PDA

View Full Version : What are these defects in my paint?

iminaquagmire
11-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I have these small cracks (best way I can describe them) in the paint on the hood of my truck. Its a 2007 Silverado in the Onyx Black. I can't remember how long they've been there exactly but since compounding and polishing they really stand out now. I've gone over them with 105/205 and like I said, they only stand out more. I can definitely feel them though they don't stand out enough to more than just barely catch a nail. If there were just the small straight ones (each 5/16" to 7/16" long) I'd say they were the result of some sort of scratching but there are two of them that are like bird's feet.

I'm concerned they would let moisture in and cause failure. They don't really seem like scratches to be touched up since they almost seem to pop outwards. I'm hesitant to paint and sand them until I know what they are.

In the other picture you can sort of see how bad the solvent pop is across the hood. The hood is the only place that has it. I'm kind of wondering if the hood sustained damage in transport or at the dealer before I bought it (bought it new) and had a repaint. Wondering if the cracks could be related to some sort of delamination or just impacts to the paint.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/iminaquagmire/Forums/DSC_0045.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/iminaquagmire/Forums/DSC_0035.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/iminaquagmire/Forums/DSC_0036.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/iminaquagmire/Forums/DSC_0042.jpg

c5z06camaro
11-18-2012, 04:57 PM
It's seems to me that's its beginning to fail.

rider9195
11-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Looks like the beginning of clear coat failure. Sadly I have a couple spots like this as well. I would recommend not to polish if it is not needed.

Evan.J
11-18-2012, 05:47 PM
I agree with everyone else CC failure.

RoadRageDetail
11-18-2012, 05:58 PM
This is crow's feet. They're cracks in the upper layers of the paint job, but sometimes they can even expose primer. Sanding/prepping/painting the panels is the only way to properly repair them.

crash93ssei
11-18-2012, 07:22 PM
I detailed a 2002 S10 xtreme a few years ago, black also, had those all over the paint! Scared the crap out of me at first because you couldn't really see them before from all the swirls on the paint I thought it was something I did at first but then posted on here and found out it was micro cracks in the paint.

RMM
11-18-2012, 07:50 PM
This is crow's feet. They're cracks in the upper layers of the paint job, but sometimes they can even expose primer. Sanding/prepping/painting the panels is the only way to properly repair them.

:iagree: Those are exactly my thoughts.

BYERS DETAIL SHOP
11-18-2012, 09:44 PM
+1 crows feet, repaint

timaishu
11-18-2012, 10:40 PM
You guys mention it being clear coat failure. And then say the paint is cracking.

Is this the basecoat itself fracturing causing a crack? Or is it white because clearcoat failure tends to turn white?

iminaquagmire
11-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. Is there anything I can do short of repainting it? I know that would be the real solution, but I mean can I stop it or slow the spread? Right now it bothers me but its not like the paint is peeling off. Its three or four isolated areas.

pixelmonkey
11-19-2012, 07:11 AM
You guys mention it being clear coat failure. And then say the paint is cracking.

Is this the basecoat itself fracturing causing a crack? Or is it white because clearcoat failure tends to turn white?
the clear coat failure will crack, making "crows feet".

as for the white you see, it's likely wax or another topper that has accumulated in the voids. To verify this, clean with a stripper and do an IPA wipe down.

given more time, more crows feet will appear. as for the existing, the crack will open wider over time and can deteriorate the base coat paint, primers and eventually make it down to the metal.

hope it helps
chris<pixelmonkey>:D