PDA

View Full Version : Wax vs Sealant question - and how they work with QD?

ShineMyCar
11-03-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm trying to understand an issue with Quick Dealers & Microfiber towels that has me in a quandry.

My Winder prep was Klasse Twins followed by Collinite 915

My experience through the steps was the Klasse after final sealcoat had the candy coat which was o.k. but lacked the depth of color showing through the shine. But, the finish itself was a super slick hardened coat over the paint.

When I applied the Collinite, the color depth showed through the shine, and I really liked the top coat. But the surface itself was smoothe but had a little tack to it. Smoothe no doubt, but compared to the Klasse SG top coat, it wasn't as slick. Love the look though.

Now, the issue that I'm trying to understand better. When I use my QD ( tried both ONR, and McGuiar's MG 34), Wiping with premium MF towels ( tried all 3 Cobra VIP ), I either get a streaky leave behind the wipe... or, if I buff til completely dry, the MF towel really wants to grip the top coat of Collinite.

The QD finish dries fine if I leave a slight wet streak after wipe, so the streaks aren't something that dries streaky, but I'd like to know if I'm doing things correctly

... OR...

If I might benefit from putting a final Sealant on top of the collinite to get a harder Final coat for a slicker finish. Perhaps this would allow me to buff the finish to completely dry with less tack of the MF towel to the finish??

Thanks

silverfox
11-03-2012, 09:49 AM
A sealant applied on top of collinite is a wasted effort. I suggest you try topping collinite with something other than detail spray or else you will be wiping off the collinite if you are experiencing a grabby surface.

I love Meg's ultimate quick wax which works great over waxes or sealants and can be purchased just about anywhere for under $10. Duragloss aqua wax would work also.

cmichael258
11-03-2012, 10:28 AM
I haven't experienced that problem with 845. I use FK 425 and spray it directly on a microfiber towel, wipe it on, then follow up by buffing with a clean towel.

ShineMyCar
11-03-2012, 11:32 AM
I haven't experienced that problem with 845. I use FK 425 and spray it directly on a microfiber towel, wipe it on, then follow up by buffing with a clean towel.

I've been spraying the QD on the panel and wiping with a dry MF towel. Is it preferable to spray on towel and wiping moistened MF towel onto panel?