PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - New Black Lexus

Wofat
11-15-2012, 02:36 PM
New to the boards, so please be kind. :xyxthumbs:

I've always loved black cars but always had trouble keeping them looking new. I just purchased a new Lexus ES 350 in black with the parchment interior. As such, I'd like to keep this beautiful automobile looking great.

The products and towels I have now are old, worn, and I wouldn't trust them on the new car, so I'm in the market to re-outfit my garage. What I'd like to know is, is there a good guide for those just starting out as to basic products for the weekend warrior?

I'm interested in a synth sealer like a Klasse and then layering on some Caranuba. For the interior I must admit, I have no idea where to start. I've searched around the site a bit, but it seems kind of overwhelming to figure out everything i need.

Note: I already need something to clean up my mats. Was parked under some sort of cherry tree and when some friends hopped in, they brought some cherry with them.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
11-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Congrats on the new car... here's a saying I think you'll like or hate...

Black isn't a color, it's a full time job

If you don't own some kind of electric polisher I would recommend getting one as it will make it a lot easier maintaining the paint plus faster. A simple DA Polisher like the PC, Griot's or Meguiar's will suffice...

Also, check out these two articles,

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

How to maintain a freshly waxed car (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/40056-how-maintain-freshly-waxed-car.html)

And this one...

It's not that hard... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/55512-s-not-hard.html)

Also, since this was your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

The best and friendliest auto detailing forum on the Internet...

:dblthumb2:

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Yep. You dont own black. Black owns you.

Welcome to the world of being a slave to a black vehicle to keep it looking prestine.

Jsmooth
11-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Grats on the new car and welcome!

Y2KSVT
11-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Welcome to AG! Congratulations on your new Lexus. I love the ES 350, and in black, they look gorgeous when they're properly maintained! Here's a combo you can't go wrong with:

Detailer’s Maximum Paint Protection Combo, best winter wax, best car wax winter protection (http://www.autogeek.net/maximum-paint-protection-combo.html)

I've been using DP Poli-Coat paint sealant for two years and it's incredible. I easily get 6 months of protection out of it, albeit we garage our vehicles. But the paint still beads up, even after a strong winter. I've heard a lot of great things about the Collinite 845 liquid wax so I recently picked up a bottle of it. It, in and of itself is known to provide 6 months of protection, so paired together, you'll have durability covered. Most people feel that the Collinite provides a nice look as well, while others may point you towards Blackfire or another flavor of the month type of combination. I'd suggest going into the Autogeek store and looking through their sealants and waxes, finding something you're interested in, and then searching back on the forum to find pictures and reviews of vehicles that are sporting those combinations. Hope this helps! :xyxthumbs:

Wofat
11-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Wow, thanks for all the info. Actually, I'm a glutton for punishment as this is my 4th black car in a row. However, the car I had for the past six years wasn't in great shape when my wife and I switched auto's, so I didn't put much time into it. I plan on keeping up with this one.

Any suggestions on good interior care products? Specifically, something for the leather seats and dash, plastic parts, and a good shampoo (or cleaner) for the carpet?

Thanks!

Charleston
11-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Going to make this quick and easy!

For a soap - Meguiars Gold Class is my favorite, cheap and easy to get.

Washmitt - Pretty much any wash-mitt sold on autogeek will do the job.

ALSO purchase a bucket AND a grit guard.

For drying, any thick drying towels sold here will do the job.

DO NOT use towels from home. Do not let anything touch the ground, and keep everything clean. Also dont use automatic car washes.