PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat Spray from Local Auto parts Stores?

ARizzle
11-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Hey,
anybody use these?
If so, where did you add clear coat to?

Is it best to go to a body shop and get them to spray some clear coat on the car?

ScubaCougr
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
What are you trying to do?

I've used rattle-can clear on surfaces I don't care much about...which doesn't include my car. Generally speaking body shop, or even MAACO will deliver much better results.

dougsrt
11-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Rattle can is ok for asmall spot say in a door jamb or aspot under the hood i wouldnt use it were it shows like an out side panel plus it dosnt have uv protection

Always Learning
11-11-2012, 09:28 PM
My unfortunate experience was that the "clear coat" wasn't clear at all. Perhaps not a problem depending on the color of your car.

My car being white shows very noticeable yellow where the new clear is. This clear was regular department store clear, I'm told products like PPG clear are the ones to use if you have to - BUT I cannot vouch for this so please use your discretion.

ARizzle
11-11-2012, 11:46 PM
What are you trying to do?

I've used rattle-can clear on surfaces I don't care much about...which doesn't include my car. Generally speaking body shop, or even MAACO will deliver much better results.

Well I was just curious if this is a common practice for people to add possibly "more protection" to their paint?

Anthony Onorato
11-12-2012, 01:06 AM
If that's what you're seeking, I suggest a coating such as 22PLE or Opti-Coat.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

imranhakro
11-12-2012, 01:12 AM
I live close to sea... Beach is not more than 500 meters from my home. Can i use this clear coat spray can for added protection from rust inside door jams and those areas that are hidden to normal eye but open to rust?

cmwsdw@gmail
11-12-2012, 09:52 AM
I live close to sea... Beach is not more than 500 meters from my home. Can i use this clear coat spray can for added protection from rust inside door jams and those areas that are hidden to normal eye but open to rust?

BAD idea in my opinion. At best you will have a splotchy dry spray and or orange peeled mess. More than likely its not going to bond properly with the factory paint especially in areas like where you are talking about since you can't scuff them and clean them good. It WILL peel off its just a matter of when.