PDA

View Full Version : After compounding...

TheGuyWho
11-12-2012, 09:10 PM
This might seem like a ridiculous question to some people, but after using Megs UC, do you have to follow it up with polish or something else or could I just use wax to seal it and be done? Reason I ask is I just started on my wife's Expedition today for a much needed detail. I thought I had neglected it pretty bad, but once I washed and clayed it it didn't seem all that bad at all. As of right now ive done Megs UC on the whole thing, and to be honest it doesn't look bad. Its silver, so it hides scratches and swirls extremely well. And the scratches/swirls that are visible (to me) aren't even that bad. In act Im not even sure I could get them out with foam pads to begin with.

Whats the consensus? Absolutely follow with polish, or can I just go to wax?

Im using a Meguiars DA polisher. I have Megs 105 and swirl remover 2.0 in my arsenal I could use.

Bill1234
11-12-2012, 09:12 PM
m105 is very agressive with a cutting pad. I would start with the swirl remover. If that does not work, step it up to uc. Are you using light pressure and speed 4-5. A cross hatch pattern with 4 passes should remove most

tuscarora dave
11-12-2012, 09:16 PM
If it looks good to you...go straight to wax.

TheGuyWho
11-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Yes I know its aggressive. Im not necessarily looking for advice on getting rid of swirls. I know how to do that. Im saying the swirls that are there, if you can find them, don't bother me. So can I just seal it or should I, or do I NEED to follow UC with a polish?

Bill1234
11-12-2012, 09:19 PM
I would seal with a long lasting wax or sealent

tuscarora dave
11-12-2012, 09:21 PM
You don't need to follow it with polish. In fact the less polishing you do on it the better off you are. Wax it..

TheGuyWho
11-12-2012, 09:21 PM
If it looks good to you...go straight to wax.

Thanks. Im just being lazy on this one. Its a dirty old 4x4, that looks pretty damn good for a dirty old 4x4. Hahaha, the silver color hides just about everything to the naked eye. Its a great color for the wife's car… Hahaha :dblthumb2:

TheGuyWho
11-12-2012, 09:36 PM
& I meant to say Megs 205…

MTLean
11-12-2012, 11:58 PM
I like to use UP, does a real good job for a consumer line product. I can't lie though m205 is on my next order.

FUNX650
11-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Since Meg's UC uses SMAT abrasives technology...
You can stop/finish polishing anywhere in the buffing-cycle
without leaving swirls caused by the abrasives.

So if your happy with the way the vehicle's paint looks after finishing using UC...
By all means: Apply your LSP.

:)

Bob