PDA

View Full Version : Best Choices for high longevity Trim Protectant

Pages : [1] 2 3

MarkD51
11-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm wondering what would be my best options for a Universal Trim Protectant-Sealant, that will last a very long time, something that is preferably a WOWA type, will give a great gloss, and will also sort of act as a restoration product for vinyl parts that have seen slightly better days?

In particular, this product will be mainly used on my own vehicle, the 1997 Tahoe LT, but of course may see use in other personal applications, and pet detailing projects.

For my Tahoe, one Trim Piece that has taken a beating over the years is the Windshield Wiper Cowl. It is a PITA due to it being finned Black Plastic. Other Areas are the Black Side Moldings, Door Handles, Step Bumper Pads, and Wrap-Around Black Bumper Trim.

I had the Cowl off a few months ago, tried cleaning it up to give it some new life, but it didn't take too long to sort of revert back to its old self.

I've done some research, both at the AG Store, and through the Archives, and come up with some peoducts. Sadly, none are exactly cheap, but reckon if I want the best results, to use the best products that have little to no peer, that's the trade off I'm afraid.

Candidates seem to be: 1. Optimum Opti-Coat. 2. GTechniq G-4, or EXO. 3. Optimum Opti-Seal. 4. Ultima Tire&Trim Guard. 5. Wolfgang Trim Sealant.

Also, if anyone feels that perhaps the choice of two or more such products should be in one's arsenal for various reasons, please do feel free to comment.

(I have thought of one other option, replace the entire Wiper Cowl, with parts from somebody like LMC Truck, then treat those parts before re-installation?)

TIA Folks! Mark

KneeDragr
11-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Id go with the OptiCoat.

rider9195
11-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I would throw CarPro DLux in there as well. I am currently testing it out to see how the durability is on it.

ScottB
11-08-2012, 06:31 PM
G-techniq is very long lasting from what I hear ...

hoyt66
11-08-2012, 07:19 PM
I have been using WG trim sealant on my dd and it is holding up extremely well.

Success
11-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Collinite 845 :D

Johny B
11-08-2012, 07:29 PM
I have been using WG trim sealant on my dd and it is holding up extremely well.

+1:dblthumb2:

IID
11-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm wondering what would be my best options for a Universal Trim Protectant-Sealant, that will last a very long time, something that is preferably a WOWA type, will give a great gloss, and will also sort of act as a restoration product for vinyl parts that have seen slightly better days?

In particular, this product will be mainly used on my own vehicle, the 1997 Tahoe LT, but of course may see use in other personal applications, and pet detailing projects.

For my Tahoe, one Trim Piece that has taken a beating over the years is the Windshield Wiper Cowl. It is a PITA due to it being finned Black Plastic. Other Areas are the Black Side Moldings, Door Handles, Step Bumper Pads, and Wrap-Around Black Bumper Trim.

I had the Cowl off a few months ago, tried cleaning it up to give it some new life, but it didn't take too long to sort of revert back to its old self.

I've done some research, both at the AG Store, and through the Archives, and come up with some peoducts. Sadly, none are exactly cheap, but reckon if I want the best results, to use the best products that have little to no peer, that's the trade off I'm afraid.

Candidates seem to be: 1. Optimum Opti-Coat. 2. GTechniq G-4, or EXO. 3. Optimum Opti-Seal. 4. Ultima Tire&Trim Guard. 5. Wolfgang Trim Sealant.

Also, if anyone feels that perhaps the choice of two or more such products should be in one's arsenal for various reasons, please do feel free to comment.

(I have thought of one other option, replace the entire Wiper Cowl, with parts from somebody like LMC Truck, then treat those parts before re-installation?)

TIA Folks! Mark

I think you ment to say/type GTechniq C4(trim restorer) and not GTechniq G4(glass polish).
The products that I personally found that work excellent for trim protectant are indeed C4 as well as CarPro's DLux :xyxthumbs:

Rsurfer
11-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Since your trim is not in good condition, prep with a water spot remover before applying any dressing. If the surface was in good or fair condition you could get by with an APC cleaning followed by an IPA wipe down. Applying a dressing to plastic is no different then applying a sealant/coating to paint. A clean surface is mandatory. I have C4 on my wiper cowl for 2 years now and my car is parked outside 24/7. If you want something to darken your plastic I would use Solution Finish which is a dye.

