PDA

View Full Version : No clear

Excessive Detail
05-22-2006, 01:13 PM
I just recently detailed my friends red Evo and I was realized it had no clear on it. I had never done on without clear and I was unsure onb what to do so I just played like it had a clear. I used xmt 3 and a light cutting pad. It got all of the oxidation and water spots out, put I didn't try to get the swirls out because I wasn't sure how it worked on cars without clear. Is there any thing to know about doing cars without clear? Also, I need to get some more swirl removers and I wanted to know what you think I should get. I use poorboys alot, but I was wondering abou using optimum or menzerna. What do you think works the best?
Thanks

Neothin
05-22-2006, 02:29 PM
out of those mentioned, menzerna and Poorboy's are the ones that i would most likle use when using a PC. they break down easily and leave a nice finish.

treat single stage paint just like you would a dual stage paint. the only difference is that you can actually see the paint your removing as you polish a single stage (aka the pad turns the color of the car) vs not being able to see it with a dual stage paint (because what your removing is transparent).

Surfer
05-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Just curious but why would cars from some companies not use a clear coat? Doesn't Toyota not use clear coats as well, think they have single or dual stage paint if I recall?

Neothin
05-22-2006, 03:40 PM
scion (a sub company of toyota) has a clearcoated finish. honda is the big company out there that doesnt use clear.

single stage paints are alot easier to bring back to good condition when they get bad. just slap on a heavy chemical cleaner on a light cutting pad and it will rip right through some bad oxidation and be back to factory fresh.

MikeyC
05-22-2006, 04:51 PM
I've seen many debates on various detailing boards about which cars have clear coats and which cars have single stage paint. I've also heard that some cars have tinted clear coats. So, when you're pulling color it's actually tinted clear coat and not base coat or single stage paint. Personally, it's all paint to me. ;) The only thing you really have to worry about with SS paint as opposed to CC paint is "zebra stripes." These are stripes of uneven shading in the paint which result from uneven buffing.

Excessive Detail
05-23-2006, 12:12 AM
treat single stage paint just like you would a dual stage paint. the only difference is that you can actually see the paint your removing as you polish a single stage (aka the pad turns the color of the car) vs not being able to see it with a dual stage paint (because what your removing is transparent).[/quote]

I did notice that the oxidation was very easy to get out. Is their any risk with using say a cutting pad with a strong swirl remover? Is clear usually thicker than paint or are they the same? I was worried that I might take of to much paint.

SpoiledMan
05-23-2006, 12:19 AM
honda is the big company out there that doesnt use clear.

Where does this bit of info come from?

JeffW
05-23-2006, 07:50 AM
honda is the big company out there that doesnt use clear.

Neothin - I'm not so sure this is correct, or maybe not entirely correct. My 05 Honda Civic has, per Honda America and the dealer, water spots in, or under, the clearcoat. In my 2 or 3 conversations with Honda America it was never mentioned that there was not a clearcoat.

How can one tell anyway whether there is a clearcoat?

JeffW

MikeyC
05-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Neothin - I'm not so sure this is correct, or maybe not entirely correct. My 05 Honda Civic has, per Honda America and the dealer, water spots in, or under, the clearcoat. In my 2 or 3 conversations with Honda America it was never mentioned that there was not a clearcoat.

How can one tell anyway whether there is a clearcoat?

JeffW

:iagree: I've owned two Hondas and both had clear coats. Every time I hear about a car possibly having single stage paint or a tinted clear coat it's always either a Lexus or a Toyota. Usually, the car is either red or black too.

BlackRocks
05-23-2006, 08:20 AM
Typically, tinted clearcoat cars have an additional paint option cost to them. GM is doing this with a few colors on the Corvettes and I have heard of other brands as well. I'm not sure about Lexus's paint job at the factory, but I can say that the few I have looked at real well seem to be some of the better factory paint jobs out there.

If a modern vehicle is using a single stage paint, I am skepticle, does anyone know what the paint thickness would be? I would guess it is going to be 1.5 to 2 mils.....

Todd

SpoiledMan
05-23-2006, 08:46 AM
From my experience there has only been a couple SS Honda's in recent years(about 15). There was a white color and the yellow Integra Type-R's. Milano Red cars were 3 stage paint and had a tinted clear coat that oxidizes and you can pull color from when polishing. I've owned a few Honda's(and Acura's) and none of them were without CC. I have polished many more and none of them were without CC.

The easiest way to tell if the paint is SS(or tinted clear) is by using any product that is abrasive or a chemical cleaner. You will pull some color from the paint. My sister has one of those "tinted" CC IS's that seems to always be in debate.;)