PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Versus Pain

Pages : [1] 2

MarkD51
11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Hello forumites,

Some thoughts have been recently coming back to me, about how many times over the years, doing vehicles, my own, and others.

And recalling many of those times, and the painful after effects with soreness, even as a youngster.

Now, I'm not so young anymore. And also many more battle scars to the body.

So, while in the old days. I had a nice roll aound stool, that was left to my dad when I moved here. There were only so many things I could take when I moved.

Sure, I love that beautiful little roll around cart AG sells, but I'm trying to save myself a few centavos here and there.

Yesterday, I thought of seeking a cheap makseshift option, and at the local Goodwill eyed myself a like new small armless office chair, with removable backrest, 5 casters, hydraulic adjustable height, lowest at 16" and the price was $4.99.

Off came the backrest, and voila, I'm in business, so that I can enjoy a little more comfort. I figure better comfort means I can devote more time to do such detailing processes on side panels, wheels, and tires, bumpers, etc, without kneeling, crouching, and then rushing through processes because of discomfort.

Next two little options for myself, will be cutting myself a nice thick piece of Carpet, about 36"x36", and as well am going to seek out a nice pair of Knee Pads. Home Depot/Lowes should have what I need.

Especially as the weather gets cooler now, some wise old timers from years ago always told me some of the worst things you could do to your body, was sitting on, or kneeling on cold concrete when working. Mark

Eandras
11-13-2012, 07:54 PM
I don't know if this is ok but harbour freight sells a mechanics pad that is padded with that you can lay on for 12.99. Just search for mechanics pad on their site.

It is comfortable we're you can kneel, sit, or lay down .

Ed

TroyScherer
11-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Pain is temporary... Pride is forever....

DaveT435
11-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Pain is temporary... Pride is forever....

Believe me pain isn't always temporary...take care of yourself through the years and use any precaution you can...trust me...

TroyScherer
11-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Believe me pain isn't always temporary...take care of yourself through the years and use any precaution you can...trust me...

I understand and agree. I myself try to stay as comfortable as possible while detailing to minimize the pain later on.

dirtydirty
11-13-2012, 09:58 PM
i hear ya.... ive got bad knees from flying in a helicopter

oldmodman
11-13-2012, 11:03 PM
I went all the way for comfort.

After back surgery I bought a four post lift.

No more bending to clean, polish, do brake jobs, rotate tires and so on.

The job rises to me, I don't lower to the job.

DaveT435
11-13-2012, 11:17 PM
i hear ya.... ive got bad knees from flying in a helicopter

I've had one of my knees replaced. That is one of the pains they were actually able to help. Good luck...sounds like you'll be getting some new ones.

MarkD51
11-13-2012, 11:21 PM

I'm sure what we all wouldn't give for something like that!

An old wisconsin high school buddy Tom, (yes I went to high school in sheboygan wisconsin) had many years ago, bought a house north of Sheboygan that was also a small gas station, and an attached garage-shop, with full blown hydraulic lift. Was that sweet, and Tom had collector cars going and coming in his collection like I change socks. I know he's owned more Vettes than I've owned cars.

PS: Back in june '77, attending my 5 year high school reunion was the day I spied Tom's white '67 Vette Ragtop. I had bought a brand new camaro only 3 months prior to the reunion, and 3 months after that reunion, I bought the Vette. Owned the Vette 8-1/2 years, so sorry I sold that car! Ahh, the old days, when little money used to buy nice things! Back then I was only making $7.75/hr. LOL Mark

statusdetailing
11-14-2012, 01:40 AM

How much for a descent lift these days? I'd love to have one in my shop.

Vegas Transplant
11-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Necessity is the mother of invention. Good call on the thrift shop purchase :props:

@ status http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-garage-accessories/50924-new-toy-my-garage-shop.html

Dewy
11-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Do you get the feeling that the young guys on the forum are laughing at us? Well let them laugh. Anything that can make the job more comfortable and less likely for injury is great. This might be a good topic for a thread.

MarkD51
11-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Sorry folks for sort of going off on a tangent about my younger days, and with this post will come back on topic.

The one thing I did like about this little roll around office chair, is that the bottom seat cushion edge is also wrapped with foam, and office type cloth all the way around the cushion.

This gives some margin of safety-protection that should the chair roll into the sides of a vehicle, doubt it will do any irreversible damage to the paint-body panel such as scratching-gouging.

The one thing I don't like, is a Hydraulic Cylinder adjustment Rod under the seat cushion with Plastic end which is awful close the the edge of the seat.

I'm thinking I'll have to take something to it, and see if I can bend it under a little bit, so there won't be a possibility of that coming in contact with a paint finish. Either that, or trim it down slightly with a hacksaw, and find some sort of protective end cap that can be slipped, or threaded on?

Here, in this "Land of Enchantment", we do often get winds here that are one of my pet peeve curses, that it never seems to fail, that when one starts any sort of project outdoors, here comes the winds, guaranteed.

And we often get those crazy Dust Devils that come out of nowhere. They're often common in the dog days of summer, a total calm, then they sweep through like the little mini-tornados that they are.

Turn around for a split second, and be negligent in regards to some stool-chair that has sharp metal edges on it, and it's a recipe for disaster.

Bottom line is, with additional comfort, I can see myself spending more time to attention of details, spending more needed time to do all the processes that can be uncomfortable, such as door jambs, rocker panels, front, and back lower sections of a vehicle.

Many of these areas we sometimes neglect, and it can be often due to a lack of comfort. Mark

RaskyR1
11-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Yep! I got tired of coming home after a long day of working an being in serious pain. With the lift now I haven't had a day where I was in pain anywhere near what I was before. :props:

$1600, well worth it!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/IMG_2422.jpg

Stand while you polish or sit in a chair...it's up to you! (Buddy Justin pictured) :)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/IMG_24461280x956.jpg

statusdetailing
11-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Is there any danger of damaging the underside of the vehicle, exhaust, etc?