PDA

View Full Version : Time to step it up, PE14-2 or 3401?

Pages : [1] 2

veeko
11-13-2012, 11:01 AM
A little background,

I've been using the PC 7424XP for the past few years now and I've had some great results but I find it takes me a significant amount of time to complete a single job. I usually take anywhere from 13-16 hours to get through some good paint correction (no wet-sanding) for the average mid-size sedan. Majority of my time is spent on defect removal. I also find that I manage to over-heat the centers of the pads when using the 7424XP for extended periods of time.

My objective,

I'm looking for a way to speed things up, save money on utilities and products as well as make my little side gig as profitable as possible while still providing quality work. I'm wondering if a Flex PE14-2 or 3401 is the way to go. I've always been one for allowing room for growth so that's why I'm leaning more towards the PE14-2. I figure I could use the PE14-2 to speed up the correction process and switch over to the 7424XP for the finishing process. I'm also considering the 3401 as I've read nothing but good about this direct drive DA polisher and part of me things the PE14-2 could potentially be over-kill. I've had to turn down a considerable amount of work due to the time it takes to complete a single job and financially some jobs just don't seem to pan out.

After doing a considerable amount of reading on the forum I think a new machine could really help me out and I'm looking to the community for some feedback.

Thanks,
Lu.

rider9195
11-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I would go with the PE-14. It will help with the major correction and then you can follow up with the Porter Cable.

Mike Phillips
11-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Here's my take...

If you're detailing cars for money then go with the Flex 3401 and get the 6.5" Hybrid Pads, Orange, White and one or two Black pads.

These Hybrid pads are the bomb when it comes to the Flex 3401, the offer great correction and polishing and really last a long time.

Down the road, add the Lake Country Adapter Plate System so you get the 4" backing plate and then add the 5" Hybrid pads to your arsenal. Having both 5" and 6.5" Hybrid pads, the Flex 3401 and some good compounds and polishes will enable you to safely tackle anything that you work on and do the job as fast as possible without the issue of leaving holograms or burning edges.

Plus Flex quality can't be beat...

:)

Nick McKees37
11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I would get both. :dblthumb2:

Call me spoiled because I have access to every tool imaginable, but I've use the PE14 and the 3401 on the last 3-4 cars I've detailed. Now I can't imagine NOT having a PE14 on hand.

While the 3401 is a very capable tool, it simply can't match the precision provided by PE14 when it comes time to perform "surgical buffing."

And while the PE14 is known as the lean, mean, paint correcting machine, the 3401 is still the tool of choice for a perfect finish due to its dual-action orbit.

Having the right tools for the job not only makes life easier, but it cuts down on the time spent detailing a car. As we've all heard over and over again, time is money.

The Flex PE14-2-150 and the XC3401 will be the two best investments you'll ever make in detailing - bar none.

Club FLEX Intro Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/club-flex-polisher-kit.html) :righton:

DaveT435
11-13-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm in a similar situation. I love detailing...but the amount of time I can do it is very limited because of back problems. I've read that the 3401 doesn't really save that much time. You know better than anyone Mike!! I was thinking of using a rotary on the large flat panels staying away from the edges...then doing around the edges with at PC. Please tell me which would be best strictly from a time stand point...

SonOfOC
11-13-2012, 01:33 PM
I would go with the PE-14. It will help with the major correction and then you can follow up with the Porter Cable.

:iagree:Since you have a DA already. You may love the PE-14 so much and end up buying the 3401. At that point, the PC will become an incredible wax spreader.

DP 08 GXP
11-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I started with the PC7424XP then went up to the Flex 3401 which IMO cut polishing time in about half. I then got the Flex PE14 which I use on hard clears or deeper defects and finish with the Flex 3401. I use the PC for spreading waxes and glazes.

richy
11-14-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm with Nick...get both. The reason is that for some very hard clears, only a rotary and wool will correct them well and quickly. I have no patience for some system that I have to work a panel over and over. That's where the rotary rules! I am using my 3401 more and more and find it does quite well with mild correction and of course for the polishing stage. My DA I now use with a small bp for when i need 3 or 4" pads and of course I have a small bp for my rotary too. With those 3 and the different bp's, you can tackle anything and everything!

addysdaddy
11-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Here's my take...

If you're detailing cars for money then go with the Flex 3401 and get the 6.5" Hybrid Pads, Orange, White and one or two Black pads.

These Hybrid pads are the bomb when it comes to the Flex 3401, the offer great correction and polishing and really last a long time.

