PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on removing these spots (tar or tree sap)

Pages : [1] 2

eyost
10-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi all,

My wife's car has tons of these spots all over her car. We have a feeling that it may be tree sap or tar. It is raised and I can remove it with my fingernail but after doing so it leaves a spot. I have tried Pinnacle deep swirl remover with an orange pad but it takes a lot of work to get the spots to be removed. Didn't hurt much as there were some swirls.

On a whim I tried some of the Wolfgang pad cleaner on a cloth and that actually seemed to work pretty well with some rubbing. Even some rubbing alcohol worked as well. Given the amount of spots that need to be removed, I would like to be able to run something on a machine if possible.

I've attached a picture; hopefully I have done that correctly.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed

rider9195
10-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Have you tried claying?

DealerDetailer
10-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Very interesting that they are black spots. Your sure that its tree sap? Are they sticky when you touch and push on them?

Anyways I can tell your that Automotive Go-Gone has worked outstanding for me with my normal products (Poorboys Bug Squash, APC+ etc) don't remove something.

From my experiance, if its sap, clay will just get laughed at by the sap.

primo spaghetti
10-28-2012, 06:57 PM
what about tar-x

Da Fats
10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
What you have there is artillary fungus. It's in the mulch somewhere near where she parks at home or work. It grows in standard shredded mulch. You will notice that it has a rock hard cap that protects it. Once the cap is scrapped off it can be cleaned with claying most likely. My parents had it all over their house and on their cars. They had to have all their mulch removed and now only use wood chips. Try a plastic razor blade on each spot to remove the harder cap then clay the spot clean. That is of course if claying alone does not remove it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

eyost
10-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Have you tried claying?

Oops - failed to include that; yep, the clay will get the raised top off of the spot but still leaves a spot ring remaining.

MTLean
10-28-2012, 07:48 PM
what about tar-x

That was my suggestion also. Had great results on a couple test spot on an upcoming customer's car. Removes the nastiest sapp

eyost
10-28-2012, 07:53 PM
What you have there is artillary fungus. It's in the mulch somewhere near where she parks at home or work. It grows in standard shredded mulch. You will notice that it has a rock hard cap that protects it. Once the cap is scrapped off it can be cleaned with claying most likely. My parents had it all over their house and on their cars. They had to have all their mulch removed and now only use wood chips. Try a plastic razor blade on each spot to remove the harder cap then clay the spot clean. That is of course if claying alone does not remove it.

Well, that is interesting. When I clay the car, the top does pop off but then when I continue to clay with a fresh piece of clay it doesn't budge. It seems like I need some type of solvent to break it down. I will try popping the cap off on some other areas and claying it again. Once the cap is off I can barely feel the spot even with a baggie. It does look like the car got sprayed with this junk; speckled all over although larger amount on the hood and one side of the car.

Da Fats
10-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Did you try polishing to remove the ring? It's Being Shot at the car from the mulch. It aims for light colors and sun reflections

Turboclam
10-28-2012, 08:15 PM
You live in the South? Here in Ga I see those quite often. They come off of a certain tree I believe. The top comes off easy but you have to use a solvent and plastic razor blade/finger nail to remove the rest.

c5errr
10-29-2012, 05:37 AM
usually a light polish will remove them

but the only problem they will be back again and again

it happens with me all the time

i try to wash them off as much as possible without stripping the wax

and clay will remove them but with a little bit of time

Bates Detailing
10-29-2012, 06:11 AM
I surprised that no one has mentioned that these could be spider droppings?!?!? Do you park in an area with quite a few spiders over head? I see this ALOT on boats, RVS, buses, work vehicles at these locations, etc -

Mike lambert
10-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Baking soda and water will remove artillery fungus. My wife works for a landscaper and that's what they use

Kevin Cullen
10-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Have you tried mineral spirits? Let it soak for 30 secs and then wipe off. You will need to reapply wax but since you are using clay that will have to be done anyway.

Da Fats
10-29-2012, 01:22 PM
I surprised that no one has mentioned that these could be spider droppings?!?!? Do you park in an area with quite a few spiders over head? I see this ALOT on boats, RVS, buses, work vehicles at these locations, etc -

It's artillary fungus. Google it and you will see.