PDA

View Full Version : AGO VS Wife/windshield

rotzilla
11-09-2012, 04:36 PM
The wife wants a new windshield for her cars 100k birthday.
The windshield has moderate road rash, rock chips, feels kinda like sandpaper.
Is there a product or trick of the trade that can be applied to the widshield to improve the visibility and fill in some of the damage?

I do not own a polishing machine, so it would have to be a wipe on wipe off treatment.

Thanks in advance......

tuscarora dave
11-09-2012, 05:31 PM
No, but there may be a forum member in your area that might polish it out for you with a rotary and a cerium oxide glass polish.

rotzilla
11-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the quick respone Dave, kinda thought that would be the case.
I have clayed it and I think its beyond the expense that it would take to repair it.

Thanks again.

Setec Astronomy
11-09-2012, 06:36 PM
I hear that windshield replacement is so cheap these days it seems not worth it to try to polish out a windshield. Of course, that's never stopped me from doing it...I'd really rather have the factory windshield than a replaced one.

Porsche Pilot
11-09-2012, 06:45 PM
I hear that windshield replacement is so cheap these days it seems not worth it to try to polish out a windshield. Of course, that's never stopped me from doing it...I'd really rather have the factory windshield than a replaced one.

I agree. Most insurance companies will give you a free one. I just ordered my new one. Factory part with no premium increases.

Sent via telepathy.

Setec Astronomy
11-09-2012, 07:52 PM
I agree. Most insurance companies will give you a free one. I just ordered my new one. Factory part with no premium increases.

Yeah, except I'd worry that it's not installed as expertly as the factory one.

Porsche Pilot
11-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah, except I'd worry that it's not installed as expertly as the factory one.

Good point. I plan on being on the installers like stink on a monkey.

Sent via telepathy.

Setec Astronomy
11-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Good point. I plan on being on the installers like stink on a monkey.

I try to never get close enough to a monkey to know what one smells like, and I try to never let anyone else work on my car.