PDA

View Full Version : Autogeeks/Computer Geeks - Help!

Pages : [1] 2

Bates Detailing
11-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Hey guys - wanted to make my computer run faster so I decided to buy an 8gb flash and transfer all B & B pics and vids to it...... then delete them off my computer. Well - I dragged them to the flash, they disappeared from desktop (folders and all) and now I can't see them in the Flash Drive! All my pics! All my Vids! Are they gone?!?!?!?

Bates Detailing
11-03-2012, 09:13 PM
OK - Im no computer wiz.... 43 views so far and no advice?!?!? Any advice or knowledge - I would appreciate it! Getting worried here :/

Johny B
11-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Have you tried to restart your computer?

Johny

tuscarora dave
11-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Have you looked in the recycle bin for them? Are you going to start menu>computer>removable disk (J) with the flash drive inserted? You know you have to properly eject the flash drive before pulling it out on some computers or you can loose the content?

master detailer
11-03-2012, 09:45 PM
take your comp and set it back to the day before you did this and it will restore all your stuff

Bates Detailing
11-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Have you tried to restart your computer?

Johny

No sir - Im scared lol!

Have you looked in the recycle bin for them? Also there should be 2 locations to look in when you go into the removable storage drive to look for them. Are you looking in both locations?

I did look in recycle bin - thats a negative. The removable storage drive offers a few folders to look in - pics, docs, vids, etc. but a very little actually ended up in the area that says "recently changed"????????

Johny B
11-03-2012, 09:48 PM
take your comp and set it back to the day before you did this and it will restore all your stuff

+10
Johny

tuscarora dave
11-03-2012, 09:53 PM
^^^Here you go^^^... do you know how to do a system restore?

RedXray
11-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Right Click Desktop > Refresh...

Remove USB Drive > Re-Plug USB

Search .JPG .JPEG .AVI .WMV file extensions for the "lost folder"

Bates Detailing
11-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I think I have found the issue - I think lol! Thanx for the replies - I was and still am sort of freaking out..... but calming down now. 2 and a half years of raw pics and videos out the window instantly is a scarey thought. Thanx for all your help guys, and I will see in the morning what transpires!

Hoytman
11-03-2012, 10:39 PM
System restore should work for you,Anthony. Hope it does anyway. That would be terrible man.

dsigmon
11-03-2012, 10:54 PM
When did you do your last backup?

You do backup don't you?

I don't believe System Restore will work. It restores system files not user created files.

Direct quote from Win 7 help files: System Restore isn't intended for backing up personal files, so it cannot help you recover a personal file that has been deleted or damaged.

AutowerxDetailing
11-03-2012, 11:26 PM
When did you do your last backup?

You do backup don't you?

I don't believe System Restore will work. It restores system files not user created files.

Direct quote from Win 7 help files: System Restore isn't intended for backing up personal files, so it cannot help you recover a personal file that has been deleted or damaged.

This is correct. System Restore backs up and restores the Registry, important Windows files, and the programs you've installed into Windows. It has no effect whatsoever on documents, photos, and so forth.

With that being said there is still a very good chance that your files are still somewhere on your system. When you move or delete a file the original "content" of the file isn't actually deleted until it is overwritten by something else. All Windows does is remove the "link" to the file on your hard drive.

Recuva is a good file recovery program that is free to download and use. We use it at work sometimes for clients who run into similar problems with missing files due to viruses. Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download (http://www.piriform.com/recuva)

Bates Detailing
11-03-2012, 11:35 PM
You guys are all awesome - thank you very much and I will attempt to recover the past few years of work lol..... very frustrating, but AGians to the rescue! Thanks again guys :dblthumb2:

Reddwarf
11-04-2012, 08:07 AM
I hope you have solved the problem! IMO long term storage of the files on a Flash USB stick would not be my choice. Likely it would be fine, but if they are really important I would get an external hard drive. And back up! There are many options for backing up including some free online tools.

To speed up your computer the cheapest way to improve it to add more RAM. You may not be able to do that. You can check by going to crucial.com they have a free tool that will scan your computer and let you know what RAM you have and suggest what you can do to increase it.