PDA

View Full Version : New Car Paint Defect (Need Advice)

Espyone
11-09-2012, 04:02 AM
Hello all!

Please bare with me. I am going to try and explain myself best I can. First off, I do details on the weekends and would like to call myself a novice, but not a noobie with a good amount of experience. I have done a good amount of cars on the weekends the past couple of years from friends and family. Two bucket washes, foam baths, headlight restorations, clay baring, waxing, interiors, and a few compounding, and polishing with DA's. Of course, with the help with reading all of your posts and plenty of practice I feel have some good knowledge and experience on detailing.
So, thank you in advance!

Here is my the story. A friend of mine who is a girl bought a brand new Honda Accord 2012 V6 sedan pearl white. It had 3 miles on it when she drove it off the dealer lot. By the time it got to me to it had 346 miles on it. I was going to performa wash, clay, and lsp. While I was walking around the car I noticed no paint on the front passenger door at the bottom. The spot was almost a perfect square about 2 inches by 2 inches (the pictures will paint a better picture). And yes she did not notice the defect when she bought the car. :(
I also noticed some hard water spots all over the hood, roof, and trunk when I brought it under my lights in my garage. Yup, I clayed it and was smooth but water spots still there.
So polishing will have to be added after thorough inspection.
I will also recommend op 2.0 after this is all taken care of.

IMO most likely from the car sitting out where ever they stored it and then it rained. Followed by it sitting there and never got washed til who knows how long. From the car being bought in August and it was a 2012.

Pretty sure it has been sitting for a long time in a outside storage area. Which I see alot of dealership store their extra cars in a private dirt lot. BTW I am in Southern California

The spot where there was no paint had clear coat over it. Which I thought was strange. So I decided to clay the door and see what the deal was. After claying it did not come out and paint was smooth as a babies bottom. It was clear that there was no paint but clear on top. Hope that makes sense.

So I told her to take it to the dealer and that I would go with her and just help her for support and would go just in case they tried to tell her any thing that she did not understand.

We went and the service supervisor checked it out, took pictures and confirmed that it was a manufacturer defect. He told us to go to their body shop who they use for all there body work.

The body shop took the estimate and send it to the dealership and the dealership gave the estimate to Honda Corp. BTW the guy took who took the estimate was wearing a Honda shirt and seemed just to work for Honda within the body shop. Also, the body shop seemed to me to be legit. Nice body shop, large and clean. Not that this means a whole lot but it was Certified by BBB and all that good stuff. After all that they are going to fix it and re paint the whole door.

My questions are as followed and if any one know procedures in a body shop might help.

1. Should I be worried about over spray if they are just spraying the door?
2. What defects if any should I look for after the paint?
3. How long til I can clay and lsp the door?

I know it is a long one, but any information would help.

Thanks again!

1oldsalt
11-09-2012, 05:04 AM
My 2 cents-

I wouldn't worry about overspray as they will, or should, mask off the rest of the car. At this point my main concern would be their ability to match the existing paint.

Pearl is nearly impossible to match exactly. When you get the car back be sure to inspect it in different light conditions. (bright sun at different times of the day, shade, overcast sky) You would be surprised at the difference various light conditions can show. What may look great and a perfect match in bright noon light can look like a different color on a rainy overcast day like today.

Espyone
11-09-2012, 05:14 AM
That is some great advice. Will definitely use the info given.
Thanks 1oldsalt!
Are you also in Southern Cali.?

1oldsalt
11-09-2012, 05:43 AM
That is some great advice. Will definitely use the info given.
Thanks 1oldsalt!
Are you also in Southern Cali.?

Yes. Sunny SoCal...Well, most of the time.

Espyone
11-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Yeah. Except today.

Espyone
11-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Any one else have any other input on this.

BillyJack
11-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Any one else have any other input on this.

Most painters will advise that you wait 30-90 days before waxing the newly-painted area and I'd follow their advice. If you find the surface to have any roughness, you can clay anytime. I would certainly test the adjacent panels, clay if needed, and apply some wax, since the shop probably used some type of cleaner in the general area around the repaired panel.

Bill

rmagnus
11-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Any good body shop here in SoCal can computer match and blend the paint. They will not only reshoot the panel but most likely blend it into the ones on either side. This is a pretty simple fix one that shouldn't be necessary but the solution is easy.

Espyone
11-10-2012, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys for the your input. Much appreciated!