PDA

View Full Version : Battery for Older Brinkmann

Setec Astronomy
11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't know if this is the right forum, and I thought there was already a thread about this but I could't find it. I have a Brinkmann from 5 or 6 years ago, which I found out in the hurricane won't take a charge. Do I throw it in the garbage or is there some way to get a new battery for it? I'm going to try to open it up now, I'll see how that goes.

Setec Astronomy
11-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Ok, it was a little bit of a pain getting this thing apart because it's got a rounded cover on the top that wasn't really meant to come off, but it's a Power One KT625 6V 2.5Ah battery. Looks like it costs about $10 and $10 shipping...not sure if it is worth it.

70fastback
11-16-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't know if this is the right forum, and I thought there was already a thread about this but I could't find it. I have a Brinkmann from 5 or 6 years ago, which I found out in the hurricane won't take a charge. Do I throw it in the garbage or is there some way to get a new battery for it? I'm going to try to open it up now, I'll see how that goes.

I also have one that is very old...I got it long before I knew it would be so valuable as a swirl finder. About a year ago, I tried to charge it and of course it did not take a charge. I opened it up, looked to see if I could change the batteries, then I placed it in a garage drawer and it's still sitting there.

Yes, it was a pain to get apart...and I also wondered if it was worth it to replace the batteries or just buy a new one. I was thinking about getting a head lamp instead.

FUNX650
11-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Ok, it was a little bit of a pain getting this thing apart because it's got a rounded cover on the top that wasn't really meant to come off, but it's a Power One KT625 6V 2.5Ah battery. Looks like it costs about $10 and $10 shipping...not sure if it is worth it.
-I like to hang onto older-stuff (myself included)...
-But I'd be tempted to go with the newer Brinkmans ~ $30...

BTW:
I've never really sat down and tried to figure out the differences
between these two AGO Brinkman-offerings (besides about $2.00):
-Maxfire Dual Xenon Swirl Finder Spotlight
-Max Fire Marine Dual Xenon Spotlight

:dunno:

Bob

2old2change
11-16-2012, 01:10 PM
I have two of the Brinkmann's. The oldest one was purchased in 2006. Last year it wouldn't hold a charge so the second one was purchased. About a month ago the older one was placed on the charger by mistake for about 3-4 days. It now holds a charge but the battery life is about half of the new one.When these need to be replace it will be with new ones instead of replacing the batteries. Between sales at AG and other various vendors they rival the price of batteries alone.