PDA

View Full Version : How to seal glass on new car?

eyost
11-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi all,

First I want to thank all for the help I have received in past postings - everyone has been patient and very helpful for this newbie who has just gotten started into detailing; I have learned quite a bit!

I have a ten month old car and am wondering if there is a sealant for glass to protect it from the wear and tear that windshield wipers can give it over time? If so - any recommendations?
Thanks,

Ed

rider9195
11-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Ed,

The one product that comes to mind is Gtechniq G1. It will protect your windshield and keep it cleaner longer. I would definitely look into this product.

Rsurfer
11-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Ed,

The one product that comes to mind is Gtechniq G1. It will protect your windshield and keep it cleaner longer. I would definitely look into this product.
:iagree:G5 also works great. Easier to apply than G1, but won't last as long. G5 will shed water faster at lower speeds (40mph) than G1.

eyost
11-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Great - I'll check into that. Along with making it easier to clean and shed water, I also want to try to protect the windshield from the hideous windshield wiper wear marks that can occur as time goes by. My wife has this on her ten year old vehicle and I am looking to try to remove those. I have an example of these marks on another post.

Thanks again,

Ed

BobbyG
11-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Hey Ed,

I've tried several glass sealants over the past few years and some naturally work better than others. I've tried Aquapel, Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass, and Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant.

Aquapel

Aquapel is very easy to use and since it's applied with a 6" long applicator full and complete coverage is quick and easy. The applicator includes enough product to do the windshield, side windows, and in some cases enough to seal the rear glass.

The durability of Aquapel is 5 to 6 months through a long hard New England winter. The cost is about $6.00 so it's very economical as well.

Gtechniq

Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass is another glass sealant and instead of using a specially designed applicator it uses round makeup pads found at most drug or department stores.

Applying Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass takes longer due to the small applicator and its directions indicate it should be applied twice to ensure complete coverage.

The kit includes a residue cleaner which amount to Isopropyl Alcohol and after the product dries for about 15 minutes it must be used to clear any haze.

While Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass does work I was surprised there wasn't more rain or water repellency while stopped or at slow speeds. The durability has yet to be determined but it has been on my truck for about 1 month and it's still working...

Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass is not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination. The smaller offering is only 15ml but there is enough to coat several windshields. Cost - $17.99

Pinnacle

Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant is among the latest offerings from Pinnacle. It's easy to use and is applied using a foam or microfiber pad. Apply in a circular or straight back and forth motion.

Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant takes about 15 minutes or so to dry then buff off any residue with a clean microfiber towel to a crystal clear shine.

Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant comes in a 16 ounce bottle and this is enough to do quite a few cars and trucks several times and cost $19.99. While the most expensive of the three it's the most economical due to the quantity provided.

Durability is still unknown but it repels rain and water very well even standing still....

Darvetis
11-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I've been pleased with Aquapel so far, it's been on my windshield for a few months now. However, I wasn't able to get as much coverage as BobbyG did. One applicator supplied enough product to coat my Toyota windshield, no more...

eyost
11-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks Bobby for the outline of available products. I have two packages of Aquapel and purchased it on the request to get something to shed water. In further thinking, and seeing what can happen to a windshield after years of the wipers moving across from them I was wondering if there may be something that would protect the windshield from the etching or marring that the wipers can do.

BobbyG
11-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Ed,

One key to success in using any of these products is to thoroughly clean the glass prior to applying a sealant or protectant. Pinnacle GlassWork Water Spot Remover works well when applied with a Porter Cable 7424 style dual action polisher and a light cutting pad.

Once the glass is "squeaky" clean then apply a glass sealant for maximum performance and protection. Sealants also quiet noisy wipers and eliminate the occasional chattering...

Autogeek offers several glass care products to help your glass stay crystal clear...:props:

Clean your car windshield and windows to a streak-free shine with a quality auto glass cleaner from Autogeek! Ammonia-free, no streaks, DP Krystal (http://www.autogeek.net/glasscare.html)

eyost
11-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Ed,

One key to success in using any of these products is to thoroughly clean the glass prior to applying a sealant or protectant. Pinnacle GlassWork Water Spot Remover works well when applied with a Porter Cable 7424 style dual action polisher and a light cutting pad.

Once the glass is "squeaky" clean then apply a glass sealant for maximum performance and protection. Sealants also quiet noisy wipers and eliminate the occasional chattering...

Autogeek offers several glass care products to help your glass stay crystal clear...:props:

Clean your car windshield and windows to a streak-free shine with a quality auto glass cleaner from Autogeek! Ammonia-free, no streaks, DP Krystal (http://www.autogeek.net/glasscare.html)

Bobby,

Thanks. I have been simply cleaning the windows with Diamondite Perfect Vision spray but will need to ensure that the glass is completely clean just like treating the paint before sealing. I have an order coming that has some CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish with it. I was planning on using the glass polish on my wife's car that has wear marks on her windshield from the wipers. Thoughts on using that to get the windshield on the newer car squeaky clean before applying the sealant or is it to harsh for a windshield in excellent shape. I imagine I could also clay the windshield as well.

Ed

ScottB
11-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Dp Glass Restorer to clean and prep, Aquapel to protect. SIMPLE !

eyost
11-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Dp Glass Restorer to clean and prep, Aquapel to protect. SIMPLE !

I like simple. Thanks

:dblthumb2:

y8s
11-06-2012, 08:36 PM
I recently picked up Ceriglass and the G1 to try on my two daily drivers. Looking forward to awesome results.

Car #1 is an 8 month old 2012 model
Car #2 is a 1998 model and the one that will get the ceriglass treatment with the DA and a gentle pad.