PDA

View Full Version : Help with leather care

WRXINXS
11-16-2012, 11:08 AM
I Just bought a 93 RX-7 with black leather seats. The car only has 18,000 miles so the seats are in pretty good shape. This is my first car with leather and I had a few questions. I really want to buy the Wolfgang leather care combo kit with the cleaner and conditioner but do I also need the third step of a sealant after I clean and condition? Or is the conditioning the last step? If I do need a sealant, can I use PERL which I already have or do I need something like the Wolfgang Cockpit trim sealant?

Thanks,
Drew

Old Tiger
11-16-2012, 07:26 PM
I Just bought a 93 RX-7 with black leather seats. The car only has 18,000 miles so the seats are in pretty good shape. This is my first car with leather and I had a few questions. I really want to buy the Wolfgang leather care combo kit with the cleaner and conditioner but do I also need the third step of a sealant after I clean and condition? Or is the conditioning the last step? If I do need a sealant, can I use PERL which I already have or do I need something like the Wolfgang Cockpit trim sealant?

Thanks,
Drewnditioner wont do much IMO.
I recommend a protectant instead of a conditioner. Optimum Protectant or Leathermaster come to mind. If your leather is coated as most are, a co

A-train
11-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I second leather masters. Their most popular combo pack will be perfect for type A and P leathers which are essentially coated and real leather. It comes with :
Soft Cleaner
Vital protection
Protection cream

It's a great system and easy to work with. Also leaves your seats looking an feeling great with a slight sheen.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

WRXINXS
11-16-2012, 09:57 PM
How can I tell if my leather is "coated or real leather"?

A-train
11-16-2012, 11:13 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/45335-how-tell-difference-between-coated-uncoated-leather.html

Here is a thread with a good chart in it.
There are several factors. Smell being one, however with it being a 93 that may not do much good. Texture being another. Real leather with be slightly more grabby. The best way would be to put a drop of water on your seats and if the water soaks in its real leather, if it does not its most like coated.

WRXINXS
11-17-2012, 09:33 AM
A-Train,

I just went through the chart. I was a little confused by the step to scratch with fingernail but I have determined by the chart that I either have "Bicast or laminated" or "aniline". Not quite sure which but would the Leather master kit work either way (the one with the cleaner and protection creme)? It says it is for Protected and aniline leathers but I don't know if "Bicast or laminated" is a protected leather?

On the two tests, the water does not soak in it beads off. And when I scratch the leather it does not seem to leave a mark but i'm not 100%.

Just want to make sure my leather is protected or aniline before I buy leathermasters kit.

cmichael258
11-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Ultima Interior Guard Plus :
Ultima Interior Guard Plus 4 oz., interior protectant, rubber & vinyl protectant, rubber dressing (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-guard-4.html)

A-train
11-17-2012, 01:02 PM
A-Train,

I just went through the chart. I was a little confused by the step to scratch with fingernail but I have determined by the chart that I either have "Bicast or laminated" or "aniline". Not quite sure which but would the Leather master kit work either way (the one with the cleaner and protection creme)? It says it is for Protected and aniline leathers but I don't know if "Bicast or laminated" is a protected leather?

On the two tests, the water does not soak in it beads off. And when I scratch the leather it does not seem to leave a mark but i'm not 100%.

Just want to make sure my leather is protected or aniline before I buy leathermasters kit.

Sorry I was a little delayed getting back to this thread. But to answer your question yes then you have coated leather. The leather master kit will work for that. The different names can be confusing but in my opinion coated is coated whether you call it laminated, pleather, etc. in reference to Bicast I think it is along then same lines however is more common in furniture.
This is why I prefer the Leather master set because earlier when I made reference to type A an P leathers, that encompasses subcategories in itself, and it will be safe on most all leather type material found in vehicles obviously with the exception to Alcantra and Suede. The Leather Masters home sight has a great deal of Information on there as well.

mg6045
11-18-2012, 08:04 AM
ive always used leather masters or LTT leather care products for leather. They are both water based polymer sealants for your leather. In a car a protectant/sealant is whats important, NOT a conditioner. If you use a sealant on the leather you do it after cleaning. the seats needs to be stripped of oils, so dont apply it after a conditioner.

You are constantly going in and out of the car in all different conditions. with either dirty cloth's or in damp conditions. Most oil or lanolin based Leather "conditioners" do nothing to protect from dirt and water. All they do is moisturize the seat which helps the leather hold onto dirt more. So I avoid "conditioners" at all costs for car leather.

But I recently have tried the Wolfgang and Ultima interior sealants and they actually work as good or better than leather masters. They are easier to apply (you have to be careful not to overuse leather masters or LTT otherwise the seat can become tacky), give a nice even finish, and are even more water, moisture and dirt proof . This is obvious by how easily the seat cleans up with just a damp rag or Ultima detail spray. Wolfgang and Ultima are solvent based, but I have seen no harmful effect when using them on finished leather. Another benefit is that they can actually be cleaned off without being removed. if you use a mild cleaner, the sealant is durable enough to not be stripped off.