PDA

View Full Version : Plastic on guage cluster

Pages : [1] 2

EddieF
11-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Can you use a headlight repair kit on you're instrument panel? I have an 05 camry and I would like to clean mine up a bit. Thanks.

EddieF
11-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Feed back please
Can you use a headlight repair kit on you're instrument panel? I have an 05 camry and I would like to clean mine up a bit. Thanks.

Rsurfer
11-02-2012, 05:53 PM
It would be hard to work in such a confined area.

Speed-Dude
11-02-2012, 06:04 PM
The plastic on the instrument panel is pretty soft you probably wouldn't need something that drastic?

swanicyouth
11-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I removed mine on my Pathfinder to try and polish scratches out of it. The plastic is very soft and almost impossible to get completely clear. I used the Meg's Mirror Glaze Plastic cleaner and polish.

Rsurfer
11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Being so soft, you should never dry wipe the panel.

jackychai
11-02-2012, 06:45 PM
before i know AG i use the 3M headlight restore kit with a drill. the result is astonishing (i guess they have tons of fillers, which i have not heard about that that time). just sometimes the contour might not be easy to work with. try with the old cluster first.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

jackychai
11-02-2012, 06:46 PM
and u can try with the finer grit sand paper to see how it goes before proceeding to lower grit.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

EddieF
11-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Good advise, thanks guys!

EddieF
11-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Being so soft, you should never dry wipe the panel.

Theres a lot of scratches, you can tell they came from a towel.

MarkD51
11-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Novus Plastic Polshes work well for such. There are three polish grades, and they have been around a long long time, are pretty much the gold standard, and are not hard to acquire.

I use them for plastics and acylics.

#1 works well for maintainence, and for a slight loss of luster, and gloss. #2, and #3 are more agressive polishes to remove swirling, and scratches.
Mark

EddieF
11-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Novus Plastic Polshes work well for such. There are three polish grades, and they have been around a long long time, are pretty much the gold standard, and are not hard to acquire.

I use them for plastics and acylics.

#1 works well for maintainence, and for a slight loss of luster, and gloss. #2, and #3 are more agressive polishes to remove swirling, and scratches.
Mark
Thanks Mark, where can I get buy this from?

MarkD51
11-02-2012, 07:49 PM

For a few years, I knew a very kind fella by the name Dave Thompson, who owned Valley Plastics in CA, who used to give me these products, no charge!

But sadly Dave had a very bad fall, was MIA from work for a long while, and then took a buy out from the company.

He always said it was the best, and what they used in the factory. I've found it works superb on a Turntable (record player) I own, which possesses a solid 1.00' Black Acrylic Plinth-Base. On the black, you do see everything, even every speck of dust.

So, not long back, I was running low of Novus #1, and simply went on ebay and found a multitude of vendors, who as well will offer free shipping.

As always, and with any product you might try using on such things as a gauge cluster, never spray any product direct to the plastic cover, always apply to a soft cloth like an MF cloth, make sure the cloth is only slightly dampened, and stay away from borders initially, as you surely don't want any product getting behind the plastic glass.

I agree with all others here, a slightly dirty, or a dry cloth usually scratches the living hell out of this delicate plastic.

I've used Novus on my own Tahoe, and gotten night and day results with how it was looking prior to the Novus #1 application. It is good to have all three grades. Mark

Rsurfer
11-02-2012, 07:54 PM
google it, lots of links.

flamed03vert
11-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Novus works very well... I actually tried it for the very smae purpose you describe OP. I purchased my kit with polishing cloths ranging from 2400 up to 10000 from a local hobby shop.