PDA

View Full Version : VLED switchbacks on my 5ohhhh

sportscarhiatus
10-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Wow, that's 2 mods in less than a week. We need to thank our wives more often... lol.

That being said, I received my VLED switchbacks today. I installed them in about 10 minutes or less. I guessed correctly on the polarity of one of them, then switched for the next one. Easy Peasy.

I must say, this is another one of my FAVORITE mods. They look so OEM. At 5000k temp, they are bright enough to be seen during the day and at night, without looking like 12000k uber blue/white ricey lights that you see on other cars when they go aftermarket. You know what I mean? These babies are perfect. No resistors either. Plug and play. Big kudos to VLEDs for making a great product. I might look into VLEDs for my foglights and rear plate lights.

Anyways, here are the pics I took after I installed them after I came home from work, then a short video right after I installed them, then a video tonight out in the dark in driveway. (I had to edit my last video, because I tried turning on my HID's and Hoen Fogs to see how they would look with the VLEDs, but the camera washed it out...couldn't see squat...lol)

I will shoot a daytime video tomorrow and update this thread. I wonder how truly bright they will be in sunlight.

I truly need something like this for the TSX. Tori feels left out. Anyone recommend a good VLED for the DRL's for Tori?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/pookie_wookie/switchbackwhite.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/pookie_wookie/switchbackamber.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8trR-FP6hpU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNSK2RlESfI

chris.ganucheau
10-30-2012, 10:27 PM
so do these stay on all the time white? and when you turn the signal on they turn orange?

Chris's FX4
10-30-2012, 10:44 PM
I love these, they look great.:xyxthumbs:

I'd definitely get some for my truck if I had dedicated parking lights, separate from my signals.

BobbyG
10-31-2012, 06:55 AM
I've never heard of these and would like to know more about them. Are they a headlamp and directional all in one?

DaHen
10-31-2012, 07:51 AM
I put a set of daytime running light-switchbacks on the Altima as well. Did remove the front bumper in order to have better access to mount the LED strip under the headlight housings.
They are wired in parallel with the parking and turn signal lights.

DaHen
10-31-2012, 08:48 AM

CORRECTION: Only the amber LEDs are wired in parallel with the turn signal lights. Ran a separate circuit for the white daytime running light LEDs.

PGdynamics
10-31-2012, 08:49 AM
I've never heard of these and would like to know more about them. Are they a headlamp and directional all in one?

I'm willing to bet he used these.
5K TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 60 TURN SIGNAL BULBS 3157 3157NA 3357 3457 4157 4057 | 1 PAIR (http://www.v-leds.com/5K-TYPE-2-DUAL-COLOR-p9814704-1-2.html)

They are the type 2 style. Which will blink amber and switch back to white when the blinker is deactivated.

The type 1 style will alternate amber/white while blinking. They go back to white when the blinker is deactivated.

These are replacements for 3157, 3157NA, 3357, 345, 4157, 4057 style bulbs. Non CK style (some Toyotas). Read through the description.

My Cobalt uses these as DRL's or else I'd be all over it :(
Lovin the look! I'm jealous. :dblthumb2:

sportscarhiatus
10-31-2012, 09:39 AM
so do these stay on all the time white? and when you turn the signal on they turn orange?

So... these are NOT headlights or for headlights. These are the parking lights/turn signal 3157 bulb replacements. So stockwise in my car (and many others), when you turn on the parking lights, they are a low lit amber. Then when you turn your signals on, they flash with a high lit amber.

These VLEDs replace them.

So now, when I turn my parking lights "on", they are similar to a DRL, where they are white.

When I turn my signal on, the amber LED's come one, while the white LED's shut off. I got the Type 2's, so when signal is on, they just flash amber (no white). Type 1 flashes amber, then white, amber, then white... I didn't want that. Just amber for flash.

Make sense?

