PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender Plus Review

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ray@Autogeek
10-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Yesterday morning I heard something no driver wants to hear....the sound of an engine attempting to turn over.

It was a chilly morning in Stuart, FL. Weather reports had thermometer readings at 51° F (which felt like 48° F) on Monday morning. In Stuart, this is considered a category 5 Ice Age apocalypse.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-74LqGLqnn8s/UI_a4CGLijI/AAAAAAAAE_M/M1VSgRNNUvg/s281/weather.jpg

After my morning coffee and bacon, I went out to my driveway to fire up my motorcycle. I always give my carburated bike a few minutes before riding to let the engine properly warm up, except it wasn't turning over! The starter sounded weak and I knew I would need a jump. I started to run through a mental checklist of possible problems or previous symptoms. I remember thinking on a couple occasions how weak the starter sounded sometimes....and how my headlight seemed to dim while driving at night. I realized I had an underlying problem in my charging system.

After having my bike jump started by a friendly neighbor, I arrived at Autogeek and headed straight to Meghans office. I was pretty thirsty after the start to my week and she always has a can of pop to offer :xyxthumbs:.

Back to my motorcycle, I decided to at least have it on a Battery Tender until I was able to figure out the problem. I found a Battery Tender Plus (http://www.autogeek.net/btplus.html) in the AG Show Car Garage and connected it to my battery.

A Battery Tender Plus couldn't be any simpler to use.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sqRxjw9jMw4/UI_lYxhoIVI/AAAAAAAAE_k/UU0CXuk8KBI/s600/setitbattery.jpg

The Battery Tender Plus charges any size, flooded or sealed maintenance-free lead acid batteries. So having to find specific information on my battery was not needed. I knew Battery Tender had an equation on their website which allows you to calculate the recharge time:

Approximate Recharge Time Calculations

(Battery Capacity) / (Charger Current) = Hours
(Amp-Hours) / (Amps) = Hours

Let’s say I have a 50 Amp-Hour battery and a 10 Amp charger. These are fairly typical sizes for an automotive engine start type battery and an automotive battery charger. The dash that normally appears between Amp and Hours has been replaced by the multiplication sign (*) to emphasize the behavior of these 2 items in a mathematical equation.
If the battery is fully discharged then the first approximation for the charge time is (50 Amps*Hours) divided by (10 Amps) = 5 Hours. Truthfully, this is a rough estimate and it usually tells us how long it will take to recharge the battery to about 80% of its capacity.

I knew the Battery Tender Plus at 1.25 amps will charge as fast or faster than any 3 amp charger available, and after using the equation above I expected the Battery Tender Plus to take ~4 hours to recharge my 12 AH battery. I only had it on my bike for a couple hours before having to go home and the solid Red light indicated the battery still needed to be charged.

I drove immediately to my local Auto Parts store and had them test my battery. They told me my CCA's and Voltage looked perfect so my battery was perfectly fine :dblthumb2:. Instead of buying a new battery I decided to let the Battery Tender Plus completely charge my battery.

As soon as I got home I plugged the Battery Tender Plus back in. Again, the red light showed the battery would need more time.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--b8KnoNaU68/UI_NmI7kPMI/AAAAAAAAE-A/_kVMFqG_uks/s576/IMG_0580.JPG

The Battery Tender Plus has a ton of safety features. So I was comfortable leaving the Battery Tender Plus on my battery overnight.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FKHkfiq7XkY/UI_NlLdO8zI/AAAAAAAAE94/Lu7Uc9ZjVHc/s576/IMG_0581.JPG

Before I went to bed I decided to check on the Battery Tender and she gave me good news! A blinking green light!!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RpqPCIdzYSY/UI_NrQHN6sI/AAAAAAAAE-Y/C3yyqroR3Wg/s576/IMG_0584.JPG

The indicator light guide on the back of the unit told me my battery was now at greater than 80% charge.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cnIiDts8cjo/UI_xyEFHyFI/AAAAAAAAE_8/BJp_BPv9MVw/s510/B000NCOKNI.03.lg.jpg

The next morning I was greeted to a solid green indicator light!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LUsypT11Plk/UI_NwVKuClI/AAAAAAAAE-0/Kf65mB9BMtY/s576/IMG_0587.JPG

Weather conditions were almost identical to the previous morning. I removed the Battery Tender and my bike started stronger than it had ever before!! When I purchased the bike it looked like it had been sitting for some time, so I should have expected the battery to not be fully charged. After starting the bike a few times now, it's clear to me the bike has been undercharged since I've had it.

