PDA

View Full Version : how do you do that?

Pages : [1] 2 3

paradog
04-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Ok I've watched enough videos and I've tried to detail the best I can....please tell me how you professionals can detail an entire car in a few hours when it takes me days! What steps are you taking? What products are you using? Inside or outside?

Your answers should be based on a daily driver that is being detailed and not a cream buff that only sees water when it is washed! I would expect the paint to have swirls, webs, and micromarks as would any daily driver.

Thanks in advance!Feed back please

sparkie
04-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm not a professional, and the fastest I can do a car is around 4,1/2 hours, but its got to be in great shape before hand. I have had car take me over 10 hours to complete. To cut down on time I hit the bad scratches with my rotary first and I mix products together like OC/poli-seal 50/50, so I can go to LSP. XMT 3 works well, then LSP. Do more you do it the faster you get. Daily driver with swirls, OC/poli-seal 50/50 and Edge 2k yellow pad, and sometimes green pad PC setting 6 works well.

supercharged
04-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Ok I've watched enough videos and I've tried to detail the best I can....please tell me how you professionals can detail an entire car in a few hours when it takes me days! What steps are you taking? What products are you using? Inside or outside?

Your answers should be based on a daily driver that is being detailed and not a cream buff that only sees water when it is washed! I would expect the paint to have swirls, webs, and micromarks as would any daily driver.

It takes experience, where you can quickly figure out customer expectations, how many step are you going to take to complete the job, and where to take little shortcuts.

scottgt
04-22-2007, 12:54 AM
yup...practice..practice...practice...get comfortable with a product and you will be able to do one pretty fast...i started off it taking me almost 3 hours to just wash..wax..and interior detail a car...now i have it down to about hour 30 mins...not the fastest..but works for me

klumzypinoy
04-22-2007, 01:02 AM

I take long washing cars still :p so don't worry! I take over an hour, sometimes almost 2, starting from entering through the garage door to rolling up the hose after I'm done (I don't time myself from when I start washing to the end of drying).

dirtyboy
04-22-2007, 01:37 AM
I take long washing cars still :p so don't worry! I take over an hour, sometimes almost 2, starting from entering through the garage door to rolling up the hose after I'm done (I don't time myself from when I start washing to the end of drying).

Same here, it always takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours just to wash, dry, do windows and interior. But everyobody always tells me I'm too laid back and too slow (ok, I like to drink a few beers while I work)

klumzypinoy
04-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Same here, it always takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours just to wash, dry, do windows and interior. But everyobody always tells me I'm too laid back and too slow (ok, I like to drink a few beers while I work)

You're faster than me! I don't even work on the interior lol.

Deepak
04-22-2007, 03:02 AM
I tend to do the exterior and interior on separate days. As cathartic as detailing is, after so many hours I'd be prone to rushing (plus I get 2 detail days for the price of one!)

orngez
04-22-2007, 06:06 AM
pratice and consolidate steps..things like drying you car and then claybarring wastes time...just claybar it while its still wet from the final rinse...if you are going to polish i actually do this all in the sun so i dont have to dry the car...the water spots that do form are going to be polished away anyway and wont have time to etch ..do things in a logical order so you dont have to go over it twice..dont clean the glass first and then start polishing and dressing the interior...you will just have to clean the glass again...find ways to consolidate steps and plan out ahead...5 minutes here and there start to add up very quickly...and if you are using a pc...just know that it takes time to FULLY correct paint with a pc...5-6 hours is the low average for most negeleted cars...with a rotary even a car in horrible shape i can do in under 2 hours...you also need the right tools like a foam gun/pressure washer...plenty of mf towel...applicators...pads...brushes...proper chemicals and polishes....etc...

polishing is usually the most time consuming step...pick quality ones like xmt or poorboys...optimum polishes work great as well but have a looooong working time especially on a pc...they get the job done but it can take awhile to diminish the abrassives down...also make sure you choose the right pad/polish combo...do a test panel to see what the car is going to need to correct the paint...too agressive of a combo and you are going to be two stage polishing for no reason...not agressive enough and you will be polishing possibly three times as much....always start least abbrassive to most when doing your test panel...

easy steps to follow so you dont have to repeat steps

clean and dress interior
wash -including engine bay
clay
dry
dress exterior trim - this prevent polish from sticking to trim and makes it easier to wipe off so you dont have to tape up if you dont want too
polish
wax
glass
final touch up/wipedown

this is the way i USUALLY do it but sometimes i change it up depending on the car,time constraints, etc

klumzypinoy
04-22-2007, 02:15 PM
pratice and consolidate steps..things like drying you car and then claybarring wastes time...just claybar it while its still wet from the final rinse...if you are going to polish i actually do this all in the sun so i dont have to dry the car...the water spots that do form are going to be polished away anyway and wont have time to etch ..do things in a logical order so you dont have to go over it twice..dont clean the glass first and then start polishing and dressing the interior...you will just have to clean the glass again...find ways to consolidate steps and plan out ahead...5 minutes here and there start to add up very quickly...and if you are using a pc...just know that it takes time to FULLY correct paint with a pc...5-6 hours is the low average for most negeleted cars...with a rotary even a car in horrible shape i can do in under 2 hours...you also need the right tools like a foam gun/pressure washer...plenty of mf towel...applicators...pads...brushes...proper chemicals and polishes....etc...

polishing is usually the most time consuming step...pick quality ones like xmt or poorboys...optimum polishes work great as well but have a looooong working time especially on a pc...they get the job done but it can take awhile to diminish the abrassives down...also make sure you choose the right pad/polish combo...do a test panel to see what the car is going to need to correct the paint...too agressive of a combo and you are going to be two stage polishing for no reason...not agressive enough and you will be polishing possibly three times as much....always start least abbrassive to most when doing your test panel...

easy steps to follow so you dont have to repeat steps

clean and dress interior
wash -including engine bay
clay
dry
dress exterior trim - this prevent polish from sticking to trim and makes it easier to wipe off so you dont have to tape up if you dont want too
polish
wax
glass
final touch up/wipedown

this is the way i USUALLY do it but sometimes i change it up depending on the car,time constraints, etc

This is a great guide Orngez. If I wanna clay right after I wash without drying, but have no garage and the sun is shining right on the car, is it safe to clay without getting any water etching?

orngez
04-22-2007, 02:19 PM
This is a great guide Orngez. If I wanna clay right after I wash without drying, but have no garage and the sun is shining right on the car, is it safe to clay without getting any water etching?

i have never had a problem with water etching using this technique even in full 98 degree las vegas sun (this was my worst detail ever)

klumzypinoy
04-22-2007, 02:34 PM
i have never had a problem with water etching using this technique even in full 98 degree las vegas sun (this was my worst detail ever)

Great, thanks! Now I can cut my detail time :)

Reddwarf
04-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Orngez, some great tips there!

Surfer
04-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Takes me about 3 full days for a full detail on something like my suv. Day 1 compound/polish can take hours and hours on an suv, polish/seal glass with AIO, trim, polish/seal rims with AIO etc. Day 2: interior/leather etc, sealant then wait for sealant to set, Day 3 wax. Or if I use a glaze I'll go straight to wax.

ltoman
04-22-2007, 08:42 PM
You get faster with time ane experience, and learning where to cut steps and where not to.
It's like anything else....
Be patient and keep at it! I just washed and waxed our 2006 Saturn Relay (van) in like no time at all, and I did it by hand. Before, that seemed like a long and arduous task at best. Now I thoroughly enjoy it and it seems to go much faster - and the an even seems smaller than it used to!
Just my 2 cents!
Lauren