PDA

View Full Version : I feel like trying something new...

Pages : [1] 2

Neothin
05-21-2006, 10:27 PM
I have an itch to try using an acrylic sealant on my mom's car. I've used #16 on it long enough lol.
besides klasse sealant glaze, what else is out there?

she has a beige vdub if that helps.

supercharged
05-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Menzerna FMJ is acrylic also.....But it has a nasty gasoline smell, so if that does not bother you - give it a try!

joe.p
05-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Try PoorBoys EX-P..
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=562

http://www.autogeek.net/pbexp16.html

ScottB
05-22-2006, 06:26 PM
To my knowledge neither EX-P ( poly=water based) nor FMJ ( poly=water based) are acrylics. Menzerna does offer a acrylic QD'er which seems to show they value the better durability of such.

The only other acrylic product thats out there is Werkstatt. Its designed via Carlack (the original designer of Klasse abroad) and supposedly an updated product. It truly is a nice product, and still a little buggy like Klasse. I have Prime (want to try Prime Strong), Acrylic Jett (I use it in spray form but not the newer Trigger), and Acrylic Glos. While I find nothing particularly great in their carnuaba line (extremely finicky --- DONT use in sun) there acrylic line is mighty nice. Too bad we dont carry it ....

Neothin
05-22-2006, 08:11 PM
AJ was kinda what I was leaning towards to begin with...

how does it look on lighter colors because that's what i'm going to be using it on. what's the durability like?

ScottB
05-22-2006, 08:51 PM
AJ was kinda what I was leaning towards to begin with...

how does it look on lighter colors because that's what i'm going to be using it on. what's the durability like?

durability was spot on with Klasse and very close to another well known sealant needing a curing agent additive. I like it on metallics and darks, did not really try on light colored cars specifically.

Neothin
05-22-2006, 09:03 PM
what's the application like? I used KSG twice and hated it. Granted this was in my nooby detailing days so i more than likely used entirely too much product. do i have to make sure that it's a super thin application of product, etc etc etc

ScottB
05-22-2006, 09:10 PM
what's the application like? I used KSG twice and hated it. Granted this was in my nooby detailing days so i more than likely used entirely too much product. do i have to make sure that it's a super thin application of product, etc etc etc

I would suggest the newer Trigger as I hear that Jeff and Carlack redesigned it to be easier to apply thin. Even the Acrylic Sealant offers a spray for the bottle. Just like KSG, 1 spritz per panel. I like the WOWO method, but wonder how spit shining with Acrylic Glos might work ??

--- newest craze in detailing ??? --- taking a QD or QD+ and using it to help remove dried wax or sealants. I have yet to try it, but several swear by it. Once dry and hazed you spray on the QD/QD+ and wipe everything off at once.

Neothin
05-22-2006, 09:14 PM
i've been spritzing dried wax with QD to aid with removal for months now.

Surfer
05-22-2006, 10:17 PM
--- newest craze in detailing ??? --- taking a QD or QD+ and using it to help remove dried wax or sealants. I have yet to try it, but several swear by it. Once dry and hazed you spray on the QD/QD+ and wipe everything off at once.I'll have pics up soon, but this is what I did with my white suv. I buffed off each coat of EX-P with OCW, then did two layers of OCW. Now I have two layers of Natty's Blue on and buffed off with QW+.

I was at a restaurant tonight, and my truck was parked in fron of the entrance. I kept staring at the wetness and reflections comming off it from cars passing on the street lol:D

Kelso
05-22-2006, 10:30 PM
I'll have pics up soon, but this is what I did with my white suv. I buffed off each coat of EX-P with OCW, then did two layers of OCW. Now I have two layers of Natty's Blue on and buffed off with QW+.

I was at a restaurant tonight, and my truck was parked in fron of the entrance. I kept staring at the wetness and reflections comming off it from cars passing on the street lol:D

i do that a LOT! my alpine white bimmer doesnt have the depth and wetness right now but my car is so incredibly hot imo and im always saring at it. i thought it would wear off after a few weeks, but ive had the car since february and i still glance back at it every chance i get...

Neothin
05-23-2006, 09:00 AM
I feel that way with my car too!

just ask meghan, she'll tell you ;)

snomon1017
05-23-2006, 09:36 AM
--- newest craze in detailing ??? --- taking a QD or QD+ and using it to help remove dried wax or sealants. I have yet to try it, but several swear by it. Once dry and hazed you spray on the QD/QD+ and wipe everything off at once.

If a sealant needs to cure sans moisture, why would a QD NOT interfere? :confused:

ScottB
05-23-2006, 06:05 PM
If a sealant needs to cure sans moisture, why would a QD NOT interfere? :confused:

thats my personal question also ?? I suspect they are reducing the sealants durability, but then again, around here who fails to wax or seal monthly ?? :confused:

snomon1017
05-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Good point. Very true. Gotta get out and wax/seal. BUT . . . most products (discussed here anyway) are so easy to use anyway, why bother with a QD? KSG maybe, but Souveran, WG, etc? Even then (KSG) WOWO seems like it would be at least as easy as using a QD and would probably spare the durability.