PDA

View Full Version : Electric Impact Guns 1/2"

Pages : [1] 2

swanicyouth
11-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Anyone here ever use an electric impact gun? I'm used to air tools, but don't have a compressor or the area to store one. I was thinking of picking up an electric 1/2" drive impact gun for stuff like removing lug nuts, control arm bolts, etc... Do they have the torque to do this like a 1/2" air impact gun would? Or are they not as strong? Thanks.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Yes. I have one and I think its great. Has plenty of power and you dont have to wait for the air to build up so you can use it. Also mine has a rocker switch for forward and reverse so you can quickly break bolts loose by rocking the switch back and forth.

Go over to your local auto parts store and pick one up. I got mine from Autozone.

FUNX650
11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Anyone here ever use an electric impact gun? I'm used to air tools, but don't have a compressor or the area to store one. I was thinking of picking up an electric 1/2" drive impact gun for stuff like removing lug nuts, control arm bolts, etc... Do they have the torque to do this like a 1/2" air impact gun would? Or are they not as strong? Thanks.
-I mostly use air tools [Chicago Pneumatic (CP)]...

-But I've got an old 1/2 drive Milwaukee electric that I use very
infrequently, that's ~ 300 ft/lbs torque, if I remember correctly.
Does alright IMO.

-The amount of torque sometimes depends on the amount
of money one is willing to part with.

-Be wary, though of stated and rated: in/lbs vs ft/lbs.
>>>>>(100 in/lbs = ~ 8 ft/lbs.)<<<<<

:)

Bob

swanicyouth
11-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks... I was just wondering because it seemed to good to be true. I'm used to air tools also, as I worked as a flat rate mechanic at Ford for 7 years out of high school. I rarely need an impact wrench, so I'm not interested in investing in the whole air tool set up. But I have to drop a control arm and replace a bolted on half shaft on a 4x4 SUV and the bolts look pretty rusty. As long as it could zip off lug nuts ill be happy with it. Maybe I'll even see what Harbor Freight has, as, if it doesn't work as stated I know I can return it and also I can get extra warranty on it.

mswerb
11-12-2012, 04:12 PM
I have one and use it regularly for tire rotations that I do myself. I also have a cordless Craftsman impact that works, but not as well.

FUNX650
11-12-2012, 04:28 PM
the bolts look pretty rusty.

^^^WD-40 the: H. E. Double-hockey sticks out of 'em!!^^^

As long as it could zip off lug nuts ill be happy with it. Maybe I'll even see what Harbor Freight has, as, if it doesn't work as stated I know I can return it and also I can get extra warranty on it.

^^^:props:^^^

I'd bet their Chicago Electric brand of 1/2"-drives would be worth a shot!!

Bob

rider9195
11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Some of the higher end electric impacts are actually better than some low end impacts. From a forum I'm on the Ingersol Rand seems to be top of the line.

swanicyouth
11-12-2012, 05:44 PM
I seems like there are two common torque rating types out there. Mind you, Im only interested in the corded ones, not the battery ones. It looks like there are ones in the 220-230 ft/lb range and ones in the 300 ft/lb range. Of course, the latter costs more. The best "reputable" 300 ft/lb one I saw was a Crafstman for $107. Come pay day, I'll think I'll pick that one up.
Craftsman Professional 1/2 in. Impact Wrench Reviews - Craftsman Community (http://community.craftsman.com/Craftsman-Professional-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench--2681-reviews?tab=details)

dad07
11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
I have a blue point brand (snap-on) and I will tell you Ive had this thing for over 20 years and it will buzz lug nuts off in a heartbeat!!!!

I use mine all the time and wouldn't trade it for anything.

the HF or northern tool ones are not as powerfull but they do work well in most cases.

hollerstiltner
11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I've used the 1/2 dewalt from lowes a lot. I can tell you I've used it to snap bolts holding the bed of a Chevy 2500 to the frame. Seems to have more power than most need. This is it: Shop DEWALT 7.5-Amp 1/2-in Corded Impact Wrench at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/pd_51056-70-DW292K_0__?productId=1091533&Ntt=electric%2Bimpact%2Bwrench)

The CE from harbor freight seems to be okay so far. Only used it to remove mower blades. It removed them easily though.

FUNX650
11-12-2012, 06:30 PM
I seems like there are two common torque rating types out there. Mind you, Im only interested in the corded ones, not the battery ones. It looks like there are ones in the 220-230 ft/lb range and ones in the 300 ft/lb range. Of course, the latter costs more. The best "reputable" 300 ft/lb one I saw was a Crafstman for $107. Come pay day, I'll think I'll pick that one up.
Craftsman Professional 1/2 in. Impact Wrench Reviews - Craftsman Community (http://community.craftsman.com/Craftsman-Professional-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench--2681-reviews?tab=details)
-Sounds like a good deal!

-Being an "electrical-tool"...I wonder about the warranty...
[Probably something like a (purchased) Sears Protection Plan, I'll wager.]

Bob

bobble
11-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Modern Electric/Cordless impact guns have come a long way. My son is a tech for a Hyundai dealer and has a cordless Snap On driver that has 800 lbs of twist. It'll break stuff loose that my old Matco 1/2 wont budge. Good thing is he gave me my Matco back once he bought that.

tuscarora dave
11-12-2012, 08:30 PM
I have a good friend who recently purchased Craftsman 1/2" and 3/8" battery impacts. He says the 1/2" took all 4 wheels off of his dually Dodge Ram repo truck, says he put all 4 wheels back on after replacing the brakes and claims there was plenty of battery left after doing all of this.

I say that's pretty darned impressive from a Craftsman battery tool costing under $100 on sale.

He says he's going to swing through the shop and put it against the Earthquake series air impacts I just bought from Harbor Freight Tools. (which by the way are completely awesome impacts)

Dirtyrango212
11-12-2012, 10:05 PM
I've used the 1/2 dewalt from lowes a lot. I can tell you I've used it to snap bolts holding the bed of a Chevy 2500 to the frame. Seems to have more power than most need. This is it: Shop DEWALT 7.5-Amp 1/2-in Corded Impact Wrench at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/pd_51056-70-DW292K_0__?productId=1091533&Ntt=electric%2Bimpact%2Bwrench)

The CE from harbor freight seems to be okay so far. Only used it to remove mower blades. It removed them easily though.

I to have this same Dewalt and I've used it more than my air snapon gun.. its never failed me yet!

neat e34
11-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Use a 18v 1/2" cordless Metabo for work (mechanic), all day every day & get 3-5 days between charges.
400Nm of torque (300 ft/lb) but pricey...
Use air too of course but the cordless is so handy that I now only use air when I'm going to get my tools covered in oil or flammable solvents.

Will be getting a cordless for home soon (albeit probably a slightly cheaper unit)
Most work done in driveway so it's worth the extra cost to me not having to pull out extension leads, etc