PDA

View Full Version : boiling micro fibers?

Pages : [1] 2 3

dougsrt
11-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Ok some one talked about boiling mf is there any tricks or do i just boil them in water?

camaro2ssblack
11-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Simply bring a large pot of water to boil
Add in 2-3 capfuls of white vinegar.
Add a couple towels at a time and allow them to boil.
Try to avoid allowing the towels to sit against the sides or bottom of the pot for too long.
After a few moments pull each towel out (using tongs to be safe) and flush under cool water.
Wash these towels using your usual routine and they should be as good as new.

Setec Astronomy
11-13-2012, 10:33 PM
I usually like to add a little salt and pepper, and serve with some grated parmesan.

dougsrt
11-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Haha i might skip the salt and pepper but vinegar and parmesan sound kinda tasty lol

davey g-force
11-14-2012, 12:38 AM
What is boiling them supposed to achieve?

Qusai
11-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Not that i know for sure, but i read on a forum that mentioned the naps on mf which absorb water become ineffective after drying them on high heat in the drying machine. They say that the naps basically melt to where they were not as effective as they originally were. Again i dont know if thats true, but i would really like to know so i can try this method out to restore some mf towels lol. Please and thank you

statusdetailing
11-14-2012, 01:35 AM
I usually like to add a little salt and pepper, and serve with some grated parmesan.

LMAO! :laughing:

neat e34
11-14-2012, 06:10 AM
Not that i know for sure, but i read on a forum that mentioned the naps on mf which absorb water become ineffective after drying them on high heat in the drying machine. They say that the naps basically melt to where they were not as effective as they originally were. Again i dont know if thats true, but i would really like to know so i can try this method out to restore some mf towels lol. Please and thank you

"Dry" heat (such as from a clothes dryer) is different to "wet" heat, as is mentioned here.
You are right that fibres can become scorched from too much dry heat but boiling them will be fine.
As camar02ssblack mentioned, probably a good idea to ensure they don't touch the bottom or sides for too long at a time. IMO probably more of an issue for towels on top which may be partly out of the water & touching the side of the pot, effectively dry

MI Mike
11-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Ok some one talked about boiling mf is there any tricks or do i just boil them in water?

Here is a link from 2009, when I asked the very same question. Hope this helps.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/21265-microfiber-drying-towels-best-boiling-towels.html

Setec Astronomy
11-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Not that i know for sure, but i read on a forum that mentioned the naps on mf which absorb water become ineffective after drying them on high heat in the drying machine. They say that the naps basically melt to where they were not as effective as they originally were.

So boiling would unmelt the "naps"? MF towels lose their absorptiveness from various types of contamination being held on the fibers, whether that that be detailing products like LSP's and dressings, fabric softener from an oops, or minerals from hard water.

RMM
11-14-2012, 05:02 PM
If you always wash them around 75º C (167º F), you never ever have to do this.

Qusai
11-14-2012, 05:19 PM
"Dry" heat (such as from a clothes dryer) is different to "wet" heat, as is mentioned here.
You are right that fibres can become scorched from too much dry heat but boiling them will be fine.

Thank you for clearing that up for me, nice.

Bunky
11-14-2012, 07:07 PM
If you always wash them around 75º C (167º F), you never ever have to do this.

That is hot for a hot water heater....scalding to skin.

davey g-force
11-14-2012, 08:06 PM
That is hot for a hot water heater....scalding to skin.

Agreed. Most hot water heaters are set to about 60º C.

Don Gl
11-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Just an FYI on the various temperatures of hot water:

Table of Hot Water Scalding Temperatures & Times
Water Temperature Setting Exposure Time Effects of Exposure to Hot water at These Temperatures
Water at 100 degF or below See safety note.
Most water heaters are unlikely to scald an adult occupant;

Water at 120 degF 5 minutes 2nd & 3rd degree burns on adult skin
Water at 130 degF 30 seconds 2nd & 3rd degree burns on adult skin
Water at 140 degF 5 seconds 2nd & 3rd degree burns on adult skin
Water at 150 degF 1 1/2 seconds 2nd & 3rd degree burns on adult skin
Water at 160 degF 1/2 second 2nd & 3rd degree burns on adult skin
Safety Note: Hot Water Scald Burn Warning for Infants, Children, Elderly: great care must be taken when exposing infants or children to warm or hot water as they can be badly burned quickly and at shorter exposure times.
Source: A.O. Smith Water Heater Company

PROCEED WITH CAUTION

Don