PDA

View Full Version : Weak PADS!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Qusai
11-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Before i purchased my pc7424, i tried to do as much research possible to understand what i was getting. I eventually went with the 5.5 low profile hydro tech pads. Bein new to this whole detailing game, i feel like the quality of these hydro tech pads were compromised when i compared it to the orange and gray ccs pad that came with my pc deal package. I cant even use mikes method on cleaning the pad on the fly for these pads because one of them is starting to cave in the middle and is feeling less dense. Im not even sure if that pad is still a safe one to work with. Ultimately, i just want some feedback on some heavy duty good quality pads that will last me. I like the way the ht pads cut and finish, but i want some good quality pads too. Thank you for your time!!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Dosent sound like a pad problem but rather you are over loading the pad wiith product coupled with running the machine at a high rate is causing the center of the pad to cave in.

Have you noticed the back of the pad or backing plate getting really hot?

SonOfOC
11-14-2012, 11:28 AM
The LC HT pads are fantastic pads and far from being weak. The performance is top notch and durability is also very good with the exception of the Cyan.

Pad caving in middle is a result of too much product and/ or too much heat. Product will physically migrate to the center of the pad causing it to be very saturated. If your work area is too large, the PC will transfer lots of heat down the spindle using that saturated center to cave in your pad.

Before you know it, your pad will weaken in the middle and potential disintergrate or delaminate.

RhetoricMixes
11-14-2012, 11:33 AM
The LC HT pads are fantastic pads and far from being weak. The performance is top notch and durability is also very good with the exception of the Cyan.

Pad caving in middle is a result of too much product and/ or too much heat. Product will physically migrate to center of the pad causing it to be very saturated. If your work area is too large, the PC will transfer lots of heat down the spindle. This heat will further deteriote the center of the pad.

Before you know it, your pad will cave in middle and potential disintergrate or delaminate.

Couldnt have been said any better :xyxthumbs: . Just make sure your not over loading the product your using on the pad and dont work too big a section and problem solved. I use the hydro tech pads (except crimson) and i love them. They cut better than the flats and leave a better finish IMO.

Qusai
11-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Thank you guys very much sharing your knowledge. I benefit from you all on the daily. I really like these ht pads cuz they've worked for me and I find them to be so versatile. I was just sad when I had one of them cave in on me. Should I just throw that one away ?

SonOfOC
11-14-2012, 12:21 PM
You can cut them up into small pieces and use them to hand polish behind door cups.

Thank you guys very much sharing your knowledge. I benefit from you all on the daily. I really like these ht pads cuz they've worked for me and I find them to be so versatile. I was just sad when I had one of them cave in on me. Should I just throw that one away ?

cleanmycorolla
11-14-2012, 12:22 PM
You can cut them up into small pieces and use them to hand polish behind door cups.

Great tip!:xyxthumbs:

ChrisJ
11-14-2012, 02:09 PM

Wow thats a great idea! I never honestly thought about that; no more tossing old pads for me

FASTFRED
11-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Wow thats a great idea! I never honestly thought about that; no more tossing old pads for me
+1:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
11-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Should I just throw that one away ?

I'd use it till it no longer gets the job done. Even if the center dips inward by the time you apply pressure to the entire face of the pad it all evens out.

Also, nothing lasts forever, everything wears out including you and I. The more you use something the more and faster it wears out.

:)

Andr3wilson
11-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Back when I first started to detail, I caved in an Orange CCS pad for these exact reasons.

I dont use the Orange a lot, but to this very day I can still use it for correction, its a little more tricky, but worth keeping!

dad07
11-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Should I just throw that one away ?

I would use it till you can't use it any more.

neat e34
11-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Out of interest, you mention cleaning on the fly.
What method & tools (brush, terry cloth?) are you using?

RhetoricMixes
11-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Out of interest, you mention cleaning on the fly.
What method & tools (brush, terry cloth?) are you using?

I use dedicated terry cloths to clean my pads on the fly. If the panel is small ill do the whole thing then clean the pad but if the panel is larger ill do it after every couple of section passes.

neat e34
11-16-2012, 01:28 AM
OK cool.
I remember a post from someone on here about damaged pads.
Turns out they were cleaning on the fly as you would with a rotary.
i.e, turning on the machine, spinning up the pad & using a stiff brush from centre outwards...