PDA

View Full Version : RE: Mike Phillips style Restoring Single Stage Paints on my Black Ranchero.

TwoFoolsAMinute
11-16-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm doing this:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html#post313790

To my 79 Ranchero with black single stage paint and I have some questions and I'll have more as I continue to move forward.

I'm only doing the hood at this time.

Question one: I've done the initial wet and vigorous application of #7 and left overnight, then did a second application. On the second application, I removed the 7 just after I put it on the hood. Is this the correct procedure for applications after the first?

Question two: After the second application I have a deep glossy black, but it is looking like I will have to go at it with abrasives. Should I continue to put more applications of the 7, or go to an abrasive at this stage?

bigbadbp7
11-17-2012, 01:04 AM
I just got done doing this old ford. I polished then threw on the #7 came out really well. I will post a picture up for you tomorrow. I am on the internet at a hotel and my photobucket will not load.

Blackthorn One
11-17-2012, 04:12 AM
How many coats of #7 depends upon the condition of the paint. I put 12 coats on my 57, all allowed to sit overnight. With a 79. I would consider 3 or 4 coats, but I haven't seen the car. I apply until the paint stops absorbing the oils.

TwoFoolsAMinute
11-17-2012, 04:24 AM
And how do I know when the paint has stopped absorbing the oils?

Blackthorn One
11-17-2012, 04:43 AM
And how do I know when the paint has stopped absorbing the oils?
I know when it starts feeling slippery when I apply. When it is still absorbing, the paint feels a bit dry when you apply, and you have to rub hard. When the paint becomes saturated with oils, it feels oily and starts to stop absorbing them.

Mike Phillips
11-17-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm doing this:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html#post313790

To my 79 Ranchero with black single stage paint and I have some questions and I'll have more as I continue to move forward.

I'm only doing the hood at this time.

Question one: I've done the initial wet and vigorous application of #7 and left overnight, then did a second application. On the second application, I removed the 7 just after I put it on the hood. Is this the correct procedure for applications after the first?

How long you leave the second coat depends upon how bad or how dried out the paint is. In my article I'm applying multiple coats for two reasons...

1. Gorge the paint with oils, pushing them into the paint with each rubdown

2. Abrading the dead paint off, remember the article is also about "removing" oxidation without using abrasives and it's the "rubbing" of the nap of your cloth PLUS the oils as both a lubricant and a revitalizer that's doing the correction work, that plus elbow grease. :D

If the paint is not too bad on your Elky then 2-3 applications should be more than enough to do the job.

Question two: After the second application I have a deep glossy black, but it is looking like I will have to go at it with abrasives. Should I continue to put more applications of the 7, or go to an abrasive at this stage?

By your description, time to go ahead and start abrading the paint, start with a medium cut polish, something safe like Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover.

Looking forward to your after pictures...

:xyxthumbs:

TwoFoolsAMinute
11-17-2012, 07:41 PM
After the initial application to half of the roof of the car.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/1979_El_Camino_Paint_Restore.jpg

:)

oldmodman
11-18-2012, 05:29 AM
I used Mike's method on a 2002 Toyota with single stage white chalk.

I gave it five treatments with the Meguiars #7 before I felt that it was "full" and wouldn't eat any more.

Then polished as I normally would. Turned out better than I hoped it would.

TwoFoolsAMinute
11-18-2012, 05:56 PM
If my towel is still coming up black with the M07, does that mean I should keep going?

Blackthorn One
11-19-2012, 12:15 AM
If my towel is still coming up black with the M07, does that mean I should keep going?
No. That is not an indicator of being done. It will always come up black. However, as you get done, it will become black more slowly. You are still removing some paint thickness while doing this, so it cannot be done forever. You need to look at the paint and decide when done. #7 will make the paint look deep and rich, and will even remove some scratches, but the final shine will come from the finessing polish.

Mike Phillips
11-19-2012, 09:19 AM

No. That is not an indicator of being done. It will always come up black.

Correct, that's the nature of a single stage, especially a black single stage as these tend to be the softest paints.

However, as you get done, it will become black more slowly. You are still removing some paint thickness while doing this, so it cannot be done forever. You need to look at the paint and decide when done.

Correct.

#7 will make the paint look deep and rich, and will even remove some scratches, but the final shine will come from the finessing polish.

Correct.

At some point you will need and want to do some type of abrading process to the paint to remove surface defects and further perfect the finish. The key thing was to first restore the health of the paint by gorging it with the #7 oils. Now that you've done this try doing some light polishing using either a medium or fine cut polish with a foam polishing pad.

Start out non-aggressive and see what you can do. You can always get more aggressive with a compound or cutting pad or both but see what you can do with polishes and polishing pads first.

Looking forward to some after pictures.

Try to set your camera's white balance for pictures inside your garage or move the car outside and you'll probably get better pictures that are all golden and yellow.

By the way I resized your picture to 800 pixels wide and uploaded it into your gallery her on AGO and then re-inserted it into your post above.

:D

bigbadbp7
11-19-2012, 12:22 PM
This is a old Ford I did, the paint was terrible. I just M105 then I layed down some number 7 on it right after polishing and let it set. Customer almost peed his pants he was so happy.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/100_3606.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/100_3594.jpg

Mike Phillips
11-19-2012, 12:57 PM
This is a old Ford I did, the paint was terrible. I just M105 then I layed down some number 7 on it right after polishing and let it set.

You can do it that way too, the jist of my article is targeted at antique paints where it's vitally important to the owner to preserve the original paint and if and when that's the case then to rub the paint down "before" abrading it to condition it beforehand.

I outline all of this in my article here,

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html)

p.s.

I rotated your pickup bed picture and then resized both of your pictures to 800 pixels wide and put them in your gallery here on AGO instead of Photobucket...

:Picture: