PDA

View Full Version : Product life span

Mike T
11-05-2012, 09:37 PM
At what point has a product sat to long to be effective anymore? Sealants, waxes, polishes, etc?

I hardly get to detail anymore, and I still have so much product from several years now.

MinnBobber
11-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi,
you don't face this in FL but here in MN, below freezing temps really seem to kill product.
Otherwise they seem to last "forever" when stored in the basement so constant temp and
little sunlight to break them down.

I still have some Slip-Stream Aircraft wax that has to be 40 years old LOL.

I would assume that high heat like a FL garage/shed would also not be great for
product longevity.

VISITOR
11-06-2012, 05:40 AM
the usual life span of liquid products is 3-5 years though they can last longer (or go bad sooner) as long as it's stored in room temperature away from extreme heat/cold. giving your products a good shake once every few weeks or once a month won't hurt either...

BobbyG
11-06-2012, 05:54 AM
Freezing rather than heat seems to be the demon of detailing products. 95% of all the products that touch the finish are now in my basement where the temp is 55F or higher.

I've never lost a product due to age, only freezing....

Mike T
11-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have autogeek product as old as 4-5 years old that I haven't used in awhile. some of my polishes have changed color, and I worry that some of the sealants lose their strength.

01GreyStangGT
11-06-2012, 06:28 PM
I have a bottle of Meguiars Medallion sealant that is 7 years old and still works. It, with my other paint products is in my basement.