Down the road, add the Lake Country Adapter Plate System so you get the 4" backing plate and then add the 5" Hybrid pads to your arsenal. Having both 5" and 6.5" Hybrid pads, the Flex 3401 and some good compounds and polishes will enable you to safely tackle anything that you work on and do the job as fast as possible without the issue of leaving holograms or burning edges.

Plus Flex quality can't be beat...

:)

Finally pulled the trigger - my Flex 3401 arrives today, with all the accessories. Anxious to dive in this weekend.

Danube
11-14-2012, 05:40 PM
I had the same doubt once, but found the answer. Its in my signature.

tuscarora dave
11-14-2012, 06:51 PM
When I got my PE-14 I bad mouthed it because it got so hot that it was smoking. I caused quite a ruckus over that one and was outright called a liar by one forum member for sharing my experience. Well fast forward past the first dozen times of overheating the buffer...It seems once the tool got good and broke in it quit running so hot. I work on a lot of gel coat and I like to run a rotary faster than the max 2100 RPM that I'm limited to with the PE-14 so I just run my Makita and the PE-14 just sits in the cabinet all the time.

I'm taking a road trip next week and I'll be stopping in to Boston to meet BostonDetails (Mike) and SeaJay's (Jason) where I'll be selling my PE-14 to Mike.

It has turned out to be a great build quality and very comfortable, smooth running rotary that I definitely recommend so long as you don't need a real powerhouse of a machine. It's a great tool, just doesn't fit my needs.

The 3401 on the other hand is such a powerful and quality machine that I had to buy a second one. I found myself in a position where a helper would be using the 3401 and I was losing time by running any of my other machines. I needed to have 2. The 3401 is a freeking bulldozer. If mine ever craps out on me I'll be buying a replacement the same day.

Both great machines but the PE-14 has limitations in some situations.

VISITOR
11-15-2012, 05:20 AM
the flex DA should be able to tackle whatever comes your way, given it's versatility now with the different backing plates to accomodate both smaller and larger pads. if you're looking to buy a rotary, you may want to hold off as there is a new flex rotary (more power than the pe-14) in the works if i'm not mistaken...

Danube
11-15-2012, 08:24 AM
When I got my PE-14 I bad mouthed it because it got so hot that it was smoking.

You should return the unit and get a replacement, the pe14 flex is not supposed to smoke.

/:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
11-15-2012, 09:10 AM
the flex DA should be able to tackle whatever comes your way, given it's versatility now with the different backing plates to accomodate both smaller and larger pads.

Correct.

if you're looking to buy a rotary, you may want to hold off as there is a new flex rotary (more power than the pe-14) in the works if i'm not mistaken...

You're mistaken.

The new Flex Rotary Polisher is not more powerful. The change is is the RPM range. Here's what I wrote a few months ago for another project.

The Flex PE14-2-180 is especially built for buffing glass and plastic surfaces at low speeds to avoid heat problems. The RPM range for this new polisher from flex goes all the way down to 250 RPM’s with a high of 1350 RPM’s.

I also just talked to Bob Eichelberg and at this time he does not plan on bring this model to the U.S. market. The reason why is because the Flex PE 14 already has a low of 400 RPM off trigger-lock and 600 RPM locked at the trigger and this is as slow as a person will ever need to go when it comes to compounding, polishing or machine applying a one-step cleaner/wax.

As Bill Murry said in the movie "Stripes"

That's the facts Jack...

:D

VISITOR
11-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Correct.

You're mistaken.

The new Flex Rotary Polisher is not more powerful. The change is is the RPM range. Here's what I wrote a few months ago for another project.

The Flex PE14-2-180 is especially built for buffing glass and plastic surfaces at low speeds to avoid heat problems. The RPM range for this new polisher from flex goes all the way down to 250 RPM’s with a high of 1350 RPM’s.

I also just talked to Bob Eichelberg and at this time he does not plan on bring this model to the U.S. market. The reason why is because the Flex PE 14 already has a low of 400 RPM off trigger-lock and 600 RPM locked at the trigger and this is as slow as a person will ever need to go when it comes to compounding, polishing or machine applying a one-step cleaner/wax.

As Bill Murry said in the movie "Stripes"

That's the facts Jack...

:D

mike, i must of been mis-informed or heard incorrectly then, as i heard it was going to be more powerful than the pe-14. in anycase, there you have it chief. by the way, i never cared for the movie "stripes", bill murray was better in caddyshack LOL...