my 3M geen for automotive paint, thank you.

My warning is not to imply that 3M Blue Edge-loc tape isn't a good tape, rather, that it has specified uses and that automotive use is Not a use that was specified.