PDA

View Full Version : Glass Coating for Paint

Pages : [1] 2 3

Glenn Taylor
11-01-2012, 07:14 PM
I have been doing some research on 22PLE and Nanolex and these products seem to give pretty impressive results, especially Nanolex. VW has a white that is called candy white and I saw a picture of a GLI that was completed with Nanoplex and to say the least it was impressive, it brought a lot of depth to a white car and the shine was outstanding.

Question is has anyone used these products and can you expect such outstanding results?

Second am I missing some other products that can provide this look and durability?

Please feel free to chime in, any and all advise would be appreciated!

KneeDragr
11-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Opti-coat is the competing product that Autogeek offers. Its regarded as the most durable of the new glass coatings. Its literally permanent.

Rsurfer
11-01-2012, 07:45 PM
I have been doing some research on 22PLE and Nanolex and these products seem to give pretty impressive results, especially Nanolex. VW has a white that is called candy white and I saw a picture of a GLI that was completed with Nanoplex and to say the least it was impressive, it brought a lot of depth to a white car and the shine was outstanding.

Question is has anyone used these products and can you expect such outstanding results?

Second am I missing some other products that can provide this look and durability?

There are no miracle waxes. To get outstanding results even on white you need to remove defects (swirls) from the clear coat and get it as level as possible to reflect light.

Waxmax
11-01-2012, 08:18 PM
AG also offers CQuartz which is very good, but as is stated many times, the prep needs to be the best you can do to get the most from any LSP.

Glenn Taylor
11-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks for info. I agree 100% prep work needs to be flawless, and we are ready for that. opti being permanent not sure about going there.

I guess more or less trying to see if anyone out there has had experience with these sealants or others and pros and cons.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AG Online

Audi X2
11-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I recently applied 22ple, but it has not been long enough for me to give you any concrete feedback.

2old2change
11-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Glen just keep in mind that 22ple and other glass coatings have a life span anywhere from 6 months to 2 yrs depending on various conditions. OC is a permanent coating unlike the glass coatings which OC is not.. To back this up Optimum soon will offer a lifetime warranty on the Pro version when installed on a new car by a authorized installer. You will find the learning curve for most of the new glass coatings is quick and easy. The coating industry is sprouting out new products quicker then a person can keep track of . They are not for everyone but sure fill a need in the detailing market.

Glenn Taylor
11-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I recently applied 22ple, but it has not been long enough for me to give you any concrete feedback.

What color was the car and what is your take on appearance after application?

Glenn Taylor
11-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Glen just keep in mind that 22ple and other glass coatings have a life span anywhere from 6 months to 2 yrs depending on various conditions. OC is a permanent coating unlike the glass coatings which OC is not.. To back this up Optimum soon will offer a lifetime warranty on the Pro version when installed on a new car by a authorized installer. You will find the learning curve for most of the new glass coatings is quick and easy. The coating industry is sprouting out new products quicker then a person can keep track of . They are not for everyone but sure fill a need in the detailing market.

The longevity is one thing I thought was a plus but also the protective layer it creates. My thinking was that this would be great for vehicles on hwy. Looking for alternative to clear film that when shrink leaves that sticky residue that collects everything.

2old2change
11-02-2012, 11:12 AM
The longevity is one thing I thought was a plus but also the protective layer it creates. My thinking was that this would be great for vehicles on hwy. Looking for alternative to clear film that when shrink leaves that sticky residue that collects everything.

The ony coating that I know of that can actually have it's thickness measured with a paint gage is OC/OG. As for sticky film, I have not had this that you mention happen with the Expel clear film. I have yet to hear of a coating to actually do much in the way of protection from road debris or rock chips.

FUNX650
11-02-2012, 11:21 AM
22ple and other glass coatings have a life span anywhere from 6 months to 2 yrs

Some are claiming up to a minimum of 7 years!! :wow:

The coating industry is sprouting out new products quicker then a person can keep track of .

...:iagree:...That's for sure!!

I have been doing some research on 22PLE and Nanolex

Please feel free to chime in

^^^Thanks...I believe I will.^^^

-Haven't used either of these 'Coating' products.
(Nor can I locate the 22PLE or Nanolex 'Coatings' anywhere on the AGO Store's web-site.)

That being the case...I suppose I can inquire:

Have you ever used any of the:
Matrix Micro-Coatings products...The ones utilizing Ceramic Polymer-Nanotechnology?!?!
(No...I haven't as of yet...But that doesn't mean I won't in the future.)

I'm done http://phillyringers.com/stmarks/rounds3.wav

Bob

Audi X2
11-02-2012, 11:31 AM
What color was the car and what is your take on appearance after application?

The car is a black metallic and without a doubt the car looked very good after the application. Very glossy and nicely shows the flake in the paint for sure.
The product is totally cured now, so the car will be washed and I can get a better feel for the overall performance of the coating.

RaskyR1
11-02-2012, 11:59 AM

People really need to understand that pictures don't show squat! Anyone who's good with a camera and knows how to manipulate the lighting can make a dramatic looking picture regardless of the product used. Don't buy a product based on images!!!

That being said I have used 22ple and it is VERY easy to use, darkens the paint nicely, and leaves a slicker feel than coatings like Opti-Guard. I've also used the new CQuartz Finest which darkened the paint even more so than 22ple and also left the paint feeling slicker than OG. I have a few test panels with all 3 coatings on them but it's still very early in the test stages.

At the end of the day they all have their pros and cons. Look at the unique attributes each offers and base your decision an that. I currently offer all 3 and I gear the glass coatings more for clients wanting good protection, but also the added look and feel. If you want the best long term durability I think Opti-Guard has it hands down.

coated with 22ple
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/liz%20Sonata/20120928-DSC_1966.jpg

Coated with CQuartz Finest
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/Rachaels%20car/20121007-DSC_2010.jpg

Coated with Opti-Guard
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/BMW%20750/20120825-DSC_1557.jpg

Glenn Taylor
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
People really need to understand that pictures don't show squat! Anyone who's good with a camera and knows how to manipulate the lighting can make a dramatic looking picture regardless of the product used. Don't buy a product based on images!!!

That being said I have used 22ple and it is VERY easy to use, darkens the paint nicely, and leaves a slicker feel than coatings like Opti-Guard. I've also used the new CQuartz Finest which darkened the paint even more so than 22ple and also left the paint feeling slicker than OG. I have a few test panels with all 3 coatings on them but it's still very early in the test stages.

At the end of the day they all have their pros and cons. Look at the unique attributes each offers and base your decision an that. I currently offer all 3 and I gear the glass coatings more for clients wanting good protection, but also the added look and feel. If you want the best long term durability I think Opti-Guard has it hands down.

coated with 22ple
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/liz%20Sonata/20120928-DSC_1966.jpg

Coated with CQuartz Finest
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/Rachaels%20car/20121007-DSC_2010.jpg

Coated with Opti-Guard
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/BMW%20750/20120825-DSC_1557.jpg

Good point on pics. That is why I turned to the Pros here. I know I can get
an honest shake down.

What should I take from manipulated photos? LOL JK BLAHAHAHA

I do like your finishing advise all joking aside.

Glenn Taylor
11-02-2012, 12:14 PM
The car is a black metallic and without a doubt the car looked very good after the application. Very glossy and nicely shows the flake in the paint for sure.
The product is totally cured now, so the car will be washed and I can get a better feel for the overall performance of the coating.

I would like to hear your final thoughts, please post back!