PDA

View Full Version : cleaning lower valance plastic grill work???

texaszed4mc
11-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Mike, Having owned several BMW M3's with the black mesh plastic grills in the lower valance. Keeping them black is impossible. Whats the best advice other than a dressing guys? I would like something that actually does more than just the front edge. The inside edges also need to be treated also.

ken tuep
11-13-2012, 02:26 PM
A baby bottle brush might get in there descent?

texaszed4mc
11-13-2012, 02:56 PM
this area here where the arrow is pointing. I am sure a small bottle brush will work to clean it. But whats going to bring it back to a deep black(new) instead of the weathered black plastic look it has now

dpk20x
11-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Maybe s100 engine brightner. It's designed for wrinkle black motorcycle engines but looks like it would work well there.

Delivery method is similar to wd40. Aerosol can with a straw so you don't get overspray all over the place.

AutowerxDetailing
11-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Can't comment on longevity yet but so far I am very impressed with this stuff. It actually contains black dye to restore your plastic.

Solution Finish Exterior Trim Kit, trim restorer, rubber restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-kit.html)

this area here where the arrow is pointing. I am sure a small bottle brush will work to clean it. But whats going to bring it back to a deep black(new) instead of the weathered black plastic look it has now

Setec Astronomy
11-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Some of the things I've used on grilles not exactly like that are WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant) and Opti-Seal. The Opti-Seal was convenient because it comes in a spray bottle. I know Rasky has sprayed Opti-Coat with an airbrush on new grilles like that.

C4 would work great, but it will be really tough to work on that grille. As mentioned, Solution Finish or the new-to-AG Tuf Shine Black Restore might be a good solution.

07gtcs
11-13-2012, 05:00 PM
I've used spray on Engine dressing like Sonus Trim and Motor coat. Follow with a foam pad or MF towel to level out/spread around.

melF1fan
11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
If not coating then - Chemical Guys Back to Black or Detailer's Trim Detail

Both are aerosol spray cans and i've found these to work quite well for mesh grills such as this.

Rsurfer
11-13-2012, 06:55 PM
CD2 or Auto Smart In & Out. Both will darken and protect the honey comb grill with ease (aerosol).