PDA

View Full Version : Poorboy's polish on clearcoat

StarGazer
05-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Is Poorboy's Pro Polish the correct product from that line to remove existing wax? It's allready on order but I thought I'd check just to be sure.

Current plan of attack for new Xterra:

All Poorboy's products
Wash (not PB here - using up some stuff I have)
Pro Polish
EX-P x 2 or 3
Natty's Blue x 2 (to insure full coverage)

All on order.

Thoughts?
Pat

Neothin
05-22-2006, 02:30 PM
looks good to me!

Driven Auto Detail
05-22-2006, 02:44 PM
I have PB SSR 1,2,2.5 (I believe) and the Natty's Blue.

On my charcoal colored Mazda3 I did the following:

Wash
Dry
Clay
PB SSR2 w/PC
Klasse Sealant Glaze by hand
PB Natty's Blue by hand

While my car looked good after the sealant, it really didn't pop until I put the Natty's Blue on. I have to tell you, I'm blown away by the results of it. I purchased the Natty stuff just because it was recommended for dark paints and mine is officially called Carbon Grey Mica (metallic).

I'm truely impressed with the Natty's stuff, and the rest of the PB products I have. I'm going to throw on Mother's Top Coat tonight on top of it and snap some pics. I'll be sure to post them here when I get a chance.

ScottB
05-22-2006, 06:13 PM
any polish with abrasive qualities will remove existing wax/sealant and help to clean the paint. Still consider a pure polish and claying as possible.

BritOn2wheels
05-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Strongly recommend that you clay that new cas ASAP!
Most (if not all) new cars are transported by rail at some point en-route to the dealership, or are parked in huge lots adjacent to rail yards for long periods of time. Thus rail dust is inevitable. :(

Leave brake or rail dust on your clearcoat for long enough and you will see the results as small orange or brown spots where the clearcote is starting to fail. Especially noticiable on white or light colored cars. :mad:

Take the plunge and get yourself the new Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Kit and spend the afternoon getting all that crap off. It is the best investment in time and money you can make on a new car. ;)

Neothin
05-22-2006, 08:22 PM
*sigh...* rail dust.

i clayed all of the exterior paint on the tC the day i picked the car up. Washing the car this evening (when it was dark out and i had my two light towers set up to wash) i found some rusty paint in the area under the hatch where the struts lay down. nothing i can do about it now unfortunately :(

oh, and brit, the new poly clay from pinnacle may not be aggressive enough of a clay formula for this situation. I'd try the grey DP clay instead. it has more bite.

BritOn2wheels
05-23-2006, 06:35 AM
:iagree:
Right-on again Neothin.

If I read the product description right, the new Ultra Poly Clay is best suited for regular upkeep on well maintained finishes. So in this case he would be better suited to using the more agressive DP version.

Thanks for the heads-up. :cheers:

StarGazer
05-23-2006, 08:13 AM
No rail dust to worry about. I picked up the X in Nashville 35 miles away from the assembly plant in Smyna, Tn. I am considering clay though. I can get the Mothers kit locally. Will it pass muster for the job?

Pat

StarGazer
05-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Hope I,m not being a pest about this but this is my first real detail and I want to get it right the first time.

Took delivery of the Poorboy's prod's yesterday. Puchased the clay kit and have plan of attack as follows.

Friday after work:
Wash/clay
Poorboy's Pro Polish
1st application of EX-P

Late Saturday morning:
2nd App. of EX-P

(have a wedding to attend saturday night - OK to drive or should I let the X sit and cure and take the wifes car?)

Early sunday afternoon:
Last app of EX-P

Late monday morning:
Natty's Blue x2

All hand applied.

thoughts?

Thanks
Pat