The BEST part about these? NO INLINE RESISTOR MODS NEEDED. The new tech builds in a 5ohm load resistor (I think)... so cool. Again, this may not be true for all vehicles, but for Ford's (I heard) no resistors are needed. Score for me. I would not have done this if I needed to do wiring mods. I am not electrically inclined, and don't want to partake in that.

I love these, they look great.:xyxthumbs:

I'd definitely get some for my truck if I had dedicated parking lights, separate from my signals.

Thanks Chris. I bet you a million bucks you HAVE parking lights. What happens when you turn them on? You should have a dedicated amber parking light... have to. Then just get these VLEDs and replace em.

I put a set of daytime running light-switchbacks on the Altima as well. Did remove the front bumper in order to have better access to mount the LED strip under the headlight housings.

CORRECTION: Only the amber LEDs are wired in parallel with the turn signal lights. Ran a separate circuit for the white daytime running light LEDs.

I think you are right on this. I don't have any more indepth knowledge to refute.

I'm willing to bet he used these.
5K TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 60 TURN SIGNAL BULBS 3157 3157NA 3357 3457 4157 4057 | 1 PAIR (http://www.v-leds.com/5K-TYPE-2-DUAL-COLOR-p9814704-1-2.html)

They are the type 2 style. Which will blink amber and switch back to white when the blinker is deactivated.

The type 1 style will alternate amber/white while blinking. They go back to white when the blinker is deactivated.

These are replacements for 3157, 3157NA, 3357, 345, 4157, 4057 style bulbs. Non CK style (some Toyotas). Read through the description.

My Cobalt uses these as DRL's or else I'd be all over it :(
Lovin the look! I'm jealous. :dblthumb2:

I think that's right PG.... I may have the 90 LED one tho.... or the 60... not sure. What's inane is, there are 60 white and 60 amber LED's... amazing!

I absolutely LOVE them.

Chris's FX4
10-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks Chris. I bet you a million bucks you HAVE parking lights. What happens when you turn them on? You should have a dedicated amber parking light... have to. Then just get these VLEDs and replace em.

Oh no, I have parking lights. What I meant was I don't have another set like you do in your bumper. I assume these stay white even with your headlights on? Plus they wouldn't match my heads since I don't have HID's.

Jomax
10-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Wow, that's 2 mods in less than a week. We need to thank our wives more often... lol.

That being said, I received my VLED switchbacks today. I installed them in about 10 minutes or less. I guessed correctly on the polarity of one of them, then switched for the next one. Easy Peasy.

I must say, this is another one of my FAVORITE mods. They look so OEM. At 5000k temp, they are bright enough to be seen during the day and at night, without looking like 12000k uber blue/white ricey lights that you see on other cars when they go aftermarket. You know what I mean? These babies are perfect. No resistors either. Plug and play. Big kudos to VLEDs for making a great product. I might look into VLEDs for my foglights and rear plate lights.

Anyways, here are the pics I took after I installed them after I came home from work, then a short video right after I installed them, then a video tonight out in the dark in driveway. (I had to edit my last video, because I tried turning on my HID's and Hoen Fogs to see how they would look with the VLEDs, but the camera washed it out...couldn't see squat...lol)

I will shoot a daytime video tomorrow and update this thread. I wonder how truly bright they will be in sunlight.

I truly need something like this for the TSX. Tori feels left out. Anyone recommend a good VLED for the DRL's for Tori?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/pookie_wookie/switchbackwhite.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/pookie_wookie/switchbackamber.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8trR-FP6hpU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNSK2RlESfI

Did the honey do list get longer?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

sportscarhiatus
10-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Oh no, I have parking lights. What I meant was I don't have another set like you do in your bumper. I assume these stay white even with your headlights on? Plus they wouldn't match my heads since I don't have HID's.

Ah I see... yeah if you don't have HID's, it would look weird if your parking lights are bright white and halogen headlights are yellowish :(

Did the honey do list get longer?

I don't know how it can get longer, but you're right...I think it did...

update:

was home for lunch so I took these daytime vids. Not too dark, not too bright for DRL's. Perfect.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2NUA8WJF6Y