PDA

View Full Version : Clay problems

MarvinsJunk
11-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Hello everyone,

Been lurking here a long time and learning a lot, but this is my first post. Unfortunately I'm having some issues, and could use a little advice.

I'm working on my pre-winter detail, which in a nutshell is wash, clay, wash, KAIO, KSGx3, and usually a carnauba topper if I feel saucy. I ran into a problem while claying. I just purchased ONR and mixed up a bottle at the QD ratio (1oz ONR to 16oz distilled water). The clay was Meguiars blue. I've never used either of these before. After claying the hood and front bumper I noticed some severe marring. I stopped and went out to purchase the Mothers kit with clay and QD, which is what I've always used before. I've used it at least 6 or 7 times on this car (blue Acura TL), and dozens of times total. I moved to the roof and trunk with the Mothers, and realized it was marring the paint as well. I've never had any issues with marring until now.

It's about 45-50 deg in the garage right now. Is that just too cold to clay? I have noticed that it's pretty stiff. I'm not doing anything I haven't done dozens of times, and I just can't figure out what is going on. It looks like I'll be polishing tomorrow, which I wasn't planning, but it is what it is. Should I just go ahead and clay the whole thing and polish all of it, or do I need to stop claying altogether and just polish the portions that I screwed up?

Thanks in advance for your input.