PDA

View Full Version : Washing your car in your driveway a new crime!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mike Phillips
11-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Washing your car in your driveway a new crime!

I read the article below and I'm not surprised by anything being done by the EPA or by the government of California, but what I picked out of the article was that it reads like "new crimes" have been added to the law books.

The below is shared from the online version of the North County Times in San Diego, California under the freedom of information act. All credit due to the source.

See the part I highlighted in red...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Begin copy and paste
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That dog may cost you $100,000 a day (http://www.nctimes.com/news/opinion/editorial/that-dog-may-cost-you-a-day/article_236d6cf2-31d5-5ec4-ac9a-d8b12d082c59.html)

California’s latest experiment in faith-based policymaking is being unleashed today on the San Diego public, as regional water-quality officials begin hearings on new regulations that seem crafted to turn most owners of a car, house or dog into criminals within a decade or so. We wish we were exaggerating.

Under the draft rules, ordinary homeowners may face six years in prison and fines of $100,000 a day if they are deemed serial offenders of such new crimes as allowing sprinklers to hit the pavement, washing a car in the driveway, or, conceivably, failing to pick up dog poop promptly from their own backyards, let alone the sidewalk.

Cities throughout San Diego, south Orange and southwest Riverside counties must enforce the law, and set up 24-hour hot lines for people to report violations by their neighbors.

The new regulations even apply to firefighters, who would be forced to somehow capture and scrub the water running down the street from fire hoses and burning buildings, although the bureaucrats promise wiggle room for “emergency situations.” We’re at a loss to imagine the fire that doesn’t present an emergency situation, but we’re sure California’s army of environmental lawyers will be glad to help cities figure that out in court.

The preposterous rules come from the earnest regulators at the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board, which is supposed to stop pollution of our waterways and beaches.

Without question, the agency, in collaboration with local officials, has made important progress over the years. San Diego Bay, once heavily polluted, has become significantly cleaner, though heavily polluted areas of the bay remain. The county’s beaches routinely earn “A” grades from an environmental group that measures closures.

Such gains came the old-fashioned way. Cities improved their sewage treatment systems. Officials cracked down on businesses that chronically dumped raw sewage and chemicals into storm drain systems. Restaurants cover grease containers these days, and people rarely dump trash or radiator fluid into a street gutter.

But now state officials are falling into the common trap of modern regulatory regimes – seeking small, questionable improvements at costs that promise to sap billions of dollars from the local economy.

In hundreds of pages, the new regulations set targets that measure bacteria from animal waste during dry periods at local beaches, even as they note that wide variations in bacteria occur naturally in the environment. And we could find no evidence from these officials that severe cuts in storm water runoff will cause improvements in human or wildlife health. Indeed, nowhere do they bother to say why today’s levels are considered bad for us.

To their credit, leaders of the city and county governments are beginning to protest the rules. Water-quality officials have promised to be flexible. Billions of dollars rest on that promise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
End copy and paste
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My comment...
I'm all for being good stewards of our planet but there are countries that dump pollution into the air, the water and land unhindered without a care.

America and Americans are by and large very conscience about taking care of and protecting the environment. I think we need to export some of our Environmentalist to other countries where there's lots of work to do to save the earth.

:dunno:

Mike Phillips
11-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Chances are slim restrictions on water use and washing your car will become less into the future and in fact, Californial is known to be a "Bell Weather" state, which means what starts in California creeps across into other states over time.

That said, get use to the idea of learning to use Rinseless Washes and Waterless Washes.

How To Use Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash with Carnauba (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/57429-how-use-pinnacle-liquid-crystal-waterless-wash-carnauba.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1616/1936_Chevy_Coupe032.jpg

RhetoricMixes
11-15-2012, 02:48 PM
So sad to read that article Mike. Not because of the law against car washing but just then general stupidity of the law itself. If that actually ends up passing it will be a sad day for California.

Its time like these im glad i use a rinseless :coolgleam:

fenderpicks
11-15-2012, 02:51 PM
That is one reason i will never live in cali.
Cali has the most restriction on nearly EVERYTHING.

57BORNTORUN
11-15-2012, 02:54 PM
That law is as silly as the new pet seat belt law in my home State of NEW JERSEY.:nomore:

Mike Phillips
11-15-2012, 02:59 PM
I usually don't start threads like this but this affects the car hobby, both pros and enthusiasts.

It's good that we have alternative, i.e. rinseless and waterless car washes.

Please be mindful of what you post to a thread like this or it will be closed very quickly.

Try to have a professional "discussion" that is on topic.

Thank you ahead of time...

:xyxthumbs:

rwright
11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
I think we need to export some of our Environmentalist to other countries where there's lots of work to do to save the earth.

I agree with this, starting with China.

rwright
11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
That said, get use to the idea of learning to use Rinseless Washes and Waterless Washes.

Think of the marketing potential for mobile detailers as the laws continue to crack down on waste water if they go eco friendly with rinseless/waterless.

brentech
11-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Biggest issue at play is there doesn't seem to be a clearly defined rule set. If they need lawyers to figure the bill out, they haven't done a good job.

