PDA

View Full Version : Clear coats / help

Pages : [1] 2

pedro_paydro
11-08-2012, 07:38 PM
hey guys, i really want to start clear coating headlights as a hobby for some extra cash. although this is why im here i want to know if clear coat can be wiped on headlights, or does it HAVE to be sprayed. i did work w the urethane method before but honestly its not something that will last. so any advices would be cool.

(i am thinking of buying polyurethane clear and a medium activator, im going with poly because it seems its more durable and wont crack as easy;also flexible)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Why would you want to clear coat plastic headlights?

pedro_paydro
11-08-2012, 08:20 PM
headlights oxidize and the clear would add the protective coat it needs after sanding. originally headlights come with some sort of coat on them but they wear off and oxidize.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Sure, but OC2.0 will blow a layer of clear out of the water no questions asked and will be permanent unlike a layer of clear that will just oxidize later on down the road. So why not polish them to a high gloss and then put on OC2.0?

pedro_paydro
11-08-2012, 08:32 PM
well honestly i dont have a buffer and all the things needed. it would cost alot to get the equipment. i read that you have to buff the headlights before applying them. what about that 'waterborne 2k method? what is it like?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-08-2012, 08:44 PM
If you have a cordless drill you can run the 3M headlight kit that you can pick up at your local auto parts store. When you have them polished out then you can apply OC2.0 and be done. Then when you run out of polish from the kit you can substitute Ultimate Compound. This way you dont have to get a buffer right away. Besides a DA dosen't have the power to buff out headlights IMO.

pedro_paydro
11-08-2012, 08:50 PM
well i've thought about it and honestly the clear coat method seems so fast and easy to do, easy to get, and with a 3 years warranty on it most ppl would pay for a 6-70 restoration. most wont even believe a life time warranty and will take it as a jk. besides i wont be alive neither will they. so what do you think if im going with the clear coat? p.s thanks for the info man.

Dougw4355
11-08-2012, 08:54 PM
If you dont have all the correct equipment then why In the world would you want to charge people money to perform a service. Not trying to criticize you but It would seem if you were going into some form of business venture be it big or small you would at least have some what of an understanding of the procedures and products used. Asking about clear coat on headlights is a good indication your not totally in the right ball park

pedro_paydro
11-08-2012, 08:58 PM
i dont have the equipment, but doesnt mean i cant buy them. what is there that i dont understand about clear coats? i was only asking if auto clear can be wiped or not. it would save me for having to buy a gun compressor and that sort of things. btw the procedures would be the same for any headlight needing a new coat of uv coating.

david11g35
11-08-2012, 08:59 PM
If you have a cordless drill you can run the 3M headlight kit that you can pick up at your local auto parts store. When you have them polished out then you can apply OC2.0 and be done. Then when you run out of polish from the kit you can substitute Ultimate Compound. This way you dont have to get a buffer right away. Besides a DA dosen't have the power to buff out headlights IMO.

I had pretty good success with a DA and a surbuf pad to buff out the lights. Not as fast as a rotary but it works.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/50813-first-headlight-restoration.html

pedro_paydro
11-08-2012, 09:03 PM
hey dave, yes thats a very common method to clearing up headlights but its not a long term method. many like me would like to just do it once and not have to go back every other week. btw u got a nice finish and those headlights were deff cloudy!

david11g35
11-08-2012, 09:05 PM
hey dave, yes thats a very common method to clearing up headlights but its not a long term method. many like me would like to just do it once and not have to go back every other week. btw u got a nice finish and those headlights were deff cloudy!

The lights still look good. I ended up opti-coating them a few weeks later

pedro_paydro
11-08-2012, 09:06 PM
how hard would it be to get it and how easily is it to apply it? what is opticoat anyways?

Dougw4355
11-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating FREE BONUS (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autogeek.net%2Foptim um-opti-coat.html)

pedro_paydro
11-08-2012, 09:10 PM
thank you doug, but whats the purpose for buffing, does the opticoat not hide the fine sand scratches?