PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to Try Some DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant or Megs #21 For The First Time.

TOFAST4U2C
11-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Still being pretty new to the detailing world I am looking for some advice from someone who has used either DP Poli-Coat or Meguiars #21. I have been very happy with the results of WGDGPS but I have 2 new bottles of DP Poli-Coat from a BOGO purchase that I wanted to try and it is mom’s daily driver. Anything I should know about using it?

AGO doesn’t mention how long before applying a second coat or a topper. Wanted to do 2 coats of a sealer then Collinite 845. I also was considering trying some Meguiars Mirror Glaze #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 as well. The vehicle is a SS white Toyota Highlander that has been prepped with M105 & M205 and wiped down with an IPA solution. :buffing:

TOFAST4U2C
11-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Yikes
45 views and no response. Are both these products not worthy of my time? I could always go WGDGPS 3.0?

ziggo99
11-17-2012, 09:07 PM
#21 isn't a bad sealant. My dad uses it on his truck and he swears that there is nothing better. I dunno, I never use it. I have my #845, PL, BFWD, and on it's way is the DP Poli-Coat.

dcjredline
11-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Poli-Coat is a good product but I wasnt so impressed with it. Works OK Id give it a 5.5 - 6.5 out of 10

jhodges
11-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Just put two coats of #21 on a black '08 pickup by hand. I waited about 24 hours between coats. I did it outside on two consecutive cloudy days. There was a little bit of intermittant sun during the day while I was waiting for each coat to dry. There was also a little light rain overnight between coats. The temperature was around 60-65 degrees both days. Needless to say, I was dealing with less than ideal conditions but you got what'cha got.

No problems; wax (sealant) on/wax (sealant) off. All by hand.

There are a couple of Autogeeks videos on their Youtube Channel:

This one shows Mike applying a Wolfgang product on Show Car Garage:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMI4jmsH87s&feature=relmfu]Part 1 - How to apply a synthetic paint sealant by hand without instilling swirls - YouTube[/video]

Part 2 is here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbxddL93sUY&feature=relmfu]Part 2 - How to apply a synthetic paint sealant by hand without instilling swirls - YouTube[/video]

This one shows Mike and crew on a Thursday Night Live detailing a 2006 Mustang GT with Meguiar products. During the process, they use M105, M205, #21 as a sealant, and #26 carnuba paste wax.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmH6Z78JLX8&list=PL942A4937DB701BCF&index=3&feature=plpp_video]2006 Mustang by Ford - Show Car Finish by Autogeek! - YouTube[/video]

Concerning the sealant and the wax, I think he said to ideally wait 12-24 hours between coats to allow the chemical-wizbang molecular stuff to happen before applying another coat.

Lots of good info in those Show Car Garage and Thursday Night Live videos.

Hope this helps.

And, hope I did this correctly. If I did a boo-boo, please let me know.

DetailedByPrecision
11-18-2012, 03:59 AM
i have not used meg 21, but i have used poli coat before, and it takes a while to cure. i tried to wipe it off once within 1 hr cure time, and it did not want to come off easy without a fight.

bluegoose
11-18-2012, 07:13 AM
i have not used meg 21, but i have used poli coat before, and it takes a while to cure. i tried to wipe it off once within 1 hr cure time, and it did not want to come off easy without a fight.

I never let it cure that long. I thought the cure time was just until it dried to a light haze? I've found it to be pretty easy to apply and wipe off but like I said, I never let it stay on too long. I got the BOGO of it when they closed out the old packaging and still have over half of the 1st bottle. Decent beading and protection for the price (especially at BOGO prices). //bluegoose//

mg6045
11-18-2012, 08:32 AM
If you have WG DGPS you are spoiled with one of the better , easier sealants.

I found DP Poli-Coat to be a product I was not thrilled with. the only thing it had going for itself was that it was easy to apply. Wipeoff was VERY difficult and I was not impressed with the slickness or the finish it left. It actually felt like I wiped the entire coating off when I worked like a madman to remove all the residue. Like I said, it was easy to apply thin and spread out, but everything after that was a dissapointment especially if you came in with high expectations when comparing to some of the better sealants.

To be honest, I think Megs M21 is a product that produces better results and is easier to use. It applies easy, does a good job of cleaning up the paint (similar to an AIO) and wipes off easily. Cleans and fills uneven paint and light defects and does an overall job of looking great for the time that it lasts.

TOFAST4U2C
11-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the input. Since this was Moms daily driver and I needed to see how these products would perform I went with the DP Poli-Coat this time around. I started to put it on the hood with a black pad on my PC DA but it was hard to see what I was puting on. With the exception of the roof I went with the traditional hand application. For the roof I went with the Flex 3401 on speed 3.

Once I did the whole truck I went back around taking it off as it was about 30 minutes and there was a light haze. My blue rolled edge MF towels took the Poli-Coat off in a breez and left a nice shine. I will have to see how it cures overnight as it has to be outside. Its dry out but the instructions didnt mention anything about moisture like WGDGPS does. It had about 5 hours of sunlight to start the cure process. If it loooks good in the morning I do a second coat.

TOFAST4U2C
11-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Morning came and all looked well with the first coat of Poli-Coat. Not crazy slippery to the touch but still OK. I put a second coat let it haze for 35 minutes and it came off easy. Looks nice but its not giving me the uber slippery WOW factor the WGDGPS 3.0 did. Now we will see how long it holds up with a top coat of Collinite 845.:work:

tersplat
04-08-2014, 11:29 AM
I used the DP Poli-Coat sealant on a Nissan Altima, and it's been about 2 weeks, and since day 1, it has been collecting dust like crazy, but is still slick. Also, the beading is not very tight. It has been working well on my windshield though. I don't think I'll be getting it again. pretty disappointed.

FUNX650
04-08-2014, 12:23 PM
. Now we will see how long it holds up with a top coat of Collinite 845.
I don't see how you will be able to see/judge how long
DP Poli-Coat will hold up, if you cover it up with the Collinite #845.

What if there is an outside chance that the solvents in Collinite #845 will compromise: How long DP Poli-Coat should hold up?

Just thinking aloud.

Bob

Eric
04-09-2014, 12:49 AM
Both products have light cleaning abilities, do they not?

AutowerxDetailing
04-09-2014, 01:29 AM
Both products have light cleaning abilities, do they not?

PoliCoat has significantly more cleaning ability than 845 but they both offer a slight cleaning ability. I believe PoliCoat refers to it's cleaning action as a bonding agent.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online