I'm all for doing my part, but not at the expense of living life.
To our issue specifically, if it came down to worst case scenario, many cars around would go uncared for (as if there isn't enough of those). Cars would not hold up as long as people would just straight neglect vehicles, and more cars would have to be produced using even more resources.
Not really a good trade. Again, that's worst case scenario.... Not trying to be the crazy guy.

bobble
11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Well since I live in So Cal, South Orange county to be specific this hits home. I am the definition of a serial offenders as every Saturday unless raining or the threat of rain I do 3 vehicles back to back. Only saving grace is I live in a private gated community so access is somewhat limited but who knows what the neighbors say as I am atypical of their lifestyles (no kids at home just me the littel lady in a bigger house, motorcycles and boats etc).

Guess if it happens I will do my main washing at the local spray off using their water and my supplies and an ONR touchup with the garages doors shut.

Wondering out loud, if the verbiage of the law states driveway I'm safe as I wash in the street as my driveway is angled and my buckets roll around. Hmm that ought be a fun conversation with enforcement especially if the law states driveway specifically. We also have no sidewalks so technically I wash in front of my lawn.

To Brentech's point our CCR's state no unsightly vehicles are to be parked outside. Maybe I buy a beater gardener truck and park it outside and so who goes after who. Another fun convo sorry can't keep it clean can't wash it against the law. Whole things sounds like a cluster waiting to happen.

57BORNTORUN
11-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I usually don't start threads like this but this affects the car hobby, both pros and enthusiasts.

It's good that we have alternative, i.e. rinseless and waterless car washes.

Please be mindful of what you post to a thread like this or it will be closed very quickly.

Try to have a professional "discussion" that is on topic.

Thank you ahead of time...

:xyxthumbs:
Duly noted.

Y2KSVT
11-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Now to turn this into a political thread, but how about instead of accepting these new laws, WE AS A PEOPLE stand up to these clowns in Congress and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!! My goodness people, THE GOVERNMENT serves US! Not the other way around!! Wake up, people! :idea:

Good grief, only a week after the election and I'm already blowing a gasket.

EDIT: Again, I'm not trying to stir the pot. Just pointing out that we have only ourselves to blame when we elect our state officials. They, afterall, are a representation of the people.

y8s
11-15-2012, 03:31 PM
The North County Times may not even exist anymore. Mike, how old is that article?

I did two minutes of research on this subject specific to San Diego and want to put the alarmist fears to rest. San Diego does not restrict ALL car washing in your driveway. The following page summarizes the specific water restrictions:

Permanent Water-Waste Restrictions | Public Utilities: Water (http://www.sandiego.gov/water/conservation/drought/prohibitions.shtml)

Specifically:

Vehicles may only be washed at a commercial car wash or by using a hose with an automatic shutoff nozzle or with a hand-held water container.

So basically you can't use your fireman's nozzle but you can use a trigger sprayer. And you can absolutely still wash your car with your hose or buckets or both.

One thing though that should be pointed out here is that most water pollution isn't from single sources or one-time dumpings. It's from water runoff. When it rains on impervious surfaces (roofs, pavement, and compacted soil), the water has nowhere to go but somewhere else. On its way to somewhere else, it washes with it all of the accumulated chemicals and junk that has settled onto the road or it carries away excess fertilizer from lawns and they get dumped into local streams or drainage systems and eventually into larger bodies of water.

This is actually one of the reasons the crab population in the Chesapeake has been so negatively impacted. Chicken farms have IMMENSE chicken waste runoff that flows to the bay and cause massive algae blooms that use up all of the oxygen and leave none for the delicious crabs!

y8s
11-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Now to turn this into a political thread, but how about instead of accepting these new laws, WE AS A PEOPLE stand up to these clowns in Congress and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!! My goodness people, THE GOVERNMENT serves US! Not the other way around!! Wake up, people! :idea:

Good grief, only a week after the election and I'm already blowing a gasket.

EDIT: Again, I'm not trying to stir the pot. Just pointing out that we have only ourselves to blame when we elect our state officials. They, afterall, are a representation of the people.

No disrespect intended here, but before we stand up to the clowns and do anything, we need to educate ourselves about what the reality of the situation is. See my post about the specifics of the law Mike posted about.

It does nobody any good to march on Washington with misinformation and misplaced anger.

Y2KSVT
11-15-2012, 03:47 PM
No disrespect intended here, but before we stand up to the clowns and do anything, we need to educate ourselves about what the reality of the situation is. See my post about the specifics of the law Mike posted about.

It does nobody any good to march on Washington with misinformation and misplaced anger.

Sorry bud, but just the fact that anyone, even the government, wants to dictate what type of hose sprayer you can use, and goes so far as to pass a law about it, just goes to show how far gone these people are from reality. You may think it's petty, "hey, it's only a hose, what's the big deal" right? Look at everything around you that's being regulated from light bulbs, to the size of soft drink you can buy, to now wanting to ban certain colors of vehicles? Slowly but surely, our freedoms are being stripped away, WILLINGLY by the people.