PDA

View Full Version : How to get Collinite 476 out of can?

Pages : [1] 2

anarchy
11-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on this. Going to apply tomorrow using my PC and just figured it would be easier to wipe it onto pad if I could get it out. Thanks guys.

Devin

Johny B
11-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Hi Devin,

This may help you Pinnacle Souveran Paste Carnauba Wax is Brilliant on Red- Awesome on Black! Souvern is hand poured, one container at a time, and boxed with an (http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html) (bottom of the page)

Johny

Hoytman
11-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi Devin,

This may help you Pinnacle Souveran Paste Carnauba Wax is Brilliant on Red- Awesome on Black! Souvern is hand poured, one container at a time, and boxed with an (http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html) (bottom of the page)

Johny

That won't work for 476 because the can has a lip that prevents the wax from sliding out of the can.

Devin, you'll have to use a butter knife, or the bottom of your backing plate wrench and just spread the wax around on the pad with one of those. A small puddy knife would work as well.

Eandras
11-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Does 476 come out of the can like that? It has an overlap into the can

anarchy
11-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Kind of what I figured guys. Last time I just used a putty knife to spread on the pad. JUst wondered if it was possible to get it out.

Ron Atchison
11-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I don't think so with the old style can the putty knife is your best option.

Hoytman
11-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Kind of what I figured guys. Last time I just used a putty knife to spread on the pad. JUst wondered if it was possible to get it out.

I think it may be possible to remove the wax from the Collonite can, but it would require cutting the bottom of the can off. You would need to find a snap over lid like those on tubs of butter, sour cream, small coffee cans, etc., and you would need to make sure that lid fits well.

Somewhere I seen a tool that cuts cans of soup on the outside of the cans instead of from the top-inside like conventional can openers. If you could find one of those tools and a lid that would then fit the can of wax snugly once the bottom of the wax can is removed, then it should be possible to remove the entire hunk of wax from the can so you can then wipe te wax on the pad just like Mr. Phillips does with the Souveren paste wax.

Hey...it's an idea that I've considered, but never have tried. You might give it a shot. It may work great for you.

Ron Atchison
11-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Hoytman I have a can opener like your talking about but at the moment I'm not home to see if it would work. I do know that it holds the can from the lip, so if the 476 can(have three but can't look at those either for the same reason) doesn't have the typical vegetable can lip on it the can opener won't hold it to cut the outside of the can. Which I don't think it does. If I remember correctly it's smooth.

Shakabruddah808
11-03-2012, 01:18 AM
I read somewhere (I think this forum) that some guys use the back of a spoon to apply to the applicator pad. Supposed to go on evenly and thinly.

Hope this helps.

:xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
11-03-2012, 05:48 AM
Any type of a scraper will suffice.

What you're trying to do is scrape a small amount from the can then dab it on the pad. Don't worry if it seems a bit chunky, once you switch on the machine the motion of the pad combined with a little friction smooths everything out...:props:

BillyJack
11-03-2012, 06:40 AM
I've just done 476 on my DD for winter. Previously I used an old credit card to scrape off a bit of product and spread it on the pad. This time, I got a few Meg's 4" pads, which fit perfectly in the can and work great. A couple twists of the can over the pad puts on just enough to do a panel and the smaller pad gets into corners an tight areas better. You still need the credit card from time to time to level out the product in the can.

Bill

sshinn1
11-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Best tip I,ve got (from someone on this forum, can't remember who) is a plastic butter knife - smooth out the serrated edge with a piece of sand paper and it works great:xyxthumbs:

MarkD51
11-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Sure would be nice if Collinite changed their packaging a bit. As long as the product inside doesn't change.

Flip top Caps for the Bottles, and a straight wall Can which has a screw on lid.

I've seen Carnauba Pastes with a simple slip on lid, and I would think the wax might have a tendency to dry as time passes.

One other alternative, might be perhaps to transfer the paste into another can by way of melting down with a double boiler?

The of course is akin to playing mad scientist, can be dangerous placing such a product anywhere near a flame, or a heat gun.

It can be done though. I once did the double boiler method with an old can of 476, as the wax was all up the sides of the can as the can was getting low. The trick worked, didn't seem to hurt the wax, but it did sure make a mess of the pot. Thankfully, it was an old pot, and after, had to be chucked in the garbage, as it was virtually impossible to get the wax off the inside of the pot.

The smooth knife trick seems safest to me for the time being.

Or the possibility of one of those newfangled can openers that cut the outside of can edge like someone else mentioned? As long as no metal shavings are introduced, then it would be easy to transfer into some other suitable vessel-can. Mark

anarchy
11-03-2012, 09:25 AM
At the very least Im happy to see that Im not the only one that has this issue with the packaging. Going to try 476 with 845 over it for Winter.

Ron Atchison
11-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Sure would be nice if Collinite changed their packaging a bit. As long as the product inside doesn't change.

Flip top Caps for the Bottles, and a straight wall Can which has a screw on lid.

Agree with this for sure. Old school is nice to a point with some things.

One other alternative, might be perhaps to transfer the paste into another can by way of melting down with a double boiler?

The of course is akin to playing mad scientist, can be dangerous placing such a product anywhere near a flame, or a heat gun.

You have to be careful melting down wax. Sometimes too much of the solvent carrier can evaporate out of the wax when turning it into a liquid state.

The smooth knife trick seems safest to me for the time being.

Or the possibility of one of those newfangled can openers that cut the outside of can edge like someone else mentioned? As long as no metal shavings are introduced, then it would be easy to transfer into some other suitable vessel-can. Mark

Won't work, just tried it. The top lip is too wide for the can opener to grip it and the bottom is not even close. Scrape it out or do as I do apply it by hand. :)