PDA

View Full Version : Was my price to high? help

Pages : [1] 2

david11g35
11-05-2012, 07:42 PM
I had posted this dilema in my original post but didnt get any feedback. Hopefully someone can help me out.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/57091-2009-acura-tl-intetior-60-pictures.html

So I had posted this work on my facebook page. I got a message from an aquiantance not even a friend he asked me the price for an interior like this,I told him $85 for an interior like this but I would have to see it in person. He replied that it was too much and I was trying to rip him off. I told him the whole process of the interior and still said it was high. I do this on the side and I like to think I do good work this is the first time anyone has complained about the price. There is no one near my area that I am aware of that I can really compare prices with

Do you think the price I gave him was high?
If so what would be a fair price?

I'm trying to be fair with my prices. Now I kinda lost on what to charge

Feedback highly appreciated

rustytruck
11-05-2012, 07:53 PM
It is cheaper than what I charge for an interior, and I have no trouble getting my price. So I think your price was fair.

M0nk3y
11-05-2012, 07:54 PM
The price was fair. The guy is trying to negotiate you down.

Stay firm and explain your processes and im sure he'll give

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

EddieF
11-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Hell no. I saw that post, that was a lot of work and it was quality. I told my neighbor i would do his civic inside and out, compound, polish, wax, the whole 9 for $130. He told me it was to much. Some people have no idea.

neat e34
11-05-2012, 08:00 PM
IMO for an interior like that Acura your price is totally fair.
However I'm from Australia so not familiar with prices over there...

People will always try to talk your price down, in any trade/field, as they either don't understand how much work & effort is involved, or just think they can get a better price by complaining.
Make sure you are happy with what youcharge & it is worth your time.
It's important to charge fairly & keep customers happy but you have to be happy as well.

Just remember you'll never please everybody

Bill1234
11-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Remember that this interior was bad and you should move up or down depending on how bad it is. This guy is nuts to think 90 is too much for a full interior detail and dressing

Impressions
11-05-2012, 08:05 PM
If his interior was anything like the pics of your friends car than $85 is a awesome deal!
You didn't mention what kind of car he had so it's hard to say if it was a deal or not
I'm sure $85 is a fair price, figure how many hours it will take you and how much per hour your willing to let your expertise go for, don't forget you have products and special equipment you use that he may not have access too
Don't beat yourself up over it, he can go to the local swirlomatic and get a crap job!

TrKent
11-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I recently did a 50 hour detail on a F350. Spent around 15 hours on the interior which is $450 at my current rate. Quality costs. I can run down to the local volume car wash and get a "full" interior/exterior for $250 but it wouldn't quite be the same, would it?

Transmitted from my WiFi-enabled telegraph.

mikep288
11-05-2012, 08:30 PM
If this guy is already trying to play let's make a deal make sure you put any and everything in writing before committing to doing anything for him. Your price is more than fair. That Acura looked like it had been stored in a coal mine and your turn-around on it was excellent. As said above, quality costs. If he doesn't want to pay what your time is worth, he can pay for and get much less.

Flash Gordon
11-05-2012, 08:44 PM
I know a Los Angeles detailer that charges that much for every hour of everyday. Your price was very reasonable IMO

Tell him to take it down the road...

habeba86
11-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Where I live that interior is bad but not terrible. I think your price is fair, but I would probably say 75 and maybe go down just a bit. I try to keep my interior price at $20 per hour as I dont have an extractor.

Eandras
11-05-2012, 08:59 PM
If the guy told you that you are ripping him off he is not a customer that you would want to deal with.

Ed

NIS240SHU
11-05-2012, 09:10 PM
+1 to Ed's post. Most people like that will just be trouble. They might pay, but they'll be kicking and screaming all the way.

ShaunD
11-05-2012, 09:33 PM
I have been reading Tennyson Doyle's book; which I wish I had two years ago, and he makes the point that you have make what you're worth/need and not give your services away for free. I would say in your market in your part of the country that $25 per hour is very acceptable even if you are just detailing on the side.
You need to really look at your cost per detail and what income you are trying to make and set your prices from there. If someone is happy with your quote then they can go elsewhere or try to get the same results themselves.
You could ask the guy what he was expecting to pay and only give him that much service. Then when he's not happy with the results you can tell him he got what he paid for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

david11g35
11-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback/advice. I feel much better about my price now