PDA

View Full Version : Any Help Figuring Out Proper Action For This Paint Defect?

Pages : [1] 2

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-09-2012, 07:44 PM
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/scrace89/IMG_3406.jpg

It's about the size of a dime.

For your time...

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/scrace89/IMG_3431copy.jpg

Crappy iPhone pic, but first time using CG V38, followed by Hybrid V07, turned out better than expected.

RTexasF
11-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like that. Did you buy this used and that was there already? How about some more information.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-09-2012, 07:54 PM
I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like that. Did you buy this used and that was there already? How about some more information.

Yes sir. 2003 with 70k miles. I've never seen anything like it either, I did a good image search and couldn't find anything. The guy who previously owned the car only drove it 8k miles in the last 4 years, always garage kept. I have no idea how long the defect has been there.

1oldsalt
11-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Looks almost like it's rusting from underneath and pushing the paint up.

dougsrt
11-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Yes it looks like rust under the paint. Maybe a rock chip past the primer started the rust. Has the roof been repainted? If so maybe it wasnt preped right

Evan.J
11-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I agree with the rust underneth the paint.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Yes it looks like rust under the paint. Maybe a rock chip past the primer started the rust. Has the roof been repainted? If so maybe it wasnt preped right

It has not been re-painted. This defect is on the left rear quarter panel, right by the wheel well.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

dougsrt
11-10-2012, 10:40 AM
You might have to talk your body shop about repairing the rust and blending in the color they would maybe spot in the clear hope this helps

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-10-2012, 11:11 AM
You might have to talk your body shop about repairing the rust and blending in the color they would maybe spot in the clear hope this helps

Is there anyway to tell if it is 100% rust? It's hard to the touch and I tried to push on it to see if it would crack more and I don't think it will. I was kind of expecting this for rust:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/bennyfizzle/M3%20pics/may08007.jpg

It's not really bubbling, and I know the car has only been serviced at BMW, not saying that is necessarily a good thing, but...who knows.

Also, any idea if it will spread? I'm assuming it's going to cost more than I'd like to have it fixed and if it won't spread then I'll just have to live with it.

FUNX650
11-10-2012, 02:22 PM
-Take a peek on the backside of this panel for anything unusual...even some rust.

-It almost looks like someone tried to PDR and spot repair a dent/paint chip...
haphazardously at best, I'll say...if that is so.

:)

Bob

tuscarora dave
11-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Have you tried any sort of solvent like GooGone to be sure it's not just something that's on the paint such as sap or glue that can be dissolved off?

BobbyG
11-10-2012, 04:09 PM
It appears to be the same color as the paint. That said, I believe it's coming through from the inside.

Defects like this can begin with a paint chip. As rust forms it migrates under the paint then bubbles for. Unfortunately in your photo, which is quite good, I fail to see a breach in the finish....

tuscarora dave
11-10-2012, 04:25 PM
It appears to be the same color as the paint. That said, I believe it's coming through from the inside.

Defects like this can begin with a paint chip. As rust forms it migrates under the paint then bubbles for. Unfortunately in your photo, which is quite good, I fail to see a breach in the finish....
Bobby, open that image with paint or something and enlarge the image, then see if you still feel that it's rust. Just doesn't look like any rust bubble I've ever seen. Looks almost like gray glue or something when you zoom in on it.

tuscarora dave
11-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Looking again, it does kind of look like it's coming from under the paint but what throws me is that big blob of something that's right in the middle. Looks almost like foam in a can that was painted light gray.

Scrace, what do you think it is?

BobbyG
11-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Bobby, open that image with paint or something and enlarge the image, then see if you still feel that it's rust. Just doesn't look like any rust bubble I've ever seen. Looks almost like gray glue or something when you zoom in on it.

I hear what you're saying Dave but believe it or not, I've seen rust do this before.

The cleanliness of the area prior to painting is critical. If the paint doesn't adhere fully condensation will begin to form and over time it takes on a capillary action forcing it's way under the paint along the path of least resistance..

Options

Leave it alone and try to ignore it.........that would drive me buggy....:cry:
Investigate further and carefully scrape with a razor scrapper to determine if in fact it's rust from within...
Take it to a shop and they'll hit it with a sander and determine the corrective action.. :buffing: