PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845

Pages : [1] 2

Eandras
10-28-2012, 08:32 AM
All I can say is WOW. Yesterday in preparing for the winter I used Collinite 845 for the first time. The ease of application using a Flex 3401 with a 5.5" Red Finishing Pad was amazing. Once I completed the application buffing off once the product hazed was as easy as the application. I used two microfiber towels to buff to a nice shine. I only applied one coat but will add another coat next weekend.

The only questions I have are the following:

I primed my pad. Does the pad need to be primed?
I put the bottle in hot water for about 15 minutes. It melted but when I went to apply to pad it was a milky texture. Is it suppose to be this thin?
When done do I just leave it in the bottle and it will go back to the original state?

Ed. :buffing:

cmichael258
10-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Does the pad need to be primed?
I have only applied by hand.

Is it suppose to be this thin?
Yes

When done do I just leave it in the bottle and it will go back to the original state?
Yes.

Setec Astronomy
10-28-2012, 09:03 AM
I put the bottle in hot water for about 15 minutes. It melted but when I went to apply to pad it was a milky texture. Is it suppose to be this thin?

I hoarded the pre-VOC version so I haven't used the current, but from what I've read it's not any different. I have never resorted to the hot water...the usual method is to open the bottle and push the plug of wax in the neck down into the bottle with a (clean) screwdriver or similar. Then close the bottle and shake the living wee out of it until it thins out. At that point it should be about the consistency of a normal liquid LSP (lotiony), and should stay that way for several years...if it hardens up again you just need to shake it for a while again. It truly is a very weird substance, that can be a solid or a liquid at the same temperature.

But it is a joy to use.

BobbyG
10-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Hey Ed,

Great conformation of an outstanding product!

When you and I were at the PoorBoy's Detail Weekend over the summer I picked up one of their red foam pads designed for the Flex 3401 and applied Collinite 845 as you've described...simply awesome!! :props:

I found placing 4 dime size globs about 3/4" in from the perimeter of the pad, set the speed setting to 3, place the pad on the paint, and switch it on and I'm off and running. :dblthumb2:

Applying sealants and waxes using this method allows the user to put on just the right amount of product and work it into the paint... :props:

Shortspark
10-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Bobby, as you know I have that new Diamond White ML350 that I use Duragloss 601/111 with a topper of AquaWax after each wash. So far so good. I've heard 845 goes well over Duragloss products but I am wondering what, if anything, I can expect from it. By that I mean in terms of protection the Duragloss is good for six months on its own, especially for my garage queen. I can't imagine the 845 going much longer than that and in any event, I detail and reseal/rewax every few months just for the heck of it, long before the protection is gone.

So assuming protection is not a factor, can I expect the 845 to add something to the Duragloss appearance such as depth or "slickness"? The 111 is shiny as your hiney as is so I am just wondering what the extra step of adding 845 will bring to the mix?

Waxy
10-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Will Collinite 845 stain plastic trim?

ihaveacamaro
10-28-2012, 11:08 AM

I think people use collinite on plastic trim, so I would imagine not lol

jjj
10-28-2012, 11:24 AM

Nope not that in aware of. Works great on bumpers and wonderful on wheels too!!!

FUNX650
10-28-2012, 12:54 PM
It truly is a very weird substance

^^^:iagree:^^^

Wouldn't be something if it's like non-Newtonian fluids that exhibit thixotropic-characteristics!!

:D

Bob

BobbyG
10-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Bobby, as you know I have that new Diamond White ML350 that I use Duragloss 601/111 with a topper of AquaWax after each wash. So far so good. I've heard 845 goes well over Duragloss products but I am wondering what, if anything, I can expect from it. By that I mean in terms of protection the Duragloss is good for six months on its own, especially for my garage queen. I can't imagine the 845 going much longer than that and in any event, I detail and reseal/rewax every few months just for the heck of it, long before the protection is gone.

So assuming protection is not a factor, can I expect the 845 to add something to the Duragloss appearance such as depth or "slickness"? The 111 is shiny as your hiney as is so I am just wondering what the extra step of adding 845 will bring to the mix?

Like many, I used to think the more layers the longer the durability or protection. I've come to terms with 2 or 3 layers of protection maximum is about the most we can hope for, after that I feel we waste good product.....

Duragloss is another outstanding line of products that bond well and protects for several months. Adding Collinite 845 over Duragloss 601/111 will add depth and some protection but anything beyond this is overkill...

PS...I just did the nose on my truck with 601/111 and talk about wow factor!! :dblthumb2:

Eandras
10-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Collinite 845 can stain plastic trim. Their website says it is not for plastic trim.

thanks for all the information.

Ed

Shortspark
10-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks Bobby, that's what I thought. I think I'll try 845 at least once, if for no other reason than to see what it looks like over the white paint.

Setec Astronomy
10-28-2012, 01:04 PM
I use it on trim all the time, just like 476S and #16. Works great. I wouldn't slather it on and let it dry for a week in the sun...that's asking for trouble. Use more of a WOWO approach and you will be fine and protected for a few months.

cmichael258
10-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Wouldn't be something if it's like non-Newtonian fluids that exhibit thixotropic-characteristics!!

:D

Bob[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly :confused:

Waxy
10-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks, from Collinite 845 Tech Sheet
http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/Product-Tech-Sheets-PDF/TTech845pdf.pdf
NOT for use on:
• Rubber, black trim, vinyl, glass or non-painted plastic
• Surfaces NOT recommended above, as testing has yet to be extensively conducted. Refer to Collinite
directly with application inquiries.