PDA

View Full Version : wax applicator, foam vs MF?? Collinite 915

MinnBobber
11-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Hi,
I use my Flex 3401 for prep but prefer to hand apply wax/sealant.
I decided to use Collinite 915 Marquis D Elegance which happens to be
about 20 years old. It still looked good (not dried out at all) and still smelled
great (anybody else want to eat it as it smells like vanilla pudding?).

It was outside with temp about 50. I used a Microfiber applicator (blue MF
over sponge interior). Product was difficult to apply as thin as I like, not sure if
it was due to temp or MF hand applicator. I'm thinking it was applicator as that
surface with texture seemed tough to apply very thin coat. With thicker coat I
got dusting when removing it.
Any opinions on MF for applying wax?

Next day with car in garage, temp was more like 60 and I used Pinnacle Pad Buddy
or whatever its called, the yellow pad holder and 3.5" red foam pad. Product could be applied micro thin and came off with no dusting. Pad doesn't fit in the tin so I had to use
spoon to apply to pad (and for an occassional taste-J/K).

I had purchased a few MF applicators but probably won't use for wax anymore.

What's your experience with foam vs Microfiber applicators??

rider9195
11-11-2012, 03:19 PM
I have never used a MF applicator for my waxes just because I have always used foam and never had any problems with them.

Dr Oldz
11-11-2012, 05:47 PM
I use foam for waxes. As you said, MF applicators do not allow you to apply as thinly as you would like. The MF applicators also seem to make waxing more difficult because it doesn't glide across the paint as easily. I do like MF applicators for areas you have to hand polish and for applying interior dressings.

Johny B
11-11-2012, 06:58 PM
I use foam for waxes. As you said, MF applicators do not allow you to apply as thinly as you would like. The MF applicators also seem to make waxing more difficult because it doesn't glide across the paint as easily. I do like MF applicators for areas you have to hand polish and for applying interior dressings.

+1