MarkD51
11-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Thank you folks for your advice.

The Windshield Cowl on this particular vehicle is actually the most personally unliked part on the entire vehicle, it is horrid, and whomever designed this part really dropped the ball horribly.

In fact I have seen smooth aftermarket custom replacement Cowls, and this might be another option to a better look, and better ease of care-upkeep?

It not only has fins, but also in between the fins it has a waffle-like texture in the plastic. This makes it frustrating, and virtually impossible to use products such as WOWO Collinite 845, or any other Wax type product, so that is essentially out.

Success
11-08-2012, 08:58 PM
i have a similar cowl on my silverado and i use 845... tedious but looks great and repels h2o well

MarkD51
11-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks folks, I truly appreciate your advice, experience, and the great commaderie amongst all you great folks, thank you!

At this point in time, I'm actually unsure what I want to do? To either try restoring this stock part in some way, or to perhaps just part with the money (About $130 plus shipping from LMC Truck) and spring for a new part?

Without a doubt, father time takes it's toll, and wish it was that simple, that I could swap out a few parts on this old body! (Myself!)

I had replaced quite a few parts that the desert sun really beat the hell out of here the past 9 years. All new headlights, and respective lights, lenses up front that were stock looking replacements, and some slight custom tail light housings. Nothing gaudy, they look like what comes on new Tahoes, and Dodge Pickups.

All new Wiper Arm replacements, and blades front and back a few months ago as well, those were toast.

Other parts like side trim cladding, and the step bumpers were a bit easier to maintain.

There's still much to be learned in this thread by myself, so please don't be discouraged to post, because I'm thinking of other options.

I'm still thinking such products as Opti-Coat, or some others will still be seriously considered to have in my detailing arsenal for the truck, and for other projects. Without a doubt, they will be gotten from AG at some point!

While they may seem initially expensive, I have to wonder how much money (and time) I threw down the drain over the past 30 or so years on OTC products that do not last, and do more damage than good (Armor All for instance).
Mark

MarkD51
11-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Some more thoughts about these Vinyl Sealants, and Protectants I have, are this:

I'm sure every one of us have gone down "The Armor All Road", and the many other similar type products at some point in time. And as I'm concluding, what a horrible waste of one's money to get short lived results, as well as inferior, and actual "damaging" protection to such parts.

That it is false economy to use such products, and that while many of these products that have been discussed in this thread might appear initially expensive, and of course we all like saving some money, that one actually threw their money down the toilet with most of these off the shelf lesser products.

Still, with that said, (and I hope I am not being seen as slamming any one product, and although I've never used products like the Wolfgang Trim Sealant, I'm certain they are superior in every way to the old fashioned Silicone Based Products.

Economically thinking, my one concern is with the Wolfgang Sealant, is how far will 4 oz go? That again, will such be a best product per dollar spent, or will such monies be better spent on a product such as Optimum Opti-Coat, in that per Vial, that this product would go much further, perhaps last even longer, and will be a wiser "economical choice", versus many other products?

Although Opti-Coat may be more expensive, am I correct in thinking that as far as solely using this product as a Trim Sealant-Protectant, that it will go much further than a 4oz, or even 8oz supply of Wolfgang?

That one Vial of Opti-Coat would then be able to treat the trim on more than just one vehicle, and for more than one singular application?

I think I'll read up some more about Opti-Coat for one, gatherng some more knowledge of what may be the best option of longevity versus costs, and all the other qualities, such as ease of use, and using my money in the most "economical", and wise way. Mark

KillaCam
11-09-2012, 11:47 AM
I heard duragloss #531 is some pretty long lasting stuff on trim. I'm going to pick that up next. Check out corey's review.

MarkD51
11-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I heard duragloss #531 is some pretty long lasting stuff on trim. I'm going to pick that up next. Check out corey's review.

Thank you KillaCam, I will look into the Duragloss products also. Seems many of their products are a bit more reasonably-sanely priced as well.

For foks who have auto detail businesses , such product costs surely add up, and that often, buying in bulk quantities makes good common sense for such people.
Thanks again, Mark