PDA

View Full Version : Problems from other detailers.... Ever experience this?

ALLN1WASH
10-30-2012, 07:33 PM
How's it going AG? I've been on the detailing scene here in my area for about 4 1/2 years now and things couldn't be better. I've accomplished each and every goal, each and every year since my beginning. To date, NO complaint from any of my customers(knocking on wood). Prices are competitive and services are the best I feel I can offer...

About two years in, I started getting calls from "potential customers" who later turned out to only be some of the other detailers in my area, doing what u refer to as price checking... I've even had some if these guys go as far as booking details as a "potential new client" and not show up or the residence we agreed to meet at be completely non existant. Heck, I've even had one of these guys follow me from one job, across town to another job.

Well today, I got one of those calls again. Guy wants to set up a detail, however, can't tell me the exact make and model of vehicle nor could he produce a legit adress where I could detail the vehicle. My ? To you all is, have you ever experienced anything like this and exactly how do you suggest I handle this problem. I'm really trying my best to keep this harassment from turning into anything physical or even worse. But honestly, I fed up with the games...

What do you suggest????

Vegas Transplant
10-30-2012, 07:40 PM
It wasn't me :laughing:, but I am guilty of, and advising newbies to review the FB thread, and sig lines to get an idea of pricing in their market.

I even drove around to many of the detail shops here and inquired of pricing before doing my first customer car in the DMV.

I have a job on location in the hood this week - winter prep for existing customer in S.E. off Southern Ave. I will be carrying in a gun restricted city.

I have no suggestions.

SuperiorAutoLLC
10-30-2012, 08:00 PM
If you're really tired of it, I suggest you take a credit card number over the phone and say you are going to charge it a fee in the event of a no show.

cmwsdw@gmail
10-30-2012, 08:08 PM
I don't own a detail business but I do manage an automotive repair shop. We get the same kind of calls all the time. Our standard procedure for a price shopping call whether we think it is another shop or an actual customer is to first off get the car to us. I try to get as much information about the vehicle and their issue as I can. That gives me an opportunity to see whether they are a serious customer, a customer just looking for just the cheapest possible price(which i don't want any way), or another shop price shopping.

I then explain to them that its very hard to give an accurate estimate over the phone and that it would be great if the could swing by our shop and I will take a quick look at the vehicle for FREE and give them a FREE estimate. In your case you may offer to drive to their house or work to give the estimate. It's much easier to sell yourself and your service when you are face to face.

If they insist on a price give them a price that is JUST under your local competition. Yes you have to know this as well. It's just part o good business. You don't want to be way high or way low on price compared to the competition.

Above all you HAVE to stay professional. Sometimes its hard to tell a customer from another shop/detailer and you wouldn't want to scare away a potential customer. And if you continue to be professional with the other businesses and not let them get you worked up they will get bored and stop harassing you.

Sorry for such a long post but hopefully this will help you some...

VP Mark
10-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Not much you can do about this, just keep your own integrity. If they don't sound legit ask for a 20% pre pay.

People that lower themselves to these tactics won't be in the business for very long anyhow, so don't sweat it too much. If they are going as far as following you around, they are obviously jealous of the business you have built. Advantage, you.

ShineTimeDetail
10-31-2012, 06:32 PM
I have never had this happen but can't believe it hasn't happened yet! I plan on doing a $25 up front charge when booking the detail soon.

derrickd
10-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Ya but its even better when they dont block there number, and you know its your compatition calling lol.

Bill1234
10-31-2012, 07:53 PM
I would call the police and say these people are stalking you and trying to illegally price match with other businesses