PDA

View Full Version : Applied EXO then imedietly drove car through a rain storm

Steanboatdetail
11-17-2012, 03:26 AM
What happens if a car is driven in the rain right after a coating is applied? I applied EXO to a clients car today, planned on keeping it in the shop for the weekend to cure but my client called and needed her car tonight and of course it was raining when she picked up her car, about 1/2 hour after EXO was applied.
I know most coatings say you must avoid getting any moisture for 48 hours, so I am wondering what is going to happen?

TrKent
11-17-2012, 07:14 AM
It will wash off or the durability will be severely impared or the coating will not be able to self-level and will live funny looking lines. That's what I gather from what Rob at Gtechniq has been saying. He also says that while the advertised wait time is 48 hours, he has seen cars leave in rain storms right around 6 hours of curing and will most likely update their information accordingly.

BobbyG
11-17-2012, 07:27 AM
These new coatings are really remarkable. They form a nearly impenetrable barrier of protection to keep that finish looking great for years.

Like all products, GTechniq EXO comes with a set of instructions that should be closely followed otherwise its integrity will be compromised.

GTechniq EXO is not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination. At $170 just for the product and this doesn't include paint prep, I hope this young lady understands that she's probably tossed between $400 and $500 out the window... http://www.detailcity.org/forums/images/smilies/passout.gif

FUNX650
11-17-2012, 09:45 AM
What happens if a car is driven in the rain right after a coating is applied?

^^^Keeping 'moisture' away^^^...
From not only Coatings (but other LSP's as welll)...
until their proper (but not always total)-cure-time has elapsed:

Poses a huge drawback, at times...IMO.

-Customers must be willing to adhere to that premise.

so I am wondering what is going to happen?

I, too, am wondering what your procedure(s) will be...
When this Lady realizes she has mucked-up her 'Exo-ed vehicle'.

Would you be so kind to provide a "follow-up"...
If, or when, she approaches you for relief? Thanks.

:)

Bob