PDA

View Full Version : Buffing with DA.

Vitric
10-29-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm new to this site. I've been detailing for 2 years and have no experience with buffing with a DA. How is it compared to a rotary? I'm scared of swirls.... I feel like a DA would be less likely to swirl. Do they swirl? Does anyone have pictures of what DA swirls would look like? Thanks :dblthumb2:

Bill1234
10-29-2012, 07:24 PM
A da has less power than a rotary and has a lesser chance of ripping off paint
There are currently alot on the market :
Meguiars g220
griots
porter cable and others

A da will need pads also I would also buy meguiars or mezerna polish. I like the m105 and 205 combo

Rsurfer
10-29-2012, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=Bill1234;758338]A da has less power than a rotary and has a lesser chance of ripping off paint

By all means if you are new to machine polishing stay away from a rotary as it may rip off your paint.Im the MAN

wangotango
10-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Are you talking about 'buffing', not polishing or applying a product?
In other words applying the product with a DA then (instead of hand rubbing away with towel) using a buffing pad with bonnet (or?) on a DA?

KJW Detailing
10-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Similar to what others have said, the use of a da polisher is recommended for a beginner when your considering paint correction, but you'll also find that many seasoned veterans continue to use a da almost exclusively. The rotary rotates in a fixed axis and creates an abundance of heat, which could result in burnt or ripped paint, but you also have to look out for buffer swirls and holograms that can also be induced when using a rotary. A da oscillates (small circular motions as is rotates around a larger circular motion). The benefit to using a da can be found in the reduction of heat created (greatly reduced chance of removing paint) and your less likely to induce buffer trailers / holograms.

The best piece of advise I could give to you, is do plenty of research! Everyone here will also suggest, that regardless of your polishing tool, the best thing to do, is begin with the least aggressive combination and work up (only) if needed!