After talking to a few car guys, it seems to be a belief that Battery Tenders are simply maintainers ---- Deltran specifically says on their website that this is "NOT TRUE!" Each and every Deltran Battery Tender is programmed with a microprocessor that will correctly charge a battery then automatically switch to a maintenance/float mode - regardless of its size.

Battery Tender has a great resource of information on their website that clearly shows the benefits a Battery Tender has over a conventional battery charger: Freq Asked Questions - Batterytender.com (http://batterytender.com/resources/frequently-asked-questions/)

EVERY car or bike guy should have one of these in their garage. Without it, I would have spent $100 on a new battery at my local motorcycle parts supplier. If you have a vehicle that is being stored - whether it's a car, truck, RV, motorcycle, boat, etc., put a Battery Tender on it and have it fire right up when the next season starts. :props:

Thanks for reading!

Bigbull2984
10-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Funny your wrote this Ray. MY newer car doesn't get driven much in the foul weather, so yesterday I started the car after a week and had a really short drive to the gas station. Filled up and car and tried to start it, it would not turn over.... Stuck at the gas pump!!!!! On top of that everyone here was filling up due to the Hurricane and I had a line behind me. Waited for Acura to pick me up for 30 mins.....

Battery Tender Plus will be on my to buy list now.

02xtreme07SS
10-30-2012, 11:59 AM
I have (5) of these exact units currently in service, (2) are on spare batteries and (3) on stored vehicles. Each of the vehicles fires up the first time, every time thanks to these little guys. They are great!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I have one of these at home as well and my 07 hardly is driven so she sips on the Batter Tender to keep a fresh charge. I can also say that there is no length of time that is excesive for it to be hooked up. I have deployed many times and my car will sit on the charger for 6 to 7 months without issues.

I agree with you, everyone should use it for a car that is hardly driven.

57BORNTORUN
10-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Hey Nick, now that you dont need it any more can I have it. LOL.

FUNX650
10-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Been using 'em for years...Best thing since sliced-bread!

(Well...almost.)

:)

Bob

hoyt66
10-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Ordering one for my car as it will be stored for the winter. Free shipping :dblthumb2:

ScottB
10-30-2012, 05:57 PM
I run a Ctek on the Vette, but always wondered about these too. Nice review !

Sizzle Chest
10-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Been using 'em for years...Best thing since sliced-bread!

(Well...almost.)

:)

Bob

X2!

davidc
10-30-2012, 06:07 PM
I have been using one for a few years now on my dual battery Dodge Cummins. Has worked flawlessly every time and since the truck is not driven that frequently the tender stays on it 24/7.

Dave

rider9195
10-30-2012, 06:22 PM
I say these should go on sale!

Hint hint..

hoyt66
10-30-2012, 06:33 PM
I say these should go on sale!

Hint hint..

Just ordered mine....on sale 59.99:xyxthumbs:

Ryry11
10-30-2012, 06:54 PM
I can tell you right now, if you have anything that sits for an extended period of time, you need one of these, and here's why...I've used one for about 4 years now, I bought one back when I needed to purchase a new battery for my camaro because it went dead from sitting.
My car gets driven very few miles every year, and it sits for up to 10 months at a time without being driven. I'll start it once a month or so just to get the fluids moving and what not, but that's it. Well long story short, this past spring, I had the battery tested just for the hell of it to see where it was as, because I knew it was getting old and was just curious as to it's health. Mind you I had no reason to have it tested as I had never had any issue with my car firing, this was just out of curiosity. When the guy hooked it up, he was amazed at the "health" of the battery, as it read 100%. It was actually even putting out a few more cold cranking amps than it was rated at. That right there alone sold me on the tender for life. Amazing product, and after 4 years of being hooked up to a battery nonstop, the battery was as strong as it was on day one.

rider9195
10-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Just ordered mine....on sale 59.99:xyxthumbs:

:doh: Should have checked the site first. Lol.

hoyt66
10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
:doh: Should have checked the site first. Lol.

No worries. It's a good deal especially since it's free shipping